DNA to prove parentage #dna

Martin Davis <dawidowicz@...>

David Lewin wrote: I am in correspondence with a woman born 1953, who
suspects that her mother did not give birth to her, and is asking for help
to find her birth parents.

David - as you rightly point out, in the first instance your correspondent
needs to clinically prove that she is not her registered mother's daughter.
The simple process would be for both parties to have an mtDNA test - and if
they were significantly different then that would prove the first part of
her case. However, clearly this is not a simple question of each party
agreeing to and then having the appropriate definitive test!

I would suggest that before any thought of seeking a DNA solution or 'going
to law' are attempted, the issues need to be explored via a reputable
specialist agency, such as the UK agency After Adoption
(http://www.afteradoption.org.uk/), which provides adoption support and
family finding services and will be familiar with such cases.

Martin Davis
London (UK)

Join main@groups.jewishgen.org to automatically receive all group messages.