Re: Researching a Name Change #general <jeanne4_98@...>

Assuming the name change was done through the legal system and not
simply by custom, you can check the court records. In most states, the
person would petition the local superior court for permission to change
the name. The court reviews the petition, holds a brief hearing and
then grants the change. The petition and court order would be on file.
I do not know whether they are filed under the previous name or the
new name, but since the petition would be in the earlier name, I would
look for that one first.

In some places, it is possible that this function would be handled by a
probate court, or in the case of a child or divorce, a family court.

I hope this is of some help to you.

Please note: I have modified my "reply to" address in an effort to avoid
automated spam. If you wish to reply to me, use the following address:
jeanne4_98 at

Barbara Sloan
New Haven, CT


Join to automatically receive all group messages.