I am seeking the birth record for my paternal grandmother and/or her siblings. According to the SS Ryndam ship’s manifest, Ernestina STECKMAN immigrated to the United States from Rotterdam on on 10/7/1911. The town/city that is listed as her last place of residence is Liczkowce, Galicia, Austria. According to the SSDI, Ernestina/Esther/Ester Steckman was born on 4/22/1891 and died on 3/4/1981. She married my paternal grandfather Refuel HEBENSTREIT born 3/19/1888 in Belzec, Galicia, Austria, on 4/17/1917.
Ernestina/Esther/Ester was one of five children born to Josel/Josef STEKMANN and Brana/Brono BECKER. According to the JRI-Poland database for Tarnopol Wojewodztwo, Josel Stekmann was born on 1/1865 in the town of Husiatyn, Galicia, Austria.
Ernestina/Esther/Ester Steckman's siblings were:
1. Sime/Sune/Sadie STEKMANN immigrated to the United States from Rotterdam on the SS Rotterdam on 10/14/1912. The town/city that is listed as her last place of residence is Liczkowce, Austria. According to the SSDI, Sime/Sune/Sadie was born 10/14/1893, died 8/15/1989. According to her Petition for Naturalization, she was born in Litckowica, Galicia, Austria. She married Samuel WEBER on 11/17/1917.
2. Celia Steckman stayed in Galicia, Austria, She married a man with the last name HOFFMAN/HOFMAN and had a daughter, Sarah born in 1938.
3. Schemdel/Jenny/Jennie STECHMANN immigrated to the United States from Rotterdam on the SS Potsdam on 7/3/1913. The town/city that is listed as her last place of residence is Liczkoweze, Austria. According to her obituary, Schemdel/Jenny/Jennie was born on 10/16/1898 and died on 5/28/1976. She married James GORDON.
4. Leon STECKMAN stayed in Galicia, Austria. He may have been born in 1903, he married a woman from Warsaw, Poland, who was born in 1913, he traveled to the city of Czernuwitz, Romania in the 1930s with his wife and cousins Malche LINKER and Anna MELTZER, and he may have been living in France in the 1940s.
5. Chaim/Hyman Itzik STECKMAN stayed in Galicia, Austria. He may have been born in 1906.
According to the Gesher Galicia's Galicia Town Locator, the Galician Town Liczkowce is in the Administrative and Judicial District of Husiatyn, the Roman Catholic Center is in Liczkowce, the Jewish Center is in Husiatyn, and the Greek Catholic Center is in Trybuchowce. Therefore, the records of my Jewish ancestors, who lived in Liczkowce, Galicia, Austria, were kept in Husiatyn, Galicia, Austria.
I reviewed 19 birth records, as well as 5 census records, 13 death records, 11 marriage records, and 3 property records, I found after a Unified Search on JewishGen.org of the surname Steckman. None of those records are my ancestors.
When I did a Gesher Galicia Inventory Search of Husiatyn and the town of Liczkowce, I found the following, which are not scanned by JRI-Poland or Gesher Galicia. Where do I go to review these records below?
DescriptionInformation on marriages
Years1855, 1859, 1877, 1879, 1881, 1882, 1886, 1887, 1889, 1890, 1892, 1906