Date   

Trying to find Jaime Glass #general

Luiz Alfredo Lilienthal <lilienth@...>
 

Dear Genners,
I am sending this message on behalf of a relative of mine, Werner
Fellner, who is looking for Jaime Glass, the son of his cousin, to recover
contact and to settle some reparation issues. This gentleman used to live
in Sao Paulo, Brazil. He is the son of Margot Glass, nee Ehrlich, who died
in 1986 in Sao Paulo. I already tried to find him through all data bases
I could discover here in Brazil (phone directories, e-mail directories,
etc), without success. Should you know or have contact to someone with
this name, even outside Brazil, please get in touch with me privately.
TIA.
Best regards,
Luiz Lilienthal
Sao Paulo, Brazil
lilienth@usp.br


Re: Andre CITROEN #general

Tilford Bartman <bartmant@...>
 

Hi,

There was a Dr. Tobiasz Cytron in Bialystok Poland who worked in the
Ghetto hospital during WW II. He ended up surviving Auschwitz. I
recently had a statement of his given to the Jewish Historical
Commission of Bialystok Febuary 1946 translated to English. I have it
posted on my website. Here is the address,
www.zabludow.com/BialystokChildren.htm

Best Regards,
Tilford Bartman


Re: Given name Koona? #general

Edward Andelman <andelman@...>
 

In my family, the names Chuna/Elchuna/Juda (1800s--gg/uncles/cousins and
Elka my gg/mother are frequently given on the maternal side. Julius
seems to have been used in the 1900s relating back to those ancestors
and I was named Eleanore.

As has been expressed before, anglicized names weren't necessarily exact
adaptations. Sometimes the first letter or even "sound" of a Yiddish
name was used. And then again the only reference to the relative being
remembered is the given Yiddish name; there isn't any set rule.

E. Jeanne Blitzer Andelman
andelman@oh.verio.com
Researching:
Mielnitza/Mielnica, Galicia, Austria, now Mel'nitza
Podolskaya,Ukraine--FLEISCHMAN, REITER, BLITZER, ZUKER-REINSTEIN
Tarnapol/Ternopil--FLEISCHMAN, REITER
Kudrynce, Bukovina, Austria, now Kudrintsy, Ukraine--REINSTEIN,
ZUKER,BLITZER

ADAVIS wrote:

recently discovered ketubah for my great grandmother Clara Rachlin
lists her as Koona Sipora bas Moshe (kaf vav nun heh, samech peh resh ?).
Zipora I get, but Koona? Maybe I'm not pronouncing it right. I always
associated Clara with Gitl or Gute... Thoughts?


Re: occupation "cutter" #general

Bruce W. Goldstein <metfan14@...>
 

At 07:08 AM 12/23/2000 -0500, you wrote:
A "cutter" was a person in the garment trades who cut large stacks of
cloth into the pieces that were sewn together (i.e., using a pattern. My
understanding is that this was a frequent occupation for men in the
garment industry.
My father was a cutter for nearly 40 years with Eastern Isles (ladies
pajamas and lingerie). Indeed they followed a pattern (like a blue print).
This was placed on top of a fairly high stack of cloth. Usually these were
cloths of different colors and/or design. In some cases, a very
experienced cutter would help or even design the "blue print", so that
they could maximize the number of "pieces", in the smallest and most
efficient layout. The cutting instrument was very powerful. It looked like
a saber saw with a thyroid condition. It had a sharp blade about 10 to 12
inches high. It was electric. It could also run away >from you, if you did
not have a strong and steady hand. I tried it a few times, when I was a
child, and it nearly dragged me across the cutting table.

Bruce W. Goldstein
Glen Rock, NJ
Researching: ICHWEJT, KELCHEFSKY, MAY, ISAACSON


Looking for Hungarians from Hajduboszormeny living now anywhere #general

Julianna Torok <juliannatorok@...>
 

Please help me.
I must write 25 pages till jan. 10th!
I~m interested in:
Anything about the Holocaust-in your life,
but **only** with town Hajduboszormney (Eastern-Hungary).
Maybe u were 1 of the ~1000 jews living here.
Thank u!!
Julianna Torok
juliannatorok@hotmail.com


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen Trying to find Jaime Glass #general

Luiz Alfredo Lilienthal <lilienth@...>
 

Dear Genners,
I am sending this message on behalf of a relative of mine, Werner
Fellner, who is looking for Jaime Glass, the son of his cousin, to recover
contact and to settle some reparation issues. This gentleman used to live
in Sao Paulo, Brazil. He is the son of Margot Glass, nee Ehrlich, who died
in 1986 in Sao Paulo. I already tried to find him through all data bases
I could discover here in Brazil (phone directories, e-mail directories,
etc), without success. Should you know or have contact to someone with
this name, even outside Brazil, please get in touch with me privately.
TIA.
Best regards,
Luiz Lilienthal
Sao Paulo, Brazil
lilienth@usp.br


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen Re: Andre CITROEN #general

Tilford Bartman <bartmant@...>
 

Hi,

There was a Dr. Tobiasz Cytron in Bialystok Poland who worked in the
Ghetto hospital during WW II. He ended up surviving Auschwitz. I
recently had a statement of his given to the Jewish Historical
Commission of Bialystok Febuary 1946 translated to English. I have it
posted on my website. Here is the address,
www.zabludow.com/BialystokChildren.htm

Best Regards,
Tilford Bartman


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen Re: Given name Koona? #general

Edward Andelman <andelman@...>
 

In my family, the names Chuna/Elchuna/Juda (1800s--gg/uncles/cousins and
Elka my gg/mother are frequently given on the maternal side. Julius
seems to have been used in the 1900s relating back to those ancestors
and I was named Eleanore.

As has been expressed before, anglicized names weren't necessarily exact
adaptations. Sometimes the first letter or even "sound" of a Yiddish
name was used. And then again the only reference to the relative being
remembered is the given Yiddish name; there isn't any set rule.

E. Jeanne Blitzer Andelman
andelman@oh.verio.com
Researching:
Mielnitza/Mielnica, Galicia, Austria, now Mel'nitza
Podolskaya,Ukraine--FLEISCHMAN, REITER, BLITZER, ZUKER-REINSTEIN
Tarnapol/Ternopil--FLEISCHMAN, REITER
Kudrynce, Bukovina, Austria, now Kudrintsy, Ukraine--REINSTEIN,
ZUKER,BLITZER

ADAVIS wrote:

recently discovered ketubah for my great grandmother Clara Rachlin
lists her as Koona Sipora bas Moshe (kaf vav nun heh, samech peh resh ?).
Zipora I get, but Koona? Maybe I'm not pronouncing it right. I always
associated Clara with Gitl or Gute... Thoughts?


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen Re:occupation "cutter" #general

Bruce W. Goldstein <metfan14@...>
 

At 07:08 AM 12/23/2000 -0500, you wrote:
A "cutter" was a person in the garment trades who cut large stacks of
cloth into the pieces that were sewn together (i.e., using a pattern. My
understanding is that this was a frequent occupation for men in the
garment industry.
My father was a cutter for nearly 40 years with Eastern Isles (ladies
pajamas and lingerie). Indeed they followed a pattern (like a blue print).
This was placed on top of a fairly high stack of cloth. Usually these were
cloths of different colors and/or design. In some cases, a very
experienced cutter would help or even design the "blue print", so that
they could maximize the number of "pieces", in the smallest and most
efficient layout. The cutting instrument was very powerful. It looked like
a saber saw with a thyroid condition. It had a sharp blade about 10 to 12
inches high. It was electric. It could also run away >from you, if you did
not have a strong and steady hand. I tried it a few times, when I was a
child, and it nearly dragged me across the cutting table.

Bruce W. Goldstein
Glen Rock, NJ
Researching: ICHWEJT, KELCHEFSKY, MAY, ISAACSON


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen Looking for Hungarians from Hajduboszormeny living now anywhere #general

Julianna Torok <juliannatorok@...>
 

Please help me.
I must write 25 pages till jan. 10th!
I~m interested in:
Anything about the Holocaust-in your life,
but **only** with town Hajduboszormney (Eastern-Hungary).
Maybe u were 1 of the ~1000 jews living here.
Thank u!!
Julianna Torok
juliannatorok@hotmail.com


FASS #general

dorothy rivers <dotvic@...>
 

Happy Hanukah, you all >from New Mexico,

I'm looking for information on David FASS, born Tyczyn, Poland, m.
Rachael. He was a quiltmaker, his father was Chaim and his mother Lena
KATZ. David and Rachael came to NY 1904. He died there in 1927, Rachael
died 1935. They had 8 children, all born in Tyczyn: Sheah; Max, m.
(1)Tessie STEINBERG (2)Bella FENICK; Charles,m. Gussie; Earnestine, m.
Oscar BERGSTEIN; Louis, m. Minnie WASSERMAN; Samuel nee Shulem.\, m.
Gussie GERSHON; Solomon, Nathan.

Please let me know if you want more information. Thank you,

Dorothy Auerbach Rivers dotvic@gilanet.com


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen FASS #general

dorothy rivers <dotvic@...>
 

Happy Hanukah, you all >from New Mexico,

I'm looking for information on David FASS, born Tyczyn, Poland, m.
Rachael. He was a quiltmaker, his father was Chaim and his mother Lena
KATZ. David and Rachael came to NY 1904. He died there in 1927, Rachael
died 1935. They had 8 children, all born in Tyczyn: Sheah; Max, m.
(1)Tessie STEINBERG (2)Bella FENICK; Charles,m. Gussie; Earnestine, m.
Oscar BERGSTEIN; Louis, m. Minnie WASSERMAN; Samuel nee Shulem.\, m.
Gussie GERSHON; Solomon, Nathan.

Please let me know if you want more information. Thank you,

Dorothy Auerbach Rivers dotvic@gilanet.com


Re: the name Minka?? #general

Adelle Gloger
 

On 12/24/2000, Howie Zakai wrote:
I found the name Minka in some papers. I believe it to be a sister to my
great-grandfather. I am assuming its a Yiddish name. Would anyone know
what its equivalent would be in Hebrew?? Or if it has any variants..
Perhaps its a nickname?
My father had a sister born in 1902 in Tarnopol, Galicia who was called
"Minka". On the passenger manifest in 1921 she was listed as Mina. In the
USA she was always known as Minnie.

Adelle Weintraub Gloger
Shaker Hts., Ohio
agloger@aol.com


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen Re: the name Minka?? #general

Adelle Gloger
 

On 12/24/2000, Howie Zakai wrote:
I found the name Minka in some papers. I believe it to be a sister to my
great-grandfather. I am assuming its a Yiddish name. Would anyone know
what its equivalent would be in Hebrew?? Or if it has any variants..
Perhaps its a nickname?
My father had a sister born in 1902 in Tarnopol, Galicia who was called
"Minka". On the passenger manifest in 1921 she was listed as Mina. In the
USA she was always known as Minnie.

Adelle Weintraub Gloger
Shaker Hts., Ohio
agloger@aol.com


Re: the name Minka?? #general

Judith Romney Wegner
 

I found the name Minka in some papers. I believe it to be a sister to my
great-grandfather. I am assuming its a Yiddish name. Would anyone know
what its equivalent would be in Hebrew??
David Fielker
Minnie, Minna and Mindel were usually given to "match" the Hebrew name
Miriam. So I would expect the same to be true of Minka. As has been
discussed many times before, it is not usually a matter of "equivalence"
but simply of sound-matching.

Judith Romney Wegner


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen Re: the name Minka?? #general

Judith Romney Wegner
 

I found the name Minka in some papers. I believe it to be a sister to my
great-grandfather. I am assuming its a Yiddish name. Would anyone know
what its equivalent would be in Hebrew??
David Fielker
Minnie, Minna and Mindel were usually given to "match" the Hebrew name
Miriam. So I would expect the same to be true of Minka. As has been
discussed many times before, it is not usually a matter of "equivalence"
but simply of sound-matching.

Judith Romney Wegner


Re: Radishkovich #ukraine

Botwinick@...
 

Subject: Radishkovich

>>Does anyone in the Ukranian SIG have any information on an area by
this name?<<

There is a town by this name on the Lithuanian/Beloruss border.

There is a mailing list devoted to this town at

http://www.onelist.com/subscribe.cgi/radoshkovichlist

Milt Botwinick
philadelphia, pa
botwinick@aol.com


Ukraine SIG #Ukraine Re: Radishkovich #ukraine

Botwinick@...
 

Subject: Radishkovich

>>Does anyone in the Ukranian SIG have any information on an area by
this name?<<

There is a town by this name on the Lithuanian/Beloruss border.

There is a mailing list devoted to this town at

http://www.onelist.com/subscribe.cgi/radoshkovichlist

Milt Botwinick
philadelphia, pa
botwinick@aol.com


Roommate for 2000 London seminar #general

sabramscpa@...
 

I plan to attend the 2000 genealogy seminar in London in July. I am
looking for a non-smoking male roommate.

Please reply directly to me at sabramscpa@earthlink.net.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve Abrams
Van Nuys, California
sabramscpa@earthlink.net


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen Roommate for 2000 London seminar #general

sabramscpa@...
 

I plan to attend the 2000 genealogy seminar in London in July. I am
looking for a non-smoking male roommate.

Please reply directly to me at sabramscpa@earthlink.net.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve Abrams
Van Nuys, California
sabramscpa@earthlink.net