Re: Name Change from Poland to Israel


The Population and Immigration Authority (part of the Ministry of Interior Affairs) provides a service to locate any resident of Israel. 
It is inexpensive (15 NIS) and they can try and locate a person based on previous names as well. Of course, the more information you provide, the more likely it is that they succeed. 
However, you have to reside in Israel in order to file a request.
Here's a link:

On Tue, Feb 4, 2020 at 06:04 AM, joannegrosman joannegrosman wrote:
I am asking for assistance from the community of great genealogy mavens. Is there any way to find out the original European surname after someone has made aliyah and changed their surname into something more Israeli. Relatives tried a few times to find out by contacting an individual with this new surname in Israel, but he never replied. We have letters from years ago with this story, but no conclusive proof. It would solve a question I have carried around for several decades. The family emigrated from Poland circa 1900.

Join to automatically receive all group messages.