Danny Fantl <dannyfantl@...>
Searching for my mother's family >from Bedzin, Poland.
My mother is Rachel WELNER (born 10/6/1918, although we believe maybe 3-4
years earlier) (married name FANTL). She and her family come >from the town
of Bedzin (near Katowice), Poland. Her parents were Josek (Josef) WELNER
(born 1883) and Chawa (Eva) GRAUER (born 1888). According a 1940 census I
received their address was Gzichowska 24, Bedzin. I believe Chawa GRAUER's
mother was possibly Rachel GRAUER.
Rachel WELNER had the following brothers and sisters:
* Dwojra Laja (Dora/Dorka) WELNER, (born 1923) (who married Usher
(Shimek/Sam) Herzog in Italy and settled in Australia).
* Jakub (Jack) WELNER (born 1908) who was in Gross Rosen concentration camp
2.5 years (and married late in life first to ?, then to Golda? in
* Chaim Szlamo (Salomon/Shlomo) WELNER (born 1904) (who married Andze? and
lived in Australia).
* Szprinca Gitla WELNER (born 1903) married Israel ? with 2 children who all
I believe perished in a concentration camp.
* Judka (Yidel/Yehuda) WELNER (born 1914) engaged (or married?) to Lola ?
both who I believe perished in a concentration camp.
* Rywka (Rivkah) WELNER (born 1918) who married ? and had 4 sons and a
daughter Malka??? and I believe all perished in a concentration camp.
My grandfather, Josek (Josef) WELNER had the following brothers:
* Wolf Jakub (Wolf-Yekhel) (born 1870) married to Ruchla (Rochel-Leah or
Chava-Leah) (born 13/12/1869). According to the 1940 census their address
was Joselowicza 10, Bedzin. They had, I believe 4 sons and a daughter -
Chaim (Siggi) Shlomo Wellner, married to Irma ? and lived in Australia. Srul
Szulim (Israel Shalom) (born 8/5/1907), Judka (Yehuda) (born 31/12/1911) and
Icek (Yitzchak) (born 3/8/1909), and I understood Malka, all perished in a
concentration camp? However, Malka isn't listed on the 1940 census, but
Motel (born 5/6/1917) and Szulim (born 4/8/1919) are listed.
* Aaron WELNER married to ? with a daughter, all perished in a concentration
* Yidel WELNER, married to Riva Marmur?, both I believe perished in a
concentration camp, but had a son Shlomo AST now living in Paris and
* Yitzchak WELNER who I believe perished in a concentration camp.
* Sender WELNER who I believe perished in a concentration camp.
My grandmother, Chawa GRAUER had a sister Freda and a brother Lajzer-Shmule
GRAUER (born 4/8/1919). Lajzer-Shmule GRAUER was married to Chana ? (born
1881). According to the 1940 census their address was Modrsejowska 48?,
Bedzin. One son was Isak/Yitzchak GRAUER (born 17/11/1910) who lived in
Australia and was married to Regina FRYBERG, and had one daughter, Erna.
Other children of Lajzer-Shmule and Chana were Jankiel (born 1/7/1908),
Joachim-Wolf (born 10/3/1912), Rachela (born 5/6/1914), Ruchla (born
30/7/1920) and Chaja-Estera (born 24/4/1924).
Researching: WELNER, GRAUER