Re: How did my SILVERBERG grandfather get into the US? #general

Sharon R. Korn <s.r.korn@...>

Some early naturalization records can be obtained by writing to the National
Archives and Records Administration in the region where the naturalization
occurred. In my relative's case, I first located the naturalization in the NARA,
Northeast Region, "Soundex Index to Petitions for Naturalization Filed in Federal,
State, and Local Courts Located in New York City, 1792-1906." I found this by
using a well-known online subscription service, but it is possible to find it by
searching I searched the archives site for "Soundex Index to
Petitions for Naturalization" and found there were links to similar indexes for
various areas of the U.S.

When you write to NARA, provide all of the information listed in the index, and ask
for the complete file. There was a $10 fee at the time I wrote (December 2005),
but my check was returned because the quality of the copy available was so poor.
For records prior to 1906, only limited information was recorded. Other family
members and details on arrival in the U.S. were not included, except for the year.
This was recorded as whatever the immigrant stated, which depended on memories
which were sometimes not exact.

Sharon Block Korn
San Diego, CA

KORN, Vienna area > NY; WEILL, Alsace-Lorraine > NC

Join to automatically receive all group messages.