Re: Thuringen and Prussian vital records #germany

Roger Lustig

[Going to the list because the question often comes up]

For anything after 1875 that's now in Germany you simply write to the
town's registry office (Standesamt). Note that they're very strict about
access--descendants only. This may be liberalized somewhat in the future.

German Standesamt records for places now in Poland are held at:
--Polish State Archives if 100+ years old;
--Local registry offices in Poland if more recent;
--Standesamt I in Berlin if a copy made it to the west. (These records
were kept in duplicate.)

Before 1875: for Thuringia and Saxony, if they're not filmed, check
Stefi Jersch-Wenzel, ed. _Quellen zur Geschichte der Juden in den
Archiven der neuen Bundeslaender_ (see message archives for pub. info).
For Gnesen/Gniezno, Poland, see JRI-Poland for 1840-7; see Jersch-Wenzel
for other sources. (My notes indicate material of potential interest in
the Gniezno branch of the Polish State Archives.)

To get copies of LDS records without going to the FHC, hire someone to
do it for you. The post-1874 civil registers require some time and
effort, because the Jewish population of most places in Germany was only
a small percentage of the whole. The FHL in Salt Lake and FHCs
elsewhere are staffed by volunteers to a large extent, and their role is
limited to helping you find what you're looking for.

Roger Lustig Princeton, NJ USA Research co-ordinator, GerSIG

Sharon G. Broniatowski MD Cleveland, OH, USA wrote:

Does anyone know where I can write to obtain vital records >from
Barcheld an der Werra (Sachs Meiningen,Thuringen) and Schwarza
(formerly Kreis Schleusingen, Sachsen and Prussia)?
I am interested in birth and death records >from the 1800s. I am also looking
for records >from Gnesen, Prussia (now Gniezno, Poland). Is there a way
to get copies of records >from the LDS without actually going to one of
the family history centers? Thanks for your private reply.

Join to automatically receive all group messages.