Re: Working Backwards from Certificate of Naturalization #general

Diane Jacobs <thegenie@...>

Dear Doug,

Would also like to add another comment - after 1906 not all naturalizations
Were done in US Federal Court. Those that were are at NARA in Manhattan,
But many people naturalized in NY State Court in Manhattan and these records
Are indexed at a fee based online database and also available at the Municipal
Archives Building 7th Floor, Division of Old Records. They not only have the
actual Copies of the petitions in large books, but you can make a copy of the
Petition >from microfilm while you are there.

Diane Jacobs
Somerset, NJ

After 1906, all naturalizations were in the federal district court. You
need to find the archives of the district court in Albany (nearest NARA
branch -- either Pittsfield or Varick St. in Manhattan, I would assume) and
ask them for the naturalization petition. In the petition file, there will
also be a certificate showing the ship on which he arrived. Many NARA
branches have the ship manifests, whcih will show, among other things,
nearest relative left behind in the old country. Both of these documents
will be interesting to you!!

Doug Cohen
Lexington, MA

"Howie Axelrod" <highwind1@...> wrote

I have in hane a copy of my Grandfather's "Certificate of
I am attempting to find his Mother's maiden name, but it is not on
this document. I believe that the actual filing certificate and
associated paperwork would have this. Is this correct?
There is a certificate number, a Petition number, and volume number on
the document. It was issued Albany, Albany County, NY, in 1920.
What is easiet route to get the filing paperwork asssociated with
If I am asking a "basic" question, please indulge me. I am still new
to this.

Join to automatically receive all group messages.