Re: Need suggestions for how to search for misspelled family names #records

Sarah L Meyer

Sometimes - especially if you are using US records, search for a child with his/her parents and siblings in the appropriate location with no surname at all.  If you know for example that a child was Fred, his mother Tillie and his father Herman and that they lived in Detroit, put those names into the search.  If you have a birth year for Fred say 1915, then give him at least a two year range around that year - maybe even 5 years.  And if he had a sister Dora, you can also usually add another sibling.  Once you find the right family, then you can edit the surname.  Now that you have at least one Census, you may be able to go on from there.
Sarah L Meyer
Georgetown TX
BIRGARDOVSKY, EDELBERG, HITE (CHAIT), PERCHIK Russia (southern Ukraine) and some Latvia or Lithuania

Join to automatically receive all group messages.