Re: When Can Immigrants Change Name? #general

Joshua Levy <joshualevy@...>

--- Mara Fein <> wrote:
Bottom line, for those of us who wish to find our ancestors in the
Old Country, how can we connect to the old name?
For my family, immigration and naturalization paperwork
contained the old family names. My relatives generally
changed their names when they made the court appearence
to become naturalized citizens. So at the bottom of their
court papers, there would be a little note that the court
also approved changing their names. The paperwork associated
with entering the country would have the original names from
the old country.

Joshua Levy
Researching surnames:
LEVY in San Jose, CA 1850s >from Baveria
FRANK in Albany, NY 1840s
HYMAN in San Francisco, CA 1870s

Joshua Levy < >
Note: I'm having spam problems at my
address, so if that emailbox is full, try

Join to automatically receive all group messages.