Stephen R. Low <steve.low@...>
I will be visiting Iasi and Satu Mare (formerly Szatmar, Hungary), Romania
in June. Around Szatmar, I want to travel to two smaller, nearby towns:
Seini (once Szinervaraljá, Hungary) and Halmeu (once Halmi, Hungary). My
maternal grandmother, Anna (nee WITTNER) Lando was >from Iasi. Seini was the
purported origin of my paternal grandfather, known in the U.S. as Sander
LOW; Halmi was the purported origin of my paternal grandmother, Louise (nee
Regrettably, I speak only English. I wonder whether any list members can
provide advice on the following:
1. A modest-cost place to stay in Iasi and Satu Mare (or either of those two
smaller towns I mentioned). If possible, I would prefer a bed/breakfast or
2. The best means for traveling form Iasi to Satu Mare on land. I would
certainly consider renting a car if that's not overly adventuresome. In Satu
Mare, I would especially like to have the flexibility afforded by a rental
3. Because of the language barrier, I have little hope of researching any
records that might shed light on these or other ancestors, but suggestions
on what to look for and where would be welcome.
4. The desirability of finding a translator or guide to accompany me during
5. Any English-speaking "contacts" in the places I'm visiting.
6. Suggested sightseeing (Jewish and non-Jewish) while in the area.
7. A suggestion on the best way to travel >from Satu Mare to Budapest.
I'm somewhat flexible in my stay: At present, I would arrive in Iasi on a
Tuesday; depart on Friday for Satu Mare; and leave Satu Mare for Budapest
the following Thursday.
My time and capabilities are limited, but if there's any help I can offer to
anyone on the list during my visit, please let me know.
LOW >from Satu Mare/Seini, Romania (i.e., Szatmar/Szinervaraljá, Hungary) to
SCHWARTZ >from Halmeu, Romania (I.e., Halmi, Hungary) to New York
WITTNER >from Iasi, Romania to New York; Manchester, England; Australia
LANDO/LANDA/LANDAU >from Kiliya, Ukraine and/or Kishinev to New York and
Please send replies to me privately. Thank you for any assistance.
Lincoln, MA USA
MODERATOR NOTE: Please don't forget JewishGen's own ShtetlSchleppers travel