Date   

Re: 1770 Bay Ridge Pkwy, Brooklyn #general

n.kraus-friedberg@...
 

More to say on 1770 Bay Ridge Parkway: In Brooklyn, some numbered
streets are replaced by streets with names. In this case, Bay Ridge
Parkway in Brooklyn is the equivalent of 75th Street. The streets in
that area go 73rd, 74th, Bay Ridge Parkway, 76th, etc. The address in
question is on Bay Ridge Parkway between 17th Avenue and 18th Avenue.
It is *not* on W. 75th Street, which is in Manhattan.

Good luck!
Nurit Kraus-Friedberg
n.kraus-friedberg@att.net
searching: REICHER/Strzyzow to US, Mosciska; FRIEDBERG/Grodno to US


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen Re: 1770 Bay Ridge Pkwy, Brooklyn #general

n.kraus-friedberg@...
 

More to say on 1770 Bay Ridge Parkway: In Brooklyn, some numbered
streets are replaced by streets with names. In this case, Bay Ridge
Parkway in Brooklyn is the equivalent of 75th Street. The streets in
that area go 73rd, 74th, Bay Ridge Parkway, 76th, etc. The address in
question is on Bay Ridge Parkway between 17th Avenue and 18th Avenue.
It is *not* on W. 75th Street, which is in Manhattan.

Good luck!
Nurit Kraus-Friedberg
n.kraus-friedberg@att.net
searching: REICHER/Strzyzow to US, Mosciska; FRIEDBERG/Grodno to US


Re: Vladivostok #general

Naomi Fatouros
 

On July 29,2006, Victoria Reed
(researchtoldot@yahoo.com) wrote:

<<I have been contacted by a someone in Germany who is
researching a surname that I am also researching.
However, this gentleman's grandfather came from
Vladivostok and I could find very little about it on
the JewishGen site. I did look on our Discussion Group
archives and forwarded him some letters written by
others looking for information >from Vladivostok.>>

A google search using first the term "Vladivostok,"
and second set of terms "Vladivostok Jews" turned up
quite a few interesting websites,although none offered
specific information about the possibility of
obtaining documentation about any particular Jew or
even about the existence of any archives concerning
Siberian Jews. Among the most interesting of the
Vladivostok websites is one containing a long article
by Irena Vladimirsky on Siberian Jews.

During 2004 and 2005 I exchanged several friendly
emails with Eva-Maria Stolberg, of the Russian
Department at the University of Bonn. I had wanted to
know whether during the course of her research on
Siberia she had come across a published study which my
grandfather's cousin, Gregor Zvi Belkkovsky had made a
century or so ago of the legal status of the Jews of
Siberia. Belkovsky had been prompted to embark on that
study when he was visited by three Jews >from Chita.
Unfortunately Dr. Stolberg knew nothing of that study.

Her book in English, which I have not read, was
published as a paperback entitled "The Siberian Saga:
a History of Russia's Wild West." Dr. Stolberg told
me that in it was a chapter on the development of
Siberia by Jews who were merchants, businessment,
lawyers and Zionists. Ms. Reed and her German
correpondent may want to write to Dr. Stolberg. Her
professional email address can be found on the
Internet.

One of these days I will also write to Irena
Vladimirsky to ask whether she knows of Belkovsky's
Siberian study.

Then, of course, there are several books about the
Jewish Autonomous Republic of Birobidzhan which Ms
Reed's German correspondent may want to consult.

When I myself look for information about my family
history and related information I almost always do
google searches first before looking to Jewishgen for
help. Recently I discovered through doing various
searches Google's "advanced search" facility for books
and scholarly articles, quite a lot of citations not
only to some of my relatives, but also answers to
questions I had on various topics of particular
interest to me. For instance, by typing in my
father's name in the advance search engine,I even
found the other day a detailed history and description
of a medical center in New Rochelle which was one of
the many buildings my architect father designed in and
around New York City. Although I had known of that
medical center >from a photocopy I had of an artist's
rendering, I would not have known of the building's
history had I not used Google's "advanced search"
engine!

So, as other Jewishgenners have often suggested,
inquirers should always look first for answers to
questions on the Internet as well as through
Jewishgen.

What one can find in "paper" books and articles,
and through the Internet as well Jewishgen's
discussion group archives and the archives of its SIGs
(Special Interest Groups) has so far never ceased to
astonish me.

Naomi Fatouros (nee FELDMAN)
Bloomington, Indiana
NFatouros@sbcglobal.net
BELKOWSKY,BIELKOWSKY, BILKOWSKI, Odessa,St. Petersburg,Berdichev,
Kiev;ROTHSTEIN, Kremenchug;FRASCH,Kiev;LIBERMAN,Moscow;FELDMAN, Pinsk;
SCHUTZ, RETTIG, WAHL, Shcherets;LEVY, WEIL, Mulhouse; SAS/
SASS,Podwolochisk;
RAPOPORT, Tarnopol, Podwolochisk, Radomysl?; BEHAM, Salok, Kharkov;
WOLPIANSKY, Ostryna.


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen Re: Vladivostok #general

Naomi Fatouros
 

On July 29,2006, Victoria Reed
(researchtoldot@yahoo.com) wrote:

<<I have been contacted by a someone in Germany who is
researching a surname that I am also researching.
However, this gentleman's grandfather came from
Vladivostok and I could find very little about it on
the JewishGen site. I did look on our Discussion Group
archives and forwarded him some letters written by
others looking for information >from Vladivostok.>>

A google search using first the term "Vladivostok,"
and second set of terms "Vladivostok Jews" turned up
quite a few interesting websites,although none offered
specific information about the possibility of
obtaining documentation about any particular Jew or
even about the existence of any archives concerning
Siberian Jews. Among the most interesting of the
Vladivostok websites is one containing a long article
by Irena Vladimirsky on Siberian Jews.

During 2004 and 2005 I exchanged several friendly
emails with Eva-Maria Stolberg, of the Russian
Department at the University of Bonn. I had wanted to
know whether during the course of her research on
Siberia she had come across a published study which my
grandfather's cousin, Gregor Zvi Belkkovsky had made a
century or so ago of the legal status of the Jews of
Siberia. Belkovsky had been prompted to embark on that
study when he was visited by three Jews >from Chita.
Unfortunately Dr. Stolberg knew nothing of that study.

Her book in English, which I have not read, was
published as a paperback entitled "The Siberian Saga:
a History of Russia's Wild West." Dr. Stolberg told
me that in it was a chapter on the development of
Siberia by Jews who were merchants, businessment,
lawyers and Zionists. Ms. Reed and her German
correpondent may want to write to Dr. Stolberg. Her
professional email address can be found on the
Internet.

One of these days I will also write to Irena
Vladimirsky to ask whether she knows of Belkovsky's
Siberian study.

Then, of course, there are several books about the
Jewish Autonomous Republic of Birobidzhan which Ms
Reed's German correspondent may want to consult.

When I myself look for information about my family
history and related information I almost always do
google searches first before looking to Jewishgen for
help. Recently I discovered through doing various
searches Google's "advanced search" facility for books
and scholarly articles, quite a lot of citations not
only to some of my relatives, but also answers to
questions I had on various topics of particular
interest to me. For instance, by typing in my
father's name in the advance search engine,I even
found the other day a detailed history and description
of a medical center in New Rochelle which was one of
the many buildings my architect father designed in and
around New York City. Although I had known of that
medical center >from a photocopy I had of an artist's
rendering, I would not have known of the building's
history had I not used Google's "advanced search"
engine!

So, as other Jewishgenners have often suggested,
inquirers should always look first for answers to
questions on the Internet as well as through
Jewishgen.

What one can find in "paper" books and articles,
and through the Internet as well Jewishgen's
discussion group archives and the archives of its SIGs
(Special Interest Groups) has so far never ceased to
astonish me.

Naomi Fatouros (nee FELDMAN)
Bloomington, Indiana
NFatouros@sbcglobal.net
BELKOWSKY,BIELKOWSKY, BILKOWSKI, Odessa,St. Petersburg,Berdichev,
Kiev;ROTHSTEIN, Kremenchug;FRASCH,Kiev;LIBERMAN,Moscow;FELDMAN, Pinsk;
SCHUTZ, RETTIG, WAHL, Shcherets;LEVY, WEIL, Mulhouse; SAS/
SASS,Podwolochisk;
RAPOPORT, Tarnopol, Podwolochisk, Radomysl?; BEHAM, Salok, Kharkov;
WOLPIANSKY, Ostryna.


Yad Vashem's Shoah Related Lists Database #danzig #gdansk #germany #poland

Logan J. Kleinwaks
 

Yad Vashem's new Shoah Related Lists Database
(http://www.yadvashem.org/lwp/workplace/listoflist?WT.mc_id=lolen)
has information about four lists that mention Danzig, including
scanned images of two (indicated by * below):

List of survivors >from Bydgoszc, Gdansk, and Wloclawek, 1945, 1939 names

List of Jews in Gdansk, 1950, 205 names

* List of Jewish survivors >from Gdansk, who after WWII lived in the Dolny
Slask region, Poland, 27/12/1946, 7 names (database indicates there are 4
names, but 7 are visible in the scan)

* List of Jewish survivors >from Gdynia, who after WWII lived in the Dolny
Slask region, Poland, 04/10/1946, 23 names (databases indicates 24) -- there
seems to have been a problem with the scanning, which I wrote to Yad Vashem
about, so that the part of the list showing the surnames is missing

Are any SIG members familiar with the two lists not scanned?

Best regards,

Logan Kleinwaks
Coordinator, JewishGen Danzig/Gdansk SIG
kleinwaks@alumni.princeton.edu
near Washington, D.C.


Danzig/Gedansk SIG #Danzig #Gdansk #Germany #Poland Yad Vashem's Shoah Related Lists Database #danzig #gdansk #germany #poland

Logan J. Kleinwaks
 

Yad Vashem's new Shoah Related Lists Database
(http://www.yadvashem.org/lwp/workplace/listoflist?WT.mc_id=lolen)
has information about four lists that mention Danzig, including
scanned images of two (indicated by * below):

List of survivors >from Bydgoszc, Gdansk, and Wloclawek, 1945, 1939 names

List of Jews in Gdansk, 1950, 205 names

* List of Jewish survivors >from Gdansk, who after WWII lived in the Dolny
Slask region, Poland, 27/12/1946, 7 names (database indicates there are 4
names, but 7 are visible in the scan)

* List of Jewish survivors >from Gdynia, who after WWII lived in the Dolny
Slask region, Poland, 04/10/1946, 23 names (databases indicates 24) -- there
seems to have been a problem with the scanning, which I wrote to Yad Vashem
about, so that the part of the list showing the surnames is missing

Are any SIG members familiar with the two lists not scanned?

Best regards,

Logan Kleinwaks
Coordinator, JewishGen Danzig/Gdansk SIG
kleinwaks@alumni.princeton.edu
near Washington, D.C.


Johannesburg Cemetery Photograph #southafrica

Jane Moulding
 

Dear South African Genners

I wonder whether there is a kind person in Jo'burg who would be willing to
photograph my grandmother's headstone in West Park I Cemetery. Her name is
Julia Rubinstein and she is buried in Plot B 1012. She died on 9th February
1955, aged 87. I have had no luck in tracing where my grandfather, Max
Rubinstein, is buried. He died on 6th September either 1935 or 1936 at 49
First Avenue, Lower Houghton but I can find no record of his burial. I
assume though that he was probably buried in the same cemetery.

Any help that you can give would be much appreciated.

Jane Moulding
Bucks, UK


South Africa SIG #SouthAfrica Johannesburg Cemetery Photograph #southafrica

Jane Moulding
 

Dear South African Genners

I wonder whether there is a kind person in Jo'burg who would be willing to
photograph my grandmother's headstone in West Park I Cemetery. Her name is
Julia Rubinstein and she is buried in Plot B 1012. She died on 9th February
1955, aged 87. I have had no luck in tracing where my grandfather, Max
Rubinstein, is buried. He died on 6th September either 1935 or 1936 at 49
First Avenue, Lower Houghton but I can find no record of his burial. I
assume though that he was probably buried in the same cemetery.

Any help that you can give would be much appreciated.

Jane Moulding
Bucks, UK


Re: R. Baruch haLevi EPSTEIN (the Torah Tmimah) #rabbinic

Nachum Tuchman
 

On 2006.07.30, Itzhak Epstein <iegen@earthlink.net> wrote:

Does anybody know whether R. Baruch haLevi EPSTEIN had any siblings
or children, and where one can find genealogical information about
them? I did, of course, look at Mekor Baruch.
Hi,

I have nothing on Rav Baruch's children, although I remember reading
that he has descendants in the US. He had, I believe, at least two
sons. At least one of them went to the States.

Rav Baruch himself went to the States, I believe that I have found
him in the EIDB in 1923. He was unable to find work, and went back
to Europe. He was later murdered in the Shoa in 1942, at age 84.

Although one of the greatest rabbis of his generation, it seems that
he never made a living >from his Torah knowledge. In Europe he was a
banker. I have read that many people trusted him with their money
due to his piousness.

He had a brother named R' Dov Ber. All that I know about him is
that he made aliyah to Jerusalem.

He also had a sister named Batia Miril. She was the second wife of
the Netziv, R' Naphtali Tzvi Yehuda BERLIN, who was also her uncle.
The Netziv's sister was the wife of R' Yehiel Michel Halevy EPSTEIN,
father of Rav Baruch and his siblings. (In the Torah Temima, when
Rav Baruch quotes the Netziv, he calls him his uncle. I don't
recall if he ever mentions his name, and he certainly doesn't refer
to the Netziv as his brother-in-law.) The Netziv, >from his first
wife, was the son-in-law of R' Yitzchak of Volozhin, and replaced
him as head of the Yeshiva there. The Netziv and Batia Miril had a
son named R. Chaim BERLIN who died in Israel in 1913. He changed
his last name to Bar Ilan, and the University in Israel is named for
him.

I wish I knew more.

Nachum Tuchman
Tekoa, Israel


Rabbinic Genealogy SIG #Rabbinic Re: R. Baruch haLevi EPSTEIN (the Torah Tmimah) #rabbinic

Nachum Tuchman
 

On 2006.07.30, Itzhak Epstein <iegen@earthlink.net> wrote:

Does anybody know whether R. Baruch haLevi EPSTEIN had any siblings
or children, and where one can find genealogical information about
them? I did, of course, look at Mekor Baruch.
Hi,

I have nothing on Rav Baruch's children, although I remember reading
that he has descendants in the US. He had, I believe, at least two
sons. At least one of them went to the States.

Rav Baruch himself went to the States, I believe that I have found
him in the EIDB in 1923. He was unable to find work, and went back
to Europe. He was later murdered in the Shoa in 1942, at age 84.

Although one of the greatest rabbis of his generation, it seems that
he never made a living >from his Torah knowledge. In Europe he was a
banker. I have read that many people trusted him with their money
due to his piousness.

He had a brother named R' Dov Ber. All that I know about him is
that he made aliyah to Jerusalem.

He also had a sister named Batia Miril. She was the second wife of
the Netziv, R' Naphtali Tzvi Yehuda BERLIN, who was also her uncle.
The Netziv's sister was the wife of R' Yehiel Michel Halevy EPSTEIN,
father of Rav Baruch and his siblings. (In the Torah Temima, when
Rav Baruch quotes the Netziv, he calls him his uncle. I don't
recall if he ever mentions his name, and he certainly doesn't refer
to the Netziv as his brother-in-law.) The Netziv, >from his first
wife, was the son-in-law of R' Yitzchak of Volozhin, and replaced
him as head of the Yeshiva there. The Netziv and Batia Miril had a
son named R. Chaim BERLIN who died in Israel in 1913. He changed
his last name to Bar Ilan, and the University in Israel is named for
him.

I wish I knew more.

Nachum Tuchman
Tekoa, Israel


Re: R. Baruch haLevi EPSTEIN (the Torah Tmimah) #rabbinic

Jeffrey R. Woolf <woolfj@...>
 

On 2006.07.30, Itzhak Epstein <iegen@earthlink.net> wrote:

Does anybody know whether R. Baruch haLevi EPSTEIN had any siblings
or children, and where one can find genealogical information about
them? I did, of course, look at Mekor Baruch.
I don't believe that he had full-siblings, but he did have
descendants. You could contact Professor Meir Bar Ilan. His
web page is: http://faculty.biu.ac.il/~barilm/


Jeffrey Woolf


Rabbinic Genealogy SIG #Rabbinic Re: R. Baruch haLevi EPSTEIN (the Torah Tmimah) #rabbinic

Jeffrey R. Woolf <woolfj@...>
 

On 2006.07.30, Itzhak Epstein <iegen@earthlink.net> wrote:

Does anybody know whether R. Baruch haLevi EPSTEIN had any siblings
or children, and where one can find genealogical information about
them? I did, of course, look at Mekor Baruch.
I don't believe that he had full-siblings, but he did have
descendants. You could contact Professor Meir Bar Ilan. His
web page is: http://faculty.biu.ac.il/~barilm/


Jeffrey Woolf


Rabbi of Zazkov - Late 19th Cent. #rabbinic

bettyross1@...
 

Dear Genners:

My GGF, Shakhman HOROWITZ and his wife Mary MERCOM HOROWITZ, had
five children -- Harris (my grandfather), David, Chaya, Sura and
Golda. Harris was the only one who immigrated to the U.S. Chaya
and her husband Yosel had a daughter, Bath-Zion, who married the
Rabbi of Zazkov, probably in the late 1800s. Does anyone know the
name of the Zazkov rabbi during that period? And how can I find out
about him -- especially his birth, marriage and death dates and
information about his parents and siblings.

I am also trying to learn more about my great-uncle David HOROWITZ.
According to family lore, he was a journalist -- either the editor
of or a political columnist for a newspaper called the Odessa
Folksblatt. I have been told that the czar closed the paper in 1905
because it was too radical.

Thanks in advance for whatever clues you can provide.

Betty Ross
Bethesda, Maryland


Rabbinic Genealogy SIG #Rabbinic Rabbi of Zazkov - Late 19th Cent. #rabbinic

bettyross1@...
 

Dear Genners:

My GGF, Shakhman HOROWITZ and his wife Mary MERCOM HOROWITZ, had
five children -- Harris (my grandfather), David, Chaya, Sura and
Golda. Harris was the only one who immigrated to the U.S. Chaya
and her husband Yosel had a daughter, Bath-Zion, who married the
Rabbi of Zazkov, probably in the late 1800s. Does anyone know the
name of the Zazkov rabbi during that period? And how can I find out
about him -- especially his birth, marriage and death dates and
information about his parents and siblings.

I am also trying to learn more about my great-uncle David HOROWITZ.
According to family lore, he was a journalist -- either the editor
of or a political columnist for a newspaper called the Odessa
Folksblatt. I have been told that the czar closed the paper in 1905
because it was too radical.

Thanks in advance for whatever clues you can provide.

Betty Ross
Bethesda, Maryland


Stark reality of translating Hugo Gold's Bohemia & Moravia volumes #austria-czech

Celia Male <celiamale@...>
 

Ruth Coman and I have been working steadily on the indexing of the
Hugo Gold Bohemia book and we should soon complete this task. Vera
Finberg will also be joining us.

My feeling is that this Excel file will be a very useful resource in
its own right and I will also cross-index every place/Gemeinde with
the 1793 census, wherever possible. You will be able to scan through
it quickly to see what each chapter has to offer - if anything!

After looking at the new work on the Prague Jewish Museum website:
Encyclopaedia of Jewish Communities in Bohemia and Moravia, I
seriously question how far we should go after indexing the Gold books
[inc Moravia]. The new data >from Prague is excellent but only in
Czech! It is more structured and targeted and adapted to the needs of
most of us in the 21st century than the Gold volumes and could be
very valuable to genealogists. Paul King has checked the new Pribram
chapter and finds it more valuable than the Hugo Gold "Pribram".

You have to buy the chapters. The Gold chapters are variable/patchy -
and frequently give no genealogical data of value. Some give in-depth
history, others a brief mention. Some stress the religious leaders of
the community - only a few are very detailed. Some/many are terribly
tedious and badly structured.

Even if you understand no Czech [I speak not a word, but I can get
the gist of the contents] or German - it is possible to screen the
chapter to see if there are names in there which may be of
genealogical interest.

Please look at the new data >from Prague - sample chapters on:
Brandys nad Labem, Damborice, Dobruska, Horazdovice and Pribram. Some
have interesting census data [see Damborice] and there are plenty of
names: http://www.jewishmuseum.cz/en/adokuzo.htm

We are are a genealogy group and there are some very specific
projects in Bohemia and Moravia, which looked at on a "cost/benefit
basis", will be of more value to many of us in our lifetime [eg;
continuation of the Familianten records inc. vital data >from the
Moravian archives - where we have hardly anything].

I fear the Gold project would be for our [gt] grandchildren and
indeed they may not be interested! As German is far more accessible
to most of us than Czech - it is the Czech chapter of greatest
importance which should be targeted in Bohemia and Moravia. The
"bullet point" model used by Prague for their current work could be
used - ie a precis - but then that would be anathema to the Yizkor
Project.

There are probably 1,500 pages to translate in all. If we estimate a
week/page - there are many tables and proof-reading will be a
nightmare and require experts [plenty of footnotes too] - we arrive
at a rough estimate of 30 years! This may be an overestimate but I
doubt it. The cost would be prohibitive.

Surely all aspects of this project must be discussed very carefully
before we commit ourselves to a leviathan?

Celia Male [U.K.]


Austria-Czech SIG #Austria-Czech Stark reality of translating Hugo Gold's Bohemia & Moravia volumes #austria-czech

Celia Male <celiamale@...>
 

Ruth Coman and I have been working steadily on the indexing of the
Hugo Gold Bohemia book and we should soon complete this task. Vera
Finberg will also be joining us.

My feeling is that this Excel file will be a very useful resource in
its own right and I will also cross-index every place/Gemeinde with
the 1793 census, wherever possible. You will be able to scan through
it quickly to see what each chapter has to offer - if anything!

After looking at the new work on the Prague Jewish Museum website:
Encyclopaedia of Jewish Communities in Bohemia and Moravia, I
seriously question how far we should go after indexing the Gold books
[inc Moravia]. The new data >from Prague is excellent but only in
Czech! It is more structured and targeted and adapted to the needs of
most of us in the 21st century than the Gold volumes and could be
very valuable to genealogists. Paul King has checked the new Pribram
chapter and finds it more valuable than the Hugo Gold "Pribram".

You have to buy the chapters. The Gold chapters are variable/patchy -
and frequently give no genealogical data of value. Some give in-depth
history, others a brief mention. Some stress the religious leaders of
the community - only a few are very detailed. Some/many are terribly
tedious and badly structured.

Even if you understand no Czech [I speak not a word, but I can get
the gist of the contents] or German - it is possible to screen the
chapter to see if there are names in there which may be of
genealogical interest.

Please look at the new data >from Prague - sample chapters on:
Brandys nad Labem, Damborice, Dobruska, Horazdovice and Pribram. Some
have interesting census data [see Damborice] and there are plenty of
names: http://www.jewishmuseum.cz/en/adokuzo.htm

We are are a genealogy group and there are some very specific
projects in Bohemia and Moravia, which looked at on a "cost/benefit
basis", will be of more value to many of us in our lifetime [eg;
continuation of the Familianten records inc. vital data >from the
Moravian archives - where we have hardly anything].

I fear the Gold project would be for our [gt] grandchildren and
indeed they may not be interested! As German is far more accessible
to most of us than Czech - it is the Czech chapter of greatest
importance which should be targeted in Bohemia and Moravia. The
"bullet point" model used by Prague for their current work could be
used - ie a precis - but then that would be anathema to the Yizkor
Project.

There are probably 1,500 pages to translate in all. If we estimate a
week/page - there are many tables and proof-reading will be a
nightmare and require experts [plenty of footnotes too] - we arrive
at a rough estimate of 30 years! This may be an overestimate but I
doubt it. The cost would be prohibitive.

Surely all aspects of this project must be discussed very carefully
before we commit ourselves to a leviathan?

Celia Male [U.K.]


Re: Vienna - Royal courts #austria-czech

andrea steckerl <geneagirl64@...>
 

Hi Celia,
My grandfather was Arthur Steckerl.......my great grandfather was Ignaz
Steckerl...I was told by my father that either of these worked for the
Kaiser in some fashion.....he was not specific...he has passed so
unfortunately I cannot ask.

Sincerely,
Andrea Steckerl


From: Celia Male <celiamale@yahoo.com>
1. Scott Horwitz wrote:I have been looking for any sort of lists of
Jews that may have been working for the Austrian court between 1912 -
1914. THe rumor in our family is that my ggf was a geologist or
engineer for the Austrian Court and was told by and possibly helped
by a superior to get out of Austria just before WWI.>
snip>>>>>>>>


Austria-Czech SIG #Austria-Czech Re: Vienna - Royal courts #austria-czech

andrea steckerl <geneagirl64@...>
 

Hi Celia,
My grandfather was Arthur Steckerl.......my great grandfather was Ignaz
Steckerl...I was told by my father that either of these worked for the
Kaiser in some fashion.....he was not specific...he has passed so
unfortunately I cannot ask.

Sincerely,
Andrea Steckerl


From: Celia Male <celiamale@yahoo.com>
1. Scott Horwitz wrote:I have been looking for any sort of lists of
Jews that may have been working for the Austrian court between 1912 -
1914. THe rumor in our family is that my ggf was a geologist or
engineer for the Austrian Court and was told by and possibly helped
by a superior to get out of Austria just before WWI.>
snip>>>>>>>>


Re: Vienna - Royal courts #austria-czech

Celia Male <celiamale@...>
 

Four messages have appeared on this topic:

1. Scott Horwitz wrote:I have been looking for any sort of lists of
Jews that may have been working for the Austrian court between 1912 -
1914. THe rumor in our family is that my ggf was a geologist or
engineer for the Austrian Court and was told by and possibly helped
by a superior to get out of Austria just before WWI.>

A name would help to verify matters - and would the Court [Royal or
legal] employ geologists? I have not heard of a big panic for Jews to
get out of Vienna ***before*** WW1 - perhaps someone will let us
know. Would help have been needed to leave? I doubt it.

Could either of these be the ancestor:
HORWITZ Emil dob 2 Dec. 1869 or Gustav dob 18 Aug. 1881

2. Dora Donis-Kester wrote: <I am also looking to verify my
ancestor's work within the Austrian-Hungarian Empire. I am
particularly interested in checking around the 1764's-on. It seems
that a cousin of my grandmother was a singer in the Court.>

Again no name - there are good records and musicology researchers in
Vienna - so he/she may be known already! There were not many Jews in
Vienna in that era - but perhaps the singing took place elsewhere?

3. Andrea Steckerl wrote: <I was told as well that my grandfather was
one who worked for the court..how does one find out if that is true?>
Again no names, dates or location - they would be helpful .

4. Chana Saadia wrote: My late stepbrother was born in Vienna &
visited there about 15 yrs ago looking for family history. His mother
had told him that her father was a goldsmith to the court, & he found
a record-book which mentioned his grandfather's name. He sent me a
copy of a photo he took of the page, but it's in handwritten German &
very unclear - I don't know where it was located or what book it was
[it has a column for the name & a column for what was received]. I
can scan it & send to anyone who is interested.

I am sure goldsmiths and jewelers were commissioned to make
jewellery for the Royal entourage. That seems very feasible.

Please let us have more facts [names and dates] when you write in
with a query! I have heard about this fairy tale before which was
apparently told to Jewish children in Vienna and probably elsewhere -
namely that members of this family worked for the Royal Court.

A convenient and quick answer to children who ask: "where have we
come >from [geographically] and why did we come to Vienna?
Every child would be satisfied - after all, the Kaiser was supreme.

Celia Male [U.K.]


Austria-Czech SIG #Austria-Czech Re: Vienna - Royal courts #austria-czech

Celia Male <celiamale@...>
 

Four messages have appeared on this topic:

1. Scott Horwitz wrote:I have been looking for any sort of lists of
Jews that may have been working for the Austrian court between 1912 -
1914. THe rumor in our family is that my ggf was a geologist or
engineer for the Austrian Court and was told by and possibly helped
by a superior to get out of Austria just before WWI.>

A name would help to verify matters - and would the Court [Royal or
legal] employ geologists? I have not heard of a big panic for Jews to
get out of Vienna ***before*** WW1 - perhaps someone will let us
know. Would help have been needed to leave? I doubt it.

Could either of these be the ancestor:
HORWITZ Emil dob 2 Dec. 1869 or Gustav dob 18 Aug. 1881

2. Dora Donis-Kester wrote: <I am also looking to verify my
ancestor's work within the Austrian-Hungarian Empire. I am
particularly interested in checking around the 1764's-on. It seems
that a cousin of my grandmother was a singer in the Court.>

Again no name - there are good records and musicology researchers in
Vienna - so he/she may be known already! There were not many Jews in
Vienna in that era - but perhaps the singing took place elsewhere?

3. Andrea Steckerl wrote: <I was told as well that my grandfather was
one who worked for the court..how does one find out if that is true?>
Again no names, dates or location - they would be helpful .

4. Chana Saadia wrote: My late stepbrother was born in Vienna &
visited there about 15 yrs ago looking for family history. His mother
had told him that her father was a goldsmith to the court, & he found
a record-book which mentioned his grandfather's name. He sent me a
copy of a photo he took of the page, but it's in handwritten German &
very unclear - I don't know where it was located or what book it was
[it has a column for the name & a column for what was received]. I
can scan it & send to anyone who is interested.

I am sure goldsmiths and jewelers were commissioned to make
jewellery for the Royal entourage. That seems very feasible.

Please let us have more facts [names and dates] when you write in
with a query! I have heard about this fairy tale before which was
apparently told to Jewish children in Vienna and probably elsewhere -
namely that members of this family worked for the Royal Court.

A convenient and quick answer to children who ask: "where have we
come >from [geographically] and why did we come to Vienna?
Every child would be satisfied - after all, the Kaiser was supreme.

Celia Male [U.K.]