Bessarabia SIG #Bessarabia Jewish Cemeteries in Bessarabia/Moldova - progress report #bessarabia
I want to update you with the progress on Jewish Cemeteries in Bessarabia/Moldova. Some of you might
be surprised that I am writing Bessarabia/Moldova, and not just Bessasrabia... I want you to know that
there towns in Bessarabia, which are not in Moldova, like Khotin, Ismail, Kiliya, Reni, etc., and vice
versa - towns in Moldova Republic, which never been part of Bessarabia (Tiraspol, Rybnitsa, Rashkov,
etc.) Our JewishGen Bessarabia SIG covers a UNION between Bessarabia and Moldova Republic.
You can find inventory of all cemeteries in our region at our website or directly at
Last month we finished Reni Jewish Cemetery, and you can see the report
We are working now on a several cemetery projects:
- Kishinev Jewish Cemetery - we have only one sector completed (#2), and have also photos >from
half of another sector (#4), and about 700 might be ready soon. I also sent another photographer
(Sergei D.) to work in sector #5. The Kishinev photographer (Pavel) promised to work on older
section in the Spring of this year. I hope we will have several sections ready some time in May-June
of this year.
- Brichany Jewish Cemetery - Phase 2 - clearing paths, cleaning, etc. - the team assembled by
Sergei D. finished their job and now another team is indexing photos.
- Lipkany Jewish Cemetery - Phase 2 - clearing paths, cleaning was approved and the work on that
cemetery will be done in the spring of this year.
- Ataki Jewish Cemetery - Phase 2 project is planned for fall of this year or spring of 2020.
- There are a number of cemeteries we did not work yet, like Klishkivtsi, Teleneshty New cemetery,
Gershunovka, Dombrovitsa and a few more. Hope 1-3 cemeteries photograph this year.
Please let me know if you have any questions, suggestions.
All the best,
JewishGen Bessarabia SIG Leader and Coordinator