Re: Surname change in US Naturalization papers #general

Ira Leviton

Dear Cousins,

Rob Weisskirch asked about a name change >from Max CHARCHIRIN to Max
FISHKIN indicated on his naturalization papers, and whether that's
all that was required for a change of name vs. the formal process
used nowadays.

I answer - a formal name change is done via a court order. The
formal process leading to a court order a hundred years ago was
similar to the procedure used nowadays. However, a petition for
naturalization that is approved and admits somebody as a citizen is
also a court order - and often includes a name change. It
effectively bypasses the rest of the formal court procedure, but is
just as legal. So if the name change is mentioned on the petition,
it's a formal name change.


Ira Leviton
New York, N.Y.

Join to automatically receive all group messages.