JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen Re: Working Backwards from Certificate of Naturalization #general

Doug Cohen

After 1906, all naturalizations were in the federal district court. You
need to find the archives of the district court in Albany (nearest NARA
branch -- either Pittsfield or Varick St. in Manhattan, I would assume) and
ask them for the naturalization petition. In the petition file, there will
also be a certificate showing the ship on which he arrived. Many NARA
branches have the ship manifests, whcih will show, among other things,
nearest relative left behind in the old country. Both of these documents
will be interesting to you!!

Doug Cohen
Lexington, MA

"Howie Axelrod" <highwind1@...> wrote

I have in hane a copy of my Grandfather's "Certificate of
I am attempting to find his Mother's maiden name, but it is not on
this document. I believe that the actual filing certificate and
associated paperwork would have this. Is this correct?
There is a certificate number, a Petition number, and volume number on
the document. It was issued Albany, Albany County, NY, in 1920.
What is easiet route to get the filing paperwork asssociated with
If I am asking a "basic" question, please indulge me. I am still new
to this.

Join to automatically receive all group messages.