Re: Polish/Austrian Jewish or NO? #poland #usa


Hi Julie

The first step should be to search and find all documents in the United States about your grandmother and her parents who could contain their places and dates of birth in Poland. This are the passenger manifest, naturalisation papers, passport applications, marriage and death records and military papers like World War I Draft Card or World War II Draft Card. All this sorts of documents are online on familysearch. Naturalisation papers often also mention if the person immigrated with another surname than later used in the United States which is often the case with Eastern European surnames. Once you know their place of birth you can find the church records on the relevant polish archives websites which have such records online or the Jewish records on JewishGen or Gesher Galicia.

Corinne Iten

Join to automatically receive all group messages.