Re: Use of English by European Photo Studios #general

Ava (Sherlock) Cohn

The use of the words "Cabinet Card" "Cabinet Portrait" or "Cabinet Photograph" are generic terms for the type of photographic mounting that measures roughly 4 1/4" x 6 1/2". It does not refer to the image itself but to the card, though in common usage,  many people will refer to the entire card including the image as a "Cabinet Card". The terms, though in English, were universally used so that they do not indicate a specific country. They also do not necessarily indicate that a particular photographer was itinerant or had a studio, unless the studio name is also printed on the card, either on the front or the back or both sides. Photographers bought these cards in bulk from card manufacturers. Cabinet cards were introduced in America in 1866 and were used in Russia at least until the first decade of the 20th century. Ava (Sherlock) Cohn, Illinois

Join to automatically receive all group messages.