Locating derivative citizenship record of minor whose parent naturalized in 1905. #records


I found on Ancestry a copy of my great-grandfather's (Isaak Sand) naturalization records from the District Court of the United States for the Eastern District of New York, dated December 1,1905. Attached to the court records is a slip of paper with the names of three of his 10 children who filed a derivative application for their own certificate of citizenship in 1946 and 1947. One of the applicants was my grandmother, Esther Sand Frank, who was born in Lodz, Poland and was a minor child when her father was naturalized in1905. The derivative application is dated June 24, 1946 with a file no. 0300 - 121726.

I would like to obtain my grandmother's records. I am not sure if I am applying for her C-file or if she would have one. Where I should apply? Do I need to file an genealogical index request with USCIS as the original naturalization was over 100 years ago (but it was before 1906 ) or can I file a FOIA request since my grandmother's derivative application was made in 1946?  Also I am not sure if it is pertinent, but in 1913 my great grandfather applied for and received a passport for himself and his "minor child", Esther Sand (she was 20 years old at the time). I have a record of them returning from Europe about a month after the passport was issued. Both were listed on the manifest as US citizens.  I have already checked on Ancestry, the "Subject Index to Correspondence and Case Files of the Immigration and Naturalization Service, 1903-1952. NARA microfilm publication T458" and found nothing. Thank you for your help.

Elaine Zimmer

Join main@groups.jewishgen.org to automatically receive all group messages.