Re: somewhat lost

Sarah L Meyer

Start with finding your families in the Census and other US records, such as naturalization, immigration etc.  You can do this using ($),$) or (free).  Start making a family tree in genealogy software. has a free basic version of its Legacy software - and a great user group on FB.  MyHeritage has a FamilyTree Builder which syncs with a tree on their site (however once you go over 250 people there is an annual fee).   RootsMagic has a free version as well.  My personal preference is Legacy although it is not as Jewish friendly as the other two, but it has more options.  Both MyHeritage and RootsMagic also have FB user groups, but they are not as active as the Legacy group, which almost always has employees monitoring the group and beta testers.  Once you have gotten your US roots for your family - include aunts/uncles cousins/grandparents etc - go wide, you don't know whose naturalization will lead to the passenger record and the appropriate location in the "old country"; then you can head to Jewishgen databases.

Sarah L Meyer
Georgetown TX
BIRGARDOVSKY, EDELBERG, HITE (CHAIT), PERCHIK Russia (southern Ukraine) and some Latvia or Lithuania

Join to automatically receive all group messages.