Ilene Murray <ilenemurray@...>
Stacey Thornton asked about Castle Garden. Castle Garden was opened on 1
Aug 1855 on an island off the southwest tip of Manhattan. It was owned
by New York City and was the first official receiving station for
immigrants in the U. S. In 1890 the federal government attempted to take
control of Castle Garden, but the city of New York refused, so on 18
April 1890, Castle Garden was closed.
During the time Castle Garden was open, the U. S. Customs Bureau was in
charge of immigration. The Customs manifests have all been microfilmed
and are available to view at the National Archives, the Family History
Library, and many large city libraries that have genealogical sections.
For the most part, they are NOT indexed (although Ancestry.com is
working on that now).
Hope this is helpful.
Ilene Kanfer Murray
St. Louis, Missouri
Searching: WEISBERG in Vitebsk; ZEITLIN in Minsk