Lithuania SIG #Lithuania JewishGen and Ancestry.com #lithuania
Warren Blatt <wblatt@...>
JewishGen is very pleased to announce that JewishGen.org,
the premier resource for Jewish genealogy, and Ancestry.com,
the largest online resource for family history information,
have entered into a cooperative agreement.
Basics of the agreement:
* JewishGen will make some of its databases available on
the Ancestry website.
* Ancestry will provide hardware and network support for
the JewishGen website.
Benefits of the agreement:
* JewishGen will be able to provide more robust and
functional resources to genealogists throughout the world.
* Specific and immediate improvements will be seen in
the speed of the JewishGen website, along with greater
accessibility when searching databases.
* More people will be exposed to Jewish genealogy and
have access to a greater range of resources to assist in
researching family history.
* JewishGen’s comprehensive records and information,
contributed by volunteers >from around the world, will
continue to remain freely available on JewishGen.org.
Details of the agreement:
* JewishGen remains an independent non-profit organization,
affiliated with the Museum of Jewish Heritage – A Living
Memorial to the Holocaust.
* There will be no change to the JewishGen management team,
structure or affiliation with the museum.
* This new agreement, combined with the generosity of
our donors throughout the world, will allow us to continue
offering all of JewishGen’s extensive resources for no charge.
* All of the JewishGen data licensed to Ancestry will
be freely available on the Ancestry.com website without charge.
* Privacy of personal information for JewishGen users is of
key importance to us. Information about JewishGen registrants
will *not* be shared.
* Personal information stored on JewishGen, such as data in
the JewishGen Family Finder (JGFF) and the Family Tree of the
Jewish People (FTJP), will *not* be shared with Ancestry.
* JewishGen will continue to independently administer the
JewishGen website, mailing lists and affiliates.
* There will be no changes to the content of the JewishGen
website, or any of JewishGen's programs or mailing lists.
JewishGen remains an independent non-profit organization.
Further information, including Ancestry's press release,
is available at the JewishGen blog:
< http://jewishgen.blogspot.com >.
A FactSheet about the agreement is being prepared.
We welcome your questions and concerns. *All* questions
will be answered on the JewishGen blog.
Managing Director, JewishGen
MODERATOR'S NOTE: LitvakSIG is an independent organization whose database,
website and discussion group are hosted by JewishGen. As Warren Blatt
announced at the IAJGS conference during the JewishGen presentation last
Wednesday evening, there will be a link to a LitvakSIG web page >from all
LitvakSIG data found in Ancestry.com search results.