Re: Name Change Document in NYC #names

See question below.

Names can be changed when applying for naturalization.  The naturalization application would be the first place to look.  Otherwise, the name change is done in a court procedure, which may be harder to find.  Also, be aware that in Russian, there is no "H" sound  - it is pronounced like "G".(or possibly a "k" sound)  "Sz"     is pronounced as "sh",  so this seems to be a spelling change rather than a name change. 

10a.  Name Change Document in NYC #names
From: Wendy Packer
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2020 11:35:30 EDT
I'm looking for an official name change document for an ancestor who arrived in NYC from Poland in 1923. His Polish name (Herszman) is listed on the ship manifest, and all subsequent documents list his American name (Kirshman).


Avivah R. Z. Pinski ,  near Philadelphia, USA

Join to automatically receive all group messages.