Re: Can't "identify" name of Galician ancestral town
toggle quoted messageShow quoted text
A few suggestions:
- In the Gesher Galicia Town Locator (https://www.geshergalicia.org/galician-town-locator/) scroll through the localities that begin with W, to see if anything looks right. (I'm not aware of any town in Galicia that was spelled with a V in the "old days," but W was pronounced like V.)
- If the old tree is handwritten, post an image of the town name, to see if anyone reads it differently.
- Let us know the surname associated with the town, and the names and towns, if known, of other relatives who may have been from the same area.
- One place that comes to mind is Wisnitz
which was in the Austrian "crown land" of Bukowina, which bordered Galicia.
- You might also post your inquiry to the Gesher Galicia Discussion Group. (You can subscribe at https://www.jewishgen.org/ListManager/members_add.asp.)
Also, a question:
- What's your basis for thinking that they were from Galicia?
Renee Stern Steinig
Editor, Gesher Galicia Family Finder
On an old family tree it states that one family came from the town of "Vchmenitz" . I am unable to identify this town using "Town Finder" , JewishGen Gazetteer ,searches in JRI Poland and Ancestry.com . Does anyone have an idea where might be the Galician town of "Vchmenitz"