Re: newbie questions #dna

SVass <SVass@...>

Laurie, you need the y DNA test >from FTDNA for one male member
of each family to prove a common patriarchal for the pair. It
will provide numbers for each location with the sum of the
differences for each location (assuming a common haplogroup)
providing an estimate of the number of generations since the
common sire lived.

Surname projects are less useful for Ashkenazim as most names
were adopted relatively recently. I, personally, have 50
different surnames sharing a common paternal ancestor with me
who lived about 600 years ago.

Both Family Finder (at FTDNA) and Relative Finder (at 23&Me)
use the same chip with similar computer processing to extract
data on autosomal dna to identify cousins on other family lines.
The latter also computes health, mtdna, and y haplogroup data
from the test while the former does not. As was suggested,
getting the 23&Me test and then transferring the data to FTDNA
might make sense.

sam vass
Kent, WA

On Feb 10, 2013, Laurie Budgar wrote:

I've been researching my genealogy for years, but have not
yet used a DNA test, and have lots of very basic questions
about them:
--I'm hoping to confirm a relationship between my family
(BUDGAR) and another family (BUDGOR). This seems like a dumb
question, but to do this do I need to have both my brother and a
male member of the BUDGOR family take the Y-DNA test, or is my
brother sufficient?
--Can I get even more information if my brother (and/or I) take
the FamilyFinder test instead?

Join to automatically receive all group messages.