Gesher Galicia SIG
As the new editor of Gesher Galicia's quarterly research journal, the
"Galitzianer," I am delighted to announce the release of the March
2019 issue of the journal.
This issue covers a wide range of towns, topics and time periods--as
well as answers to some interesting questions, like why did the
funeral procession for a renowned physician and academic include many
of Krakow's "ladies of the night"? Why was a surgeon who served
honorably for decades in the Austro-Hungarian army denied the bulk of
his pension? How did the development of the railway system
make it possible for Galician Jews to emigrate--and also difficult for
them not to? In addition to answering these and other questions, this
issue also contains important information for research on eastern
Galician records >from the Ukrainian archives, a discussion of
tombstone inscriptions >from the Jewish cemetery in Kalush, a family
history of a distinguished line of academics and physicians, two
different perspectives on Galician emigration, and a synopsis of
detailed diary entries >from behind the front lines during World War I.
The articles comprising the March issue are:
- "Research Corner: Vital Records of Eastern Galicia" by Tony Kahane
- "A Journey through Generations: The Rosner Family Story" by Anna M.
- ">from Krakow to Manchester: Jewish Migration in the Mid-Nineteenth
Century" by Geoffrey M. Weisgard
- "An Immigration Chain: >from Rohatyn to the US" by Alexander Feller
- "House of Eternity: The Jewish Cemetery in Kalush" by Deborah Schultz
- "Map Corner: Discovering Old Jewish Cemeteries in Galicia" by Jay Osborn
- "The War and Beyond: Bernhard Bardach's Diaries" by Peter C.
Appelbaum and Helmut Konrad
The "Galitzianer" is a membership benefit of Gesher Galicia, though
anyone is invited to submit articles on Galicia-related themes. For
more details on our submissions policy, please visit
www.geshergalicia.org/the-galitzianer/#submissions. For membership
information, see www.geshergalicia.org/membership.
Jodi G. Benjamin
Editor, The Galitzianer
PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS.
Send all inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org