Date   

Re: Birth certificates #hungary

Toni Valenstein <tovaknits@...>
 

We always thought that my father-in-laws name was Harry (short for
Harold, we were told). When he passed away, my husband's step-mom found
his birth certificate and gave it to us. Not only did we discover that
his first name is really Aaron, but we also discovered that our last
name was originally Wallenstein, not Valenstein. Neither of these were
a misinterpretation either. His Hebrew name is Ari. Also, on the birth
certificate it states that his mother's name was Anna Cohen. His death
certificate states her name as Anna Port????

Toni Valenstein, Long Island, NY
tovaknits@...

WALLENSTEIN/VALENSTEIN: Suwalki
KLURFELD/CLURFELD/BEREZNA/MATT: Kiev, Saraga, Kichenau
GOLDSTEIN/GOLDSMITH/SIEGFRIED: Galicia/Latvia/Austria


He:List of Bergen-Belsen victims. #general

samuel lenger <sdfisr@...>
 

Hi List
Is there on the web a site were I can find the names
of the Jews that died in the Bergen-Belsen camp?
TIA
Sam Lenger


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen Re: Birth certificates #general

Toni Valenstein <tovaknits@...>
 

We always thought that my father-in-laws name was Harry (short for
Harold, we were told). When he passed away, my husband's step-mom found
his birth certificate and gave it to us. Not only did we discover that
his first name is really Aaron, but we also discovered that our last
name was originally Wallenstein, not Valenstein. Neither of these were
a misinterpretation either. His Hebrew name is Ari. Also, on the birth
certificate it states that his mother's name was Anna Cohen. His death
certificate states her name as Anna Port????

Toni Valenstein, Long Island, NY
tovaknits@...

WALLENSTEIN/VALENSTEIN: Suwalki
KLURFELD/CLURFELD/BEREZNA/MATT: Kiev, Saraga, Kichenau
GOLDSTEIN/GOLDSMITH/SIEGFRIED: Galicia/Latvia/Austria


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen He:List of Bergen-Belsen victims. #general

samuel lenger <sdfisr@...>
 

Hi List
Is there on the web a site were I can find the names
of the Jews that died in the Bergen-Belsen camp?
TIA
Sam Lenger


Re: Yiddish name vs. Hebrew name #general

Stan Goodman <sheol@...>
 

On Fri, 3 Sep 1999 04:26:58, jsilverbus@... (Jerome Silverbush)
wrote:

My ggf's name is Motel and I have also seen his name in documents as
Mordko, Mordche and Mordeche
Jerry Silverbush
In other words, his name is Mordekhai, and he has been called by a number
of the standard nicknames for that name.

The author of the original query was under the impression that these are
distinct names, which would be very confusing. What I tried to show
(apparently with little success) is that there is only ONE name, Mordekhai,
however spelled, and that the other names are nicknames or petnames, which
unambiguously mean Mordekhai.

Stan Goodman, Qiryat Tiv'on, Israel

Searching:
NEACHOWICZ/NOACHOWICZ, NEJMAN/NAJMAN, ISMACH, ROKITA: >from Lomza Gubernia,
in Russian Poland
HERTANU, ABRAMOVICI, LAUER: >from Dorohoi District, Romania
GRISARU, VATARU: >from Iasi, Romania

See my interactive tree (requires Java 1.1 or better):
http://www.hashkedim.com

PLEASE NOTE: Messages to the "From:" or "Reply to:" address of this posting
will be deleted automatically, unread. Please change the username >from
"sheol" to "stan". Messages containing HTML-formatted text will also be
deleted automatically, unread; if you want to write to me, send plain text
only.


Is Bayer a jewish name? - Thanks #general

samuel lenger <sdfisr@...>
 

Hi List
I wish to thank everyone to send me answers about the
name Bayer. At the same time a shana tova to everyone of
this marvelous list.
Sam Lenger


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen Re: Yiddish name vs. Hebrew name #general

Stan Goodman <sheol@...>
 

On Fri, 3 Sep 1999 04:26:58, jsilverbus@... (Jerome Silverbush)
wrote:

My ggf's name is Motel and I have also seen his name in documents as
Mordko, Mordche and Mordeche
Jerry Silverbush
In other words, his name is Mordekhai, and he has been called by a number
of the standard nicknames for that name.

The author of the original query was under the impression that these are
distinct names, which would be very confusing. What I tried to show
(apparently with little success) is that there is only ONE name, Mordekhai,
however spelled, and that the other names are nicknames or petnames, which
unambiguously mean Mordekhai.

Stan Goodman, Qiryat Tiv'on, Israel

Searching:
NEACHOWICZ/NOACHOWICZ, NEJMAN/NAJMAN, ISMACH, ROKITA: >from Lomza Gubernia,
in Russian Poland
HERTANU, ABRAMOVICI, LAUER: >from Dorohoi District, Romania
GRISARU, VATARU: >from Iasi, Romania

See my interactive tree (requires Java 1.1 or better):
http://www.hashkedim.com

PLEASE NOTE: Messages to the "From:" or "Reply to:" address of this posting
will be deleted automatically, unread. Please change the username >from
"sheol" to "stan". Messages containing HTML-formatted text will also be
deleted automatically, unread; if you want to write to me, send plain text
only.


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen Is Bayer a jewish name? - Thanks #general

samuel lenger <sdfisr@...>
 

Hi List
I wish to thank everyone to send me answers about the
name Bayer. At the same time a shana tova to everyone of
this marvelous list.
Sam Lenger


Cemeteries in Philadelphia #general

Daniel Kazez <dkazez@...>
 

I would like to call several major Jewish cemeteries in
Philadelphia. I am looking for 2 people buried about 1905-1920.

Are there a few largest or oldest Jewish cemeteries in
Philadelphia?

Dan

Daniel Kazez / dkazez@...
Springfield, Ohio USA
OBERMAN-TALMAN-ENGLANDER-JURKIEWICZ-KAZEZ-FRESKO-ALHADEF
http://userpages.wittenberg.edu/dkazez/dk/page.html


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen Cemeteries in Philadelphia #general

Daniel Kazez <dkazez@...>
 

I would like to call several major Jewish cemeteries in
Philadelphia. I am looking for 2 people buried about 1905-1920.

Are there a few largest or oldest Jewish cemeteries in
Philadelphia?

Dan

Daniel Kazez / dkazez@...
Springfield, Ohio USA
OBERMAN-TALMAN-ENGLANDER-JURKIEWICZ-KAZEZ-FRESKO-ALHADEF
http://userpages.wittenberg.edu/dkazez/dk/page.html


Re: Litofsky as residence on arrival record #general

MarkGrekin <markgrekin@...>
 

lshapski@... (LSHAPSKI) wrote:
<< One of my grandfather's arrival records (there are two, since he first
arrived in NY, was sent up to Canada, and soon afterwards returned to NY by
train) states that his last permanent residence was "Litofsky". I have
been unable to find this name in WOWW or Shtetl Seeker. Does anyone know
where this town was located? >>

In the old days town of Brest was also known either as Brest-Litovsk (as
you mentioned) or Brest-Litovsky. Probably a clerk misspeled "f" for "v"
and just showed only last part of the name. In combinations such as
Brest-Litovsky, Kamenets-Podol'sky, Novgorod-Volynsky, etc. the second
part is an adjective (atribute) that shows where the city (Brest, Kamenets,
Novgorod)is located (thus near Litva-Lithuania, Podolia, Volynia)
There are no such towns as just Litovsky, Podol'sky, Volynsky, though
there are towns Podol'sk, Volynsk (but these are nouns not adjectives).
Mark Grekin


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen Re: Litofsky as residence on arrival record #general

MarkGrekin <markgrekin@...>
 

lshapski@... (LSHAPSKI) wrote:
<< One of my grandfather's arrival records (there are two, since he first
arrived in NY, was sent up to Canada, and soon afterwards returned to NY by
train) states that his last permanent residence was "Litofsky". I have
been unable to find this name in WOWW or Shtetl Seeker. Does anyone know
where this town was located? >>

In the old days town of Brest was also known either as Brest-Litovsk (as
you mentioned) or Brest-Litovsky. Probably a clerk misspeled "f" for "v"
and just showed only last part of the name. In combinations such as
Brest-Litovsky, Kamenets-Podol'sky, Novgorod-Volynsky, etc. the second
part is an adjective (atribute) that shows where the city (Brest, Kamenets,
Novgorod)is located (thus near Litva-Lithuania, Podolia, Volynia)
There are no such towns as just Litovsky, Podol'sky, Volynsky, though
there are towns Podol'sk, Volynsk (but these are nouns not adjectives).
Mark Grekin


SS-5 for KARMAZIN/VITENSKY #general

Harriet Brown <hnbrown@...>
 

Hello,

I sent off for an SS-5 for someone in my family and got one that doesn't
belong to me. The name is Esther KARMAZIN, nee VITENSKY, born 1899 in
Poland, living in New York City in 1943.

If this is yours, please let me know and I will send it to you.

--Harriet Brown
Madison, WI


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen SS-5 for KARMAZIN/VITENSKY #general

Harriet Brown <hnbrown@...>
 

Hello,

I sent off for an SS-5 for someone in my family and got one that doesn't
belong to me. The name is Esther KARMAZIN, nee VITENSKY, born 1899 in
Poland, living in New York City in 1943.

If this is yours, please let me know and I will send it to you.

--Harriet Brown
Madison, WI


Re: Sorting the data #poland

David Sharfarz <dsharfarz@...>
 

Import the file into Microsoft Access, which is a database program with much
better sorting capabilities than Excel.

David Sharfarz

ada01@... wrote:

Dear JRIERS,

I am the Plockoordinator:-), and sent more than 14000 records during
the past year, while many more still to be posted in the future, mainly
from the Russian years of the Mormons microfilms >from the town of Plock.
I have a problem. I need your advise.
I have all the data sent to JRI database. It is in Excel. I want to sort
the data according the surnames and than the type and than the year.
I need to sort of differently when it is M - marriages.
When type is M, the sort key should be the surname of husband, but
the Surname of the bride should be under it.

How do I do that?

Thanks in advance for the tip, shalom,

Ada
-------------------------------------
E-mail: ada01@...
Date: 09/02/99
Time: 22:06:08
Web site:http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/4017/
-------------------------------------

This list (jri-pl@...) is hosted by
JewishGen: The Home of Jewish Genealogy
Visit our home page at http://www.jewishgen.org
Visit JRI-PL at http://www.jewishgen.org/jri-pl/
---
You are currently subscribed to jri-pl as: dsharfarz@...
To unsubscribe send email to $subst('Email.Unsub')


JRI Poland #Poland RE: Sorting the data #poland

David Sharfarz <dsharfarz@...>
 

Import the file into Microsoft Access, which is a database program with much
better sorting capabilities than Excel.

David Sharfarz

ada01@... wrote:

Dear JRIERS,

I am the Plockoordinator:-), and sent more than 14000 records during
the past year, while many more still to be posted in the future, mainly
from the Russian years of the Mormons microfilms >from the town of Plock.
I have a problem. I need your advise.
I have all the data sent to JRI database. It is in Excel. I want to sort
the data according the surnames and than the type and than the year.
I need to sort of differently when it is M - marriages.
When type is M, the sort key should be the surname of husband, but
the Surname of the bride should be under it.

How do I do that?

Thanks in advance for the tip, shalom,

Ada
-------------------------------------
E-mail: ada01@...
Date: 09/02/99
Time: 22:06:08
Web site:http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/4017/
-------------------------------------

This list (jri-pl@...) is hosted by
JewishGen: The Home of Jewish Genealogy
Visit our home page at http://www.jewishgen.org
Visit JRI-PL at http://www.jewishgen.org/jri-pl/
---
You are currently subscribed to jri-pl as: dsharfarz@...
To unsubscribe send email to $subst('Email.Unsub')


Re: Sorting the data #poland

MILTGOLD@...
 

In a message dated 9/2/99 3:33:23 PM, ada01@... wrote:

<<It is in Excel. I want to sort
the data according the surnames and than the type and than the year.
I need to sort of differently when it is M - marriages.
When type is M, the sort key should be the surname of husband, but
the Surname of the bride should be under it.
I would check an Excel manual, or perhaps the Microsoft.com site which will
direct you to technical support for Excel. But, >from my light Excel user
level--- isn't this just a matter of going to the toolbar, the sort function,
and setting the soft categories to be first one sort then the second sort
(Husband surname, and within that, Bride name)?

Milton R. Goldsamt
Research Statistician
miltgold@...


JRI Poland #Poland Re: RE: Sorting the data #poland

MILTGOLD@...
 

In a message dated 9/2/99 3:33:23 PM, ada01@... wrote:

<<It is in Excel. I want to sort
the data according the surnames and than the type and than the year.
I need to sort of differently when it is M - marriages.
When type is M, the sort key should be the surname of husband, but
the Surname of the bride should be under it.
I would check an Excel manual, or perhaps the Microsoft.com site which will
direct you to technical support for Excel. But, >from my light Excel user
level--- isn't this just a matter of going to the toolbar, the sort function,
and setting the soft categories to be first one sort then the second sort
(Husband surname, and within that, Bride name)?

Milton R. Goldsamt
Research Statistician
miltgold@...


Re: Sorting the data #poland

Ernest Fine <efine@...>
 

Ada, and others who are interested in solving this type of problem, the
easiest and quickest way to do this is to add another column to the
spreadsheet; this new column will contain either the surname of the
husband, or the surname of the bride. It then becomes one of the sort keys.

To create the contents of this column, an "IF" statement is used.

Let's say the spreadsheet looks something like:

column A = husband surname
column B = bride surname
column C = Type code
column D = new column for surname

In column D, in whatever row the data starts in, place the following
statement. For the sake of example, I am using row "5."

=IF(C5="M",A5,B5)

This will result in cell D5 being filled with the contents of cell A5 if
the type code is "M", and D5 being filled with the contents of cell B5 if
A5 is NOT "M." (If using a lower-case "m" - type that value instead of "M"
- it has to match exactly.)

Then, you will do a "fill down" on the formula, to place the formula in all
rows. To do this, click on the first formula cell (the one you just typed
the "IF" statement into, C5 in our example here), and drag, with the mouse,
down that one column so all rows are highlighted. Then perform the "fill"
operation - press the "Ctrl+D" keys.

(Alternatively, since this is a large spreadsheet, click on the first
formula cell, then scroll down to the last formula cell; hold down the
Shift key, and click that last cell. This will highlight all rows
inbetween. Then press the Ctrl+D keys for the fill operation.)

NOTE: the directions above are for Excel 97. Process is similar for other
spreadsheets but exact statements may vary.

Ernie Fine
Vienna, VA, USA

At 10:06 PM 9/2/99 PDT, you wrote:
Dear JRIERS,

I am the Plockoordinator:-), and sent more than 14000 records during
the past year, while many more still to be posted in the future, mainly
from the Russian years of the Mormons microfilms >from the town of Plock.
I have a problem. I need your advise.
I have all the data sent to JRI database. It is in Excel. I want to sort
the data according the surnames and than the type and than the year.
I need to sort of differently when it is M - marriages.
When type is M, the sort key should be the surname of husband, but
the Surname of the bride should be under it.

How do I do that?

Thanks in advance for the tip, shalom,

Ada
[snip]


Re: seeking information #poland

MILTGOLD@...
 

In a message dated 9/2/99 11:19:42 AM, Lffriedman@... wrote:

<<the surname was Chilko
and she was >from Milesczyce. >>

Any other researchers of this surname listed at Jewishgen.org on the JGFF?
Have you looked for that surname at avotaynu.com, their database of surnames
appearing in various genealogical sources? You also could check the town
name "Milesczyce" in the Jewishgen.org/shetlseeker but use the phonetic
spelling (Daitch-Motokoff coding) and not specify any country to find out
where the town was located, and print off the map, to see where it's located
and major towns near it. You could enter the surname in the Social Security
Death Index at ancestry.com/ssdi/advanced.html, to track down others with the
name, and send for their social security applications, at $7 each to learn
their addresses and parentage. And perhaps you'd be lucky to find possible
relatives in the USA by entering the surname in switchboard.com, the Internet
computerized telephone directory.

Best of luck!

Milt Goldsamt
miltgold@...