Date   

Re: Baden Jewish Cemetery - Hebrew Name deciphering help needed #austria-czech

Tomer Brunner
 

Many thanks to Celia for the idea and especially for sending the following
link:
http://www.grave-pictures.at/orion/album_showpage.php?pic_id=7780

The tombstone on the left is of Rabbi Binyamin Zeev (Wolf / Wilhelm) REICH,
who was the rabbi of Baden and died in 1929.
He was the brother of my g-g-grandmother!
More details about him can be found on: www.juedischegemeinde.at

The one on the right is of his wife, Sarl REICH. (this is quite interesting,
as my records show different name, for his 2 wifes)

Regarding the other tombstone:
http://www.grave-pictures.at/orion/album_showpage.php?pic_id=7756

I can read the first name: Elia, son of David Dov.
The surname looks like HERMAN, or at least starts with HER...

Best regards,
Tomer Brunner, Israel


Austria-Czech SIG #Austria-Czech Re: Baden Jewish Cemetery - Hebrew Name deciphering help needed #austria-czech

Tomer Brunner
 

Many thanks to Celia for the idea and especially for sending the following
link:
http://www.grave-pictures.at/orion/album_showpage.php?pic_id=7780

The tombstone on the left is of Rabbi Binyamin Zeev (Wolf / Wilhelm) REICH,
who was the rabbi of Baden and died in 1929.
He was the brother of my g-g-grandmother!
More details about him can be found on: www.juedischegemeinde.at

The one on the right is of his wife, Sarl REICH. (this is quite interesting,
as my records show different name, for his 2 wifes)

Regarding the other tombstone:
http://www.grave-pictures.at/orion/album_showpage.php?pic_id=7756

I can read the first name: Elia, son of David Dov.
The surname looks like HERMAN, or at least starts with HER...

Best regards,
Tomer Brunner, Israel


Baden Jewish Cemetery - Hebrew Name deciphering help needed #austria-czech

Celia Male <celiamale@...>
 

Mathilde Tagger [Jerusalem] wrote: "Incase any of you needs the translation of
a Hebrew tombstone inscription, please give me the exact url of the tombstone
photo, I'll translate it with pleasure!"

Thank you Mathilde for that generous offer, but it is not as straightforward as
that. There are indeed Hebrew inscriptions to decipher, where we know the name
and I also have quite a few translations. We know the names on about 500
tombstones. The *main problem* is identifying the names on the 107 tombstones
that have only Hebrew lettering. The inscriptions can come later.

Baden Jewish cemetery now on-line at: http://www.grave-pictures.at/orion/
Click on Baden and then click on category "Hebraische" and there you will see
the 107 graves which we cannot match with a name. All I need to know is the
name on each and then I can tell you more as I have a book about the cemetery
and we have the IKG database.

If about 10 people who can read Hebrew will volunteer, I will coordinate.
Please let me know. Thus this stone I happen to know >from my book [which may be
wrong!] belongs to "Ester Malka daughter of Jecheskel SPRINGER >from the town of
Mascizka? Died 21 Month Schwat 671 ie 1 Feb 1911"

I have just entered this onto the database: now at least we know it is a
SPRINGER grave and can be indexed as SPRINGER in the search field: "Here lies
the unmarried, tender daughter Ester Malka {SPRINGER} daughter of Jecheskel
SPRINGER >from Masziska? died 21 Schwat, 671 {1 Feb 1911} {Grave 1120/ S1437}

The IKG database gives this: SPRINGER Amalie 02.02.1911 Baden with a different
grave no: L3 910 [Numbering systems changed].

http://www.grave-pictures.at/orion/album_showpage.php?pic_id=7777

Thus as an example, can anyone make out the names here:

http://www.grave-pictures.at/orion/album_showpage.php?pic_id=7756
http://www.grave-pictures.at/orion/album_showpage.php?pic_id=7780

There is also a surprise you will notice if you log on to the Baden database,
but I will write about it in more detail in a day or so.

Celia Male [U.K.]


Austria-Czech SIG #Austria-Czech Baden Jewish Cemetery - Hebrew Name deciphering help needed #austria-czech

Celia Male <celiamale@...>
 

Mathilde Tagger [Jerusalem] wrote: "Incase any of you needs the translation of
a Hebrew tombstone inscription, please give me the exact url of the tombstone
photo, I'll translate it with pleasure!"

Thank you Mathilde for that generous offer, but it is not as straightforward as
that. There are indeed Hebrew inscriptions to decipher, where we know the name
and I also have quite a few translations. We know the names on about 500
tombstones. The *main problem* is identifying the names on the 107 tombstones
that have only Hebrew lettering. The inscriptions can come later.

Baden Jewish cemetery now on-line at: http://www.grave-pictures.at/orion/
Click on Baden and then click on category "Hebraische" and there you will see
the 107 graves which we cannot match with a name. All I need to know is the
name on each and then I can tell you more as I have a book about the cemetery
and we have the IKG database.

If about 10 people who can read Hebrew will volunteer, I will coordinate.
Please let me know. Thus this stone I happen to know >from my book [which may be
wrong!] belongs to "Ester Malka daughter of Jecheskel SPRINGER >from the town of
Mascizka? Died 21 Month Schwat 671 ie 1 Feb 1911"

I have just entered this onto the database: now at least we know it is a
SPRINGER grave and can be indexed as SPRINGER in the search field: "Here lies
the unmarried, tender daughter Ester Malka {SPRINGER} daughter of Jecheskel
SPRINGER >from Masziska? died 21 Schwat, 671 {1 Feb 1911} {Grave 1120/ S1437}

The IKG database gives this: SPRINGER Amalie 02.02.1911 Baden with a different
grave no: L3 910 [Numbering systems changed].

http://www.grave-pictures.at/orion/album_showpage.php?pic_id=7777

Thus as an example, can anyone make out the names here:

http://www.grave-pictures.at/orion/album_showpage.php?pic_id=7756
http://www.grave-pictures.at/orion/album_showpage.php?pic_id=7780

There is also a surprise you will notice if you log on to the Baden database,
but I will write about it in more detail in a day or so.

Celia Male [U.K.]


Betty BRYK, Mirjam BRYK #austria-czech

Oliver Bryk <oliverbryk@...>
 

The IKG cemetery database includes Betty BRYK b. 8/31/1877, d. 1/19/1877
(Waehring); and Mirjam BRYK, b. 1883, d. 6/4/1887 (Zentral).
I would like to determine whether I am related to either or both of them.
Does anyone either recognize these names, has seen documents referring to
them and/or their spouses/parents or seen a photograph of their tombstones?
Oliver Bryk, San Francisco


Austria-Czech SIG #Austria-Czech Betty BRYK, Mirjam BRYK #austria-czech

Oliver Bryk <oliverbryk@...>
 

The IKG cemetery database includes Betty BRYK b. 8/31/1877, d. 1/19/1877
(Waehring); and Mirjam BRYK, b. 1883, d. 6/4/1887 (Zentral).
I would like to determine whether I am related to either or both of them.
Does anyone either recognize these names, has seen documents referring to
them and/or their spouses/parents or seen a photograph of their tombstones?
Oliver Bryk, San Francisco


Re: Mortuary noted as place of death #unitedkingdom

jeremy frankel
 

Dear Kirsten,

As some of us have already discovered, within the Greater London
area, some 90% of all coroner records have been destroyed.

My only suggestion is to seek out a local newspaper (in this case the
"Ham and High") for the period and see if there was a report. I did
this with respect to a great grandmother who died and there was a
coroner's report (which no longer existed) and the account was almost
verbatim of the coroner's report.

Good luck,

--
Jeremy G Frankel
ex Edgware, London, England
Berkeley, California, USA

EBIN: Russia -> New York, USA
FRANKEL: Poland -> London, England
GOLD (RATH): Praszka, Poland -> London, England
KOENIGSBERG: Vilkaviskis, Lithuania -> London, England -> NYC, NY, USA
LEVY (later LEADER): Kalisz, Poland -> London, England
PRINCZ/PRINCE: Krakow, Poland -> London, England -> NYC, NY, USA


JCR-UK SIG #UnitedKingdom Re:Mortuary noted as place of death #unitedkingdom

jeremy frankel
 

Dear Kirsten,

As some of us have already discovered, within the Greater London
area, some 90% of all coroner records have been destroyed.

My only suggestion is to seek out a local newspaper (in this case the
"Ham and High") for the period and see if there was a report. I did
this with respect to a great grandmother who died and there was a
coroner's report (which no longer existed) and the account was almost
verbatim of the coroner's report.

Good luck,

--
Jeremy G Frankel
ex Edgware, London, England
Berkeley, California, USA

EBIN: Russia -> New York, USA
FRANKEL: Poland -> London, England
GOLD (RATH): Praszka, Poland -> London, England
KOENIGSBERG: Vilkaviskis, Lithuania -> London, England -> NYC, NY, USA
LEVY (later LEADER): Kalisz, Poland -> London, England
PRINCZ/PRINCE: Krakow, Poland -> London, England -> NYC, NY, USA


Re: danzig digest: February 11, 2007 #germany #poland #danzig #gdansk

Bill.Williams@...
 

I am currently doing some research for a friend & looking for any
information or links to the Hoffmann family in Danzig (Langfuhr).

Particularly a Georg Franz Hoffmann born in Dazig 28th Feb 1889 (master
baker) with parents georg Hoffmann and mother Rosalie (nee junsky).

wk_williams@btopenworld.com or bill.williams@raytheon.co.uk

Regards

Bill Williams, England
wk_williams@btopenworld.com or bill.williams@raytheon.co.uk


Danzig/Gedansk SIG #Danzig #Gdansk #Germany #Poland Re: danzig digest: February 11, 2007 #danzig #gdansk #germany #poland

Bill.Williams@...
 

I am currently doing some research for a friend & looking for any
information or links to the Hoffmann family in Danzig (Langfuhr).

Particularly a Georg Franz Hoffmann born in Dazig 28th Feb 1889 (master
baker) with parents georg Hoffmann and mother Rosalie (nee junsky).

wk_williams@btopenworld.com or bill.williams@raytheon.co.uk

Regards

Bill Williams, England
wk_williams@btopenworld.com or bill.williams@raytheon.co.uk


Was/Pincus Hirshbein found! - Now/Forsyth St, New York #general

Yehudh bn Shlmo
 

--- Dovie <gelerinter13@yahoo.com> wrote:

. . .checked out the most likely one, but I was
looking for 67 Forsyth and they only had even
numbers . . .
Maybe it just me, but I have seen oh so many ship
manifests with Jewish immigrants traveling to Forsyth
Steet in Manhattan. All were low addresses like the
one above, and the majority in the 20 range. Possibly
someone who knows the Jewish history of Manhattan in
the early 20th Century could enlighten me on what drew
them to this location.

Yehudah ben Shlomo
U.S.A


Kate and Otto KUZNITZKY-Hamburg and London #general

Abuwasta Abuwasta
 

Dear Siggers and Genners,
About 2 years ago I was trying to trace 2 KOENIGSBUCH
brothers >from Hamburg who were on the Kindertransport.
They stated in 1948 that they had a relative in London
called Kate Kuznitzky.Further I found that she was
born in Hamburg in 1899.
Last March I managed to locate one of the brothers who
changed his name and lives in Canada.
A few days ago I made another discovery and
established contact with a lady in Germany who
remembers that Kate and her husband Otto KUZNITZKY
lived in the 1960s in Wimbledon.They were somehow
related to the VAN DER WALDE family >from Hamburg.
I wonder whether anyone recalls this couple. They
escaped to England >from Germany in the 30s.
Thanks.
Jacob Rosen
Amman,Jordan


Sora USDIN daughter of Wulf USDIN and Haska SCHRUSTER #latvia

christine usdin <christineusd@...>
 

Subject:Schruster/Usdin
From:"Christine Usdin"


Hello,
Does anyone have informations:

"Sora USDIN is the daughter of Wulf, 60, and Haska SCHRUSTER,
also 60. Haska's birthplace was Vishki and her father was David.
Wulf's birthplace was Varakliani and his father was also David. He
is a butcher. Sora's birthplace is listed as Rezekne. For the place
of origin, both Wulf and Haska are listed as Rezekne and Sora as
Kraslava."

Thanks
Christine Usdin
France
christineusd@wanadoo.fr


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen Was/Pincus Hirshbein found! - Now/Forsyth St, New York #general

Yehudh bn Shlmo
 

--- Dovie <gelerinter13@yahoo.com> wrote:

. . .checked out the most likely one, but I was
looking for 67 Forsyth and they only had even
numbers . . .
Maybe it just me, but I have seen oh so many ship
manifests with Jewish immigrants traveling to Forsyth
Steet in Manhattan. All were low addresses like the
one above, and the majority in the 20 range. Possibly
someone who knows the Jewish history of Manhattan in
the early 20th Century could enlighten me on what drew
them to this location.

Yehudah ben Shlomo
U.S.A


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen Kate and Otto KUZNITZKY-Hamburg and London #general

Abuwasta Abuwasta
 

Dear Siggers and Genners,
About 2 years ago I was trying to trace 2 KOENIGSBUCH
brothers >from Hamburg who were on the Kindertransport.
They stated in 1948 that they had a relative in London
called Kate Kuznitzky.Further I found that she was
born in Hamburg in 1899.
Last March I managed to locate one of the brothers who
changed his name and lives in Canada.
A few days ago I made another discovery and
established contact with a lady in Germany who
remembers that Kate and her husband Otto KUZNITZKY
lived in the 1960s in Wimbledon.They were somehow
related to the VAN DER WALDE family >from Hamburg.
I wonder whether anyone recalls this couple. They
escaped to England >from Germany in the 30s.
Thanks.
Jacob Rosen
Amman,Jordan


Latvia SIG #Latvia Sora USDIN daughter of Wulf USDIN and Haska SCHRUSTER #latvia

christine usdin <christineusd@...>
 

Subject:Schruster/Usdin
From:"Christine Usdin"


Hello,
Does anyone have informations:

"Sora USDIN is the daughter of Wulf, 60, and Haska SCHRUSTER,
also 60. Haska's birthplace was Vishki and her father was David.
Wulf's birthplace was Varakliani and his father was also David. He
is a butcher. Sora's birthplace is listed as Rezekne. For the place
of origin, both Wulf and Haska are listed as Rezekne and Sora as
Kraslava."

Thanks
Christine Usdin
France
christineusd@wanadoo.fr


Kate and Otto KUZNITZKY-Hamburg and London #germany

Abuwasta Abuwasta
 

Dear Siggers and Genners,
About 2 years ago I was trying to trace 2 KOENIGSBUCH brothers >from Hamburg
who were on the Kindertransport.

They stated in 1948 that they had a relative in London called Kate Kuznitzky.
Further I found that she was born in Hamburg in 1899.

Last March I managed to locate one of the brothers who changed his name and
lives in Canada. A few days ago I made another discovery and established contact
with a lady in Germany who remembers that Kate and her husband Otto KUZNITZKY
lived in the 1960s in Wimbledon. They were somehow related to the VAN DER WALDE
family >from Hamburg.

I wonder whether anyone recalls this couple.
They escaped to England >from Germany in the 30s. Thanks.

Jacob Rosen Amman,Jordan <abuwasta@yahoo.com>


German SIG #Germany Kate and Otto KUZNITZKY-Hamburg and London #germany

Abuwasta Abuwasta
 

Dear Siggers and Genners,
About 2 years ago I was trying to trace 2 KOENIGSBUCH brothers >from Hamburg
who were on the Kindertransport.

They stated in 1948 that they had a relative in London called Kate Kuznitzky.
Further I found that she was born in Hamburg in 1899.

Last March I managed to locate one of the brothers who changed his name and
lives in Canada. A few days ago I made another discovery and established contact
with a lady in Germany who remembers that Kate and her husband Otto KUZNITZKY
lived in the 1960s in Wimbledon. They were somehow related to the VAN DER WALDE
family >from Hamburg.

I wonder whether anyone recalls this couple.
They escaped to England >from Germany in the 30s. Thanks.

Jacob Rosen Amman,Jordan <abuwasta@yahoo.com>


Re: INTRO -researching SAMUEL and NUSSBAUM families from Dresden and Stolp/Slupsk #germany

Fritz Neubauer
 

Dave Lewak wrote:
"Herbert SAMUEL was born on 5/11/1894 in Stolp-Pommern, near Gdansk (now called
Slupsk). He had a sister named Mehta. His father may have been >named Tsvi.
Herbert moved to Dresden, where he was a grain dealer. He married Ella NUSSBAUM
(see below) on September 3, 1925 in Dresden. Herbert died in Auschwitz."

Dear Dave,
the German Memorial book of 2006 with the title

"Gedenkbuch. Opfer der Verfolgung der Juden
unter der nationalsozialistischen Gewaltherrschaft
in Deutschland 1933-1945" has an entry for:

*Samuel*, Herbert * 11.05.1894 in Stolp residence in Dresden
Deportation: 01.03.1943, Auschwitz

With kind regards

Fritz Neubauer, North Germany


German SIG #Germany Re: INTRO -researching SAMUEL and NUSSBAUM families from Dresden and Stolp/Slupsk #germany

Fritz Neubauer
 

Dave Lewak wrote:
"Herbert SAMUEL was born on 5/11/1894 in Stolp-Pommern, near Gdansk (now called
Slupsk). He had a sister named Mehta. His father may have been >named Tsvi.
Herbert moved to Dresden, where he was a grain dealer. He married Ella NUSSBAUM
(see below) on September 3, 1925 in Dresden. Herbert died in Auschwitz."

Dear Dave,
the German Memorial book of 2006 with the title

"Gedenkbuch. Opfer der Verfolgung der Juden
unter der nationalsozialistischen Gewaltherrschaft
in Deutschland 1933-1945" has an entry for:

*Samuel*, Herbert * 11.05.1894 in Stolp residence in Dresden
Deportation: 01.03.1943, Auschwitz

With kind regards

Fritz Neubauer, North Germany