Re: Best approach to determining port of entry to US #general

Hilary Henkin <hilary@...>

Dear Howie,

You might want to consider trying to get copies of his naturalization
file. Unless he became a citizen very early (1880-90s, for example),
the documents could have his arrival details. At least, they'll
probably have other information you'll find interesting and useful.

You'l want to narrow down your search as much as possible.

If he lived in a certain area most of his live, for the time being,
assume he became a citizen there. But remember this is only an
assumption,and you may have to consider other regions as well

You'll want to find him in as many US censuses as you
can. Generally, they asked the year the person became a citizen, and
if not a citizen, whether they'd applied ("Pa") or were still a
foreigner ("Al"). If you're lucky, you'll find concensus, and have a
specific year or two to search.

With that information,you can research how to get citizenship records
for your particular locality - JewishGen Discussion Group Archives
can be a good resource. Some indexes may be online, some may on
microfilm and obtainable, and some may be neither.

Keep in mind his name may have been "Americanized" or changed radically.

Good luck!

Hilary Henkin
Atlanta, Georgia

Join to automatically receive all group messages.