(US): Social Security Agency: are other records available? #general

jeremy frankel

Dear Genners,

We all know that we can obtain a copy of a deceased person's SS-5
(social security application form) but I wonder if the SSA has any
other documents and are these also accessible?

Let me explain, I am assisting a friend in researching her family but
even her father is a huge stumbling block as nothing is known about
him. (He really covered his tracks.) We have his SS-5 form but we
don't believe the names he provided for his parents (my friend never
knew her grandparents, they supposedly died before she was born.) We
don't believe his year of birth (1927) nor where he was born
(California), nothing is showing up in the usual searches one makes.

Hence my reasoning is, when he applied for his SS-5 (in 1951) what
documents did he have to provide (if any) to prove who he was, and
did the SSA make and keep copies? I'm thinking he may have had to
bring in his birth certificate? If he did, this is obviously
something that he couldn't have faked (well, I hope not).

If anyone has had any success in obtaining any documents >from the SSA
other than retrieving the SS-5 please let me know off-line.



Jeremy G Frankel
ex-London, England
now Folsom, CA

Searching for:
FRANKEL: Plock, Poland; London, England
GOLDRATH/GOLD: Praszka, Poland; London, England
KOENIGSBERG: Vilkaviskis, Lithuania; London, England; NY, USA
LEVY (later LEADER): Kalisz, Poland; London, England
Pinkus, Poland; London, England
PRINCZ/PRINCE: Krakow, Poland; London, England; NY, USA

Join main@groups.jewishgen.org to automatically receive all group messages.