JGS (NY) Meeting Sunday, April 27, at 2 PM
at the Bialystoker Synagogue, 7-11 Willet St., New York
JGS members and guests will take a field trip to the Lower East Side for a
private lecture and tour of the historic Bialystoker Synagogue. Founded in
1878, the congregation moved in 1905 to its landmark building on Willet St.,
recently renamed Bialystoker Place.
The synagogue is housed in an 1826 late Federal style building, originally
the home of the Willet St. Methodist Episcopal Church. Among its noteworthy
features is a small break in the wall of the women's gallery that leads to
a ladder in an attic; legend has it that the building was a stop on the
Underground Railroad and that runaway slaves found sanctuary there.
Listed as a NYC landmark in 1966, it is one of only four early-19th century
fieldstone religious buildings surviving >from the late Federal period in
Lower Manhattan. During the Great Depression, a decision was made to beautify
the main sanctuary, to provide a sense of hope and inspiration to the community.
Our guide for this visit will be the synagogue's Rabbi Zvi Romm.
Note: The synagogue is not wheelchair-accessible.
After the synagogue visit, we will proceed to the neighboring Visitor Center
of the Lower East Side Jewish Conservancy where we can view photographs,
memorabilia and artifacts of Jewish immigrant life. Michael Pertain, JGS
Executive Council member and the sponsor of the Visitor Center, will
introduce us to the exhibits which illuminate the world of New York's
Jewish immigrants in the early 20th century.
See our website, www.jgsny.org , or the synagogue's website,
www.bialystoker.org , for more information and travel directions.
Free for member; guests $5.
JGSNY VP Communications
New York, NY