JCR-UK SIG #UnitedKingdom Re: Marriage, religious and civil #unitedkingdom

Eva Lawrence

Pierre M Hahn asked: In France one needs a civil marriage to be “married”, what
is the law in England?

In England, in 1877, a religious marriage had (and still has) the same
standing as a civil one,. However, it needs to be registered officially
at the General Register Office by attestation >from the presiding cleric.
I've seen copies of affidavits to this effect.

Eva Lawrence
St Albans, UK.

Join main@groups.jewishgen.org to automatically receive all group messages.