Dear Reseachers, friends, חג שמח
I want to update you with the progress on Cemetery project in our Bessarabia/Moldova region.
- Kishinev Jewish cemetery - we have completed Sector 5 and sent 2,681 burial records with 2,441 photos to JOWBR. We have now total of 5,539 burial records with 4,977 images from 3 sectors 2, 4 and 5). This is probably 25-30% of all graves indexed and photographed.
-- our photographers are working now on Sector 1, 3 and 6. Although the work is so hard. You can see your self at a clip done by Serghey Daniliuk, who is our main photographer in Bessarabia/Moldova: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QeW3wi6gHc This is a clip mostly for the sectors 6 and 8. If you stop at 1:21 you see an old chapel partly destroyed.
From the map at the Burial Registry book, it is written for example that Sector 6 has total of 3,137 graves, and from that number 1,431 are not identified! Please see map attached, in black is sector 6.
- Vadu-lui-vlad (Dombrovitsa) - cemetery is almost destroyed and we were able to read only several inscriptions. We may go to that cemetery one more time, because part of it was not accessible. The records and images are going to be sent to JOWBR by the end of this month.
- Lipkany Jewish cemetery (Phase 2) - this was a Clearing paths project, and a lot of cleaning was done. Another 1000+ images are in process at the "second" reading and confidently be sent to JOWBR in 1-2 months.
- Beltsy Jewish cemetery - another phase was done, and we received 500+ images. We will process them hopefull by the end of this year.
- Brazil, San Paulo, Cemitério_Israelita_da_Vila_Mariana. We have 500+ records (no photos) from a cemetery registry for people from mostly Bessarabia and some also from Kamenets Podolsky, Mogolev-Podolsky, Chernovitz, Yampol. Unfortunately there are no Dates of death in that book, and I am trying to find out if there are records, possible images of these graves.
If you live in San Paulo, Brazil or know someone who is from that city who can help us , please let me know. That would be very much appreciated.
- Ataki, Phase 2 will be done in spring of 2020.
Please let me know if you have any questions, ideas, proposals, or you may know a cemetery which is not in our Inventory list https://www.jewishgen.org/bessarabia/files/cemetery/Inventory201909-September.htm
All the best,
JewishGen Bessarabia SIG Leader and Coordinator