Deborah Chernin <dchernin@...>
I am trying to confirm my ggfather's real name when he lived in Bobruisk. His name
in the US was ISIDOR CHERNIN (abt 1877 - 1959). Like many others, he is said to
have been "adopted" by another family (EPSTEIN adopted by CHERNIN, or vice versa)
in order to avoid conscription into the Czar's army. (Ironically, he later
enlisted anyway.) His immigration and naturalization records identify him as
ISIDOR CHERNIN. According to his headstone, his father was ISRAEL ZEV HALEVI
I have records >from Belarus/Minsk/Bobruisk (>from Natl Hist Archives of Belarus)
and have found a few ISRAEL or SROL CHERNINs and other similar entries that could
be him, but nothing definitive.
I have also searched the Belarus websites and, of course, found many, many entries
for names similar to ISIDOR or ISRAEL EPSTEIN. There are some that could be him,
but again, nothing that I can confirm.
Here are the few facts I know about him >from his years in or near Bobruisk:
1. He was a blacksmith in the Czar's army, where he lost his thumb.
2. He married Sarah KAVALEER or KAVALERCHIK in about 1896.
3. They had two children while in Russia - Benjamin (DOB 1898) and Sadie (DOB 1900)
4. BENJAMIN CHERNIN (DOB 1898) went to school while in Russia. He may have been
known as Norman.
5. ISIDOR CHERNIN came to US in 1903. Sarah and the 2 children arrived in 1905.
6. He had a sister or niece that also came to the US. Her name was FRADA YUDIN.
a. At what age would he likely have been conscripted into the Army? and are there
records available of enlisted men?
b. Are school records available?
c. Any ideas for how to confirm if my ggf was ISIDOR CHERNIN or ISIDOR EPSTEIN?
d. Any suggestions for other ways I might be able to confirm his "real" name?
Your help would be greatly appreciated!! I've been stuck on this for years...
CHERNIN, TSHERNIN, TCHERNIN, TZERNIN, EPSTEIN, KAVALEER, KAVALERCHIK
(Belarus-Bobruisk or Minsk or ?)
SPIVAK, ROUJANSKY, RUZANSKY, BEREZA Ukraine (Pyatigore or ?)
KURCZAK Poland (Drobin)
CHAUSMER, ZAUSMER LATVIA (Riga)
PS Please contact me privately if you are interested in records I have re: CHERNIN