Re: Name changes #germany

RichardMW <richard.werbin@...>

In the U.S. I have had the most success identifying name changes by locating the
person's Naturalization Papers. Sometimes the Petition for Naturalization might
say what the current name was changed from. If you are really lucky, the
naturalization papers will include a Certificate of Landing. That was >from the
port of landing and lists the name that was used on the ship manifest. It will
also give you the date and ship name. That should lead you to the ship manifest.

Remember too that around 1900 in the United States that most people thought that
consistent spelling of their surnames was optional.

Yonatan Ben-Ari wrote:

Is there a source to find out to what family name a person changed to? ex: If a
person was an ABRAMOWITZ as a child and changed his name, can I find out to what
he changed his name?

Join to automatically receive all group messages.