Kapochunas, Andrew <KapochunasA@...>
Relevant information >from the "Encyclopedia Lituanica" re Kovno in the 1890s:
A horse-drawn street car began running between the City Hall and the
railroad station (3.5 km) in 1892. The town was first supplied with
electricity in 1899. Out of a population of 53,000 in 1888, 33,400 were
Jewish, 9,400 Catholic (ethnically Lithuanian or Polish), 6,800 Orthodox
(Russian), 2,700 Protestant (mostly of German origin) and several hundred
In 1897 there were 71,000 people living in Kaunas. Besides the three
Catholic churches which had been transformed into Russian Orthodox churches
earlier, a Russian Orthodox sobor (cathedral) was erected in 1895. This
large Byzantine structure, situated at the head of the city's major avenue,
became a landmark unmistakably exemplifying the Russian imprint on Kaunas.
The three high schools were all Russian. The municipal theater, concert
hall, city museum and public library, built during the 1890's, were purely
Russian cultural institutions."