Survivors Returning to Sighet and Maramures
We are in the process of indexing some interesting new records for Maramaros-Maramures researchers! These are the books that registered returning persons from the Shoah, and recorded accounts of money and goods, such as clothing, food, and bedding that were provided to the returners.
There are two record books in this set:
· Book I, Returning Persons to Sighet, Maramures, Romania, and
· Book II, Returning Persons from various towns to Maramures, Romania.
These books were kept in the Jewish Community Center in Sighet, Maramures, Romania. They are not in the Romanian National Archives, so far as we know.
The fields of information indexed in this set, for either of the books, are as follows:
· Record number, organized alphabetically, by first letter of surname. And then by registration or arrival date after the Shoah
· Date of return or registration
· Surname and Given name of returned person
· Town of residence, with street address where available (primarily in Sighet). It is not clear if this address is where the person lived before deportation, or where they were living at the time of their registration
· Occupation, translated from Romanian as possible
· Date of birth
· Surname and given name of the mother
· Place from which the person was deported
· Place where the person was interned
· Record number. It is unclear what this number represents. In many cases it appears to be the ID given inmates in the camps, but there is no explanation in the record.
Not included as a field in the index where the record kept on money provided to the returning persons, or records of food, bedding and clothing distributed to the persons.
You can search the records in the Holocaust database, and the Hungarian and Romanian databases. You can also search it through a general search.
We thank the following individuals who have devoted much time and effort to indexing these materials:
Daniel Horowitz, who located the records, arranged permission from the Jewish Community Center in Sighet, Romania, to photograph the pages, made the images, and then stitched them together beautifully!
Indexers Ronald Wagmann, Ida Gold, Suzanne Geroe, and Sandy Malek for the Sighet book. Sandy Malek for the Maramures book. Special thanks to Vivian Kahn and Nolan Altman for all support freely given!
The book of Sighet returners is now available on JewishGen, and contains in excess of 2100 records. The book of Maramures returners will be available shortly, and will contain in excess of 5000 additional records.
Coordinator of the Maramures Records Indexing Project of the Hungarian Research Division
#general, #holocaust, #hungary, #romania