Re: Leopold Hoschander Mystery Update #records

Sherri Bobish


I believe that the death of an American citizen abroad is routinely reported to the American Consulate in the country where the U.S. citizen passed away.

It does not mean that he had any other connection to the consulate or embassy.

The following information from this site may be helpful to you:

Death of an American Abroad

U.S. Embassies and Consulates help family members in the unfortunate event of the death of an American citizen in a foreign country by:

The Consular Report of Death is required in U.S. legal proceedings instead of the foreign death certificate. You may get up to 20 certified copies of this document at no charge from the U.S. Embassy or consulate in the country where the death occurred. To request a Consular Report of Death for a specific country, select "Death of a U.S. Citizen" under U.S. Citizen Services on the embassy's website. For additional copies, contact the Passport Services Vital Records Office at 1-202-485-8300


Sherri Bobish

Join to automatically receive all group messages.