Date   

Newcomer to all this #belarus

GROSSesq@...
 

I am just beginning to investigate my family tree, and have put together
enough information to know that both sides come >from Belarus. The towns are
Smorgon and Soly. They are basically east of Vilna on the Belarus side of the
border. Smorgon was the more substantial place and appears on current maps.
Soly is in the shtetl finder at JewishGen, but I cant get a map location.

Can anyone give me a bit of a heads up on how to get started? I am at a
loss to trace names, since the family names are reported to have been created
during the immigration process: GROSS, CRAMER, WITTENBERG are a few.

How does one get a look at a Yizkor book? One exists for Smorgon.

Thanks for your help.

Michael Gross
Chevy Chase, Md

MODERATOR'S NOTE: Michael, you should go to the home page of Jewishgen
and click on FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) by Warren Blatt. This is
one of the best single documents for someone new to Jewish genealgy to read
before you do anything else. Most of the questions you asked above are
answered in the FAQ. I would also highly recommend that you join your
local Jewish Genealogy Society: the Jewish Genealogy Society of Greater
Washington. Their webpage will provide more information
<http://www.jewishgen.org/jgsgw/>. You should also check the JGFF database
for you surnames and shtetls.


Belarus SIG #Belarus Newcomer to all this #belarus

GROSSesq@...
 

I am just beginning to investigate my family tree, and have put together
enough information to know that both sides come >from Belarus. The towns are
Smorgon and Soly. They are basically east of Vilna on the Belarus side of the
border. Smorgon was the more substantial place and appears on current maps.
Soly is in the shtetl finder at JewishGen, but I cant get a map location.

Can anyone give me a bit of a heads up on how to get started? I am at a
loss to trace names, since the family names are reported to have been created
during the immigration process: GROSS, CRAMER, WITTENBERG are a few.

How does one get a look at a Yizkor book? One exists for Smorgon.

Thanks for your help.

Michael Gross
Chevy Chase, Md

MODERATOR'S NOTE: Michael, you should go to the home page of Jewishgen
and click on FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) by Warren Blatt. This is
one of the best single documents for someone new to Jewish genealgy to read
before you do anything else. Most of the questions you asked above are
answered in the FAQ. I would also highly recommend that you join your
local Jewish Genealogy Society: the Jewish Genealogy Society of Greater
Washington. Their webpage will provide more information
<http://www.jewishgen.org/jgsgw/>. You should also check the JGFF database
for you surnames and shtetls.


Vienna families #general

Stella Baldev <sbaldev@...>
 

Seeking info. about Leopold SONNTAG, Fanny (Sonntag) VOLKEN, his sister and
Fanny's husband, Adolph VOLKEN. Fanny's last known address (1939) was in
Vienna. I have come across many listings for the name VOLKEN in
California, but do not know if there is any connection. Does anyone
recognize these names ?


Master List #general

_DEFAULT <_DEFAULT@...>
 

My ancestors come >from Balta, Ukraine, and I've found where to write locals
there.
Here's my question: what list could I ask for that would have the sum total
of my great grandfather's family?
In other words, if Avraham GRANOVSKY and his wife had two sons and three
daughters, where would this be recorded?

Jefferson Graham

jeffersongraham@prodigy.net


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen Vienna families #general

Stella Baldev <sbaldev@...>
 

Seeking info. about Leopold SONNTAG, Fanny (Sonntag) VOLKEN, his sister and
Fanny's husband, Adolph VOLKEN. Fanny's last known address (1939) was in
Vienna. I have come across many listings for the name VOLKEN in
California, but do not know if there is any connection. Does anyone
recognize these names ?


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen Master List #general

_DEFAULT <_DEFAULT@...>
 

My ancestors come >from Balta, Ukraine, and I've found where to write locals
there.
Here's my question: what list could I ask for that would have the sum total
of my great grandfather's family?
In other words, if Avraham GRANOVSKY and his wife had two sons and three
daughters, where would this be recorded?

Jefferson Graham

jeffersongraham@prodigy.net


Orchestras in Minsk #belarus

Sharon Ferguson <sferguson@...>
 

I was just speaking with my mother regarding my research and she made
mention that before my ggf immigrated to US in late 1890's he was a
violinist in a orchestra in Minsk. Would this be a possible area of
research, would they keep records of members? Any help is greatly
appreciated.
Sincerely,
Sharon Ferguson


Belarus SIG #Belarus Orchestras in Minsk #belarus

Sharon Ferguson <sferguson@...>
 

I was just speaking with my mother regarding my research and she made
mention that before my ggf immigrated to US in late 1890's he was a
violinist in a orchestra in Minsk. Would this be a possible area of
research, would they keep records of members? Any help is greatly
appreciated.
Sincerely,
Sharon Ferguson


Re: Minsk Revision List 1811 - Part 1 #belarus

Randy Rynkewicz <t30rrr1@...>
 

Vitaly Charny wrote:
<< compiled and transliterate >from Russian the list of
Jewish surnames >from Minsk, Belarus I found in
Revision List (Revizhskaya Skazka) 1811. >>
<<<

I am new here - where might I find the list referred to above?

Randy Rynkewicz

MODERATOR'S NOTE: The Revision List 1811 is located in the Minsk archives
and was filmed by the Mormons (LDS). The microfilms can be ordered at any
LDS Family History Center. The film numbers are: 2,008,322-324. Be
advised that these lists are written in Russian.


Belarus SIG #Belarus Re: Minsk Revision List 1811 - Part 1 #belarus

Randy Rynkewicz <t30rrr1@...>
 

Vitaly Charny wrote:
<< compiled and transliterate >from Russian the list of
Jewish surnames >from Minsk, Belarus I found in
Revision List (Revizhskaya Skazka) 1811. >>
<<<

I am new here - where might I find the list referred to above?

Randy Rynkewicz

MODERATOR'S NOTE: The Revision List 1811 is located in the Minsk archives
and was filmed by the Mormons (LDS). The microfilms can be ordered at any
LDS Family History Center. The film numbers are: 2,008,322-324. Be
advised that these lists are written in Russian.


Re: Interesting Research Results! #belarus

David Goldman <davic@...>
 

(David Goldman) wrote:
An interesting detail is that he was *absent* >from the census of 1854...
It just occured to me that *absent* must be different than death,
which is stated explicitly, so the absence can be attributed to
something like being away on business at the time of the census. But
each of several years? That would be the same for Shmuel as well as
his grandfather Mordechai I guess.

David Goldman


Belarus SIG #Belarus Re: Interesting Research Results! #belarus

David Goldman <davic@...>
 

(David Goldman) wrote:
An interesting detail is that he was *absent* >from the census of 1854...
It just occured to me that *absent* must be different than death,
which is stated explicitly, so the absence can be attributed to
something like being away on business at the time of the census. But
each of several years? That would be the same for Shmuel as well as
his grandfather Mordechai I guess.

David Goldman


Interesting Research Results! #belarus

David Goldman <davic@...>
 

On 28 Sep 1998 17:49:29 -0700, in soc.genealogy.jewish
davic@pop.erols.com (David Goldman) wrote:

I have just received some bits of genealogy treasures >from some research
done through RAGAS on the family of my great-grandfather Israel Hirsh
Ziselman. Some of you might remember that he was the key to me becoming
genealogy buff. Five years ago on a quick visit to my family up in Calgary
Canada we took a quick Friday afternoon trip to a local museum which had,
by pure "coincidence" my great-grandfather's religious artifacts on
display. Perhaps of all my research, the material on Israel Hirsh
(1870-1962) is the most detailed so far. In addition, it shows the
priceless value of census data which I guess began in the beginning of the
19th century in the Russian empire. See what you think of my speculations
based on this material....

The census data >from the 19th century in his home district of Borisov
which I guess included Stare-Borisov) yielded the following. Luckily I
already knew his father's name, Yeruchem Ziselman. Well not only did the
census list a Yeruchem aged 10 in 1851, which would have made him 30 years
older than his son Israel Hirsh, but Yerucham's father SHMUEL is also
listed in the census of 1851 and 1834. Shmuel
was born in 1819, thus 51 when his grandson was born in 1870.
An interesting detail is that he was *absent* >from the census of 1854. He
had one wife RIVKA ABRAMOVA in 1851, and a wife ESTER YUDOVA in the census
of 1858 where he was not listed. I don't know how they bothered to record
her husband's name if he wasn't around.....His daughter RASYA was evidently
raised by ESTER, since RASYA is listed listed as his 2 year old daughter in
1851 with RIVKA and 9 in 1858 with ESTER. Note that the censuses refer to
children as the children of the FATHER rather than both parents.

SHMUEL'S son Yeruchem (1841-1928?) was obviously named after Shmuel's
father, who died at a very young age in 1824, when Shmuel was only 6 years
old. YERUCHEM was only 26! Interesting: This Yeruchem's father, MORDECHAI
was listed as "absent" after the census of 1824, at the age of 60, born in
1764.

MORDECHAI ZISELMAN had at least 3 sons: Yeruchem, Faibish, (who ALSO died
at the tender age of 28 in 1820!) and Aron. Mordechai's wife was KUNA, born
in 1774. MORDECHAI was the son of BORUCH.

Question about census: The censuses list additional "relatives". Does this
suggest that these people lived together in the same house? There were two
relative in both the census of 1814 and 1834. Why are their deaths recorded
for the census of 1837 and 1844??!

Regards,
David Goldman, the great-great-great-great-great-grandson of BORUCH
ZISELMAN (1734-1814?)!!


Belarus SIG #Belarus Interesting Research Results! #belarus

David Goldman <davic@...>
 

On 28 Sep 1998 17:49:29 -0700, in soc.genealogy.jewish
davic@pop.erols.com (David Goldman) wrote:

I have just received some bits of genealogy treasures >from some research
done through RAGAS on the family of my great-grandfather Israel Hirsh
Ziselman. Some of you might remember that he was the key to me becoming
genealogy buff. Five years ago on a quick visit to my family up in Calgary
Canada we took a quick Friday afternoon trip to a local museum which had,
by pure "coincidence" my great-grandfather's religious artifacts on
display. Perhaps of all my research, the material on Israel Hirsh
(1870-1962) is the most detailed so far. In addition, it shows the
priceless value of census data which I guess began in the beginning of the
19th century in the Russian empire. See what you think of my speculations
based on this material....

The census data >from the 19th century in his home district of Borisov
which I guess included Stare-Borisov) yielded the following. Luckily I
already knew his father's name, Yeruchem Ziselman. Well not only did the
census list a Yeruchem aged 10 in 1851, which would have made him 30 years
older than his son Israel Hirsh, but Yerucham's father SHMUEL is also
listed in the census of 1851 and 1834. Shmuel
was born in 1819, thus 51 when his grandson was born in 1870.
An interesting detail is that he was *absent* >from the census of 1854. He
had one wife RIVKA ABRAMOVA in 1851, and a wife ESTER YUDOVA in the census
of 1858 where he was not listed. I don't know how they bothered to record
her husband's name if he wasn't around.....His daughter RASYA was evidently
raised by ESTER, since RASYA is listed listed as his 2 year old daughter in
1851 with RIVKA and 9 in 1858 with ESTER. Note that the censuses refer to
children as the children of the FATHER rather than both parents.

SHMUEL'S son Yeruchem (1841-1928?) was obviously named after Shmuel's
father, who died at a very young age in 1824, when Shmuel was only 6 years
old. YERUCHEM was only 26! Interesting: This Yeruchem's father, MORDECHAI
was listed as "absent" after the census of 1824, at the age of 60, born in
1764.

MORDECHAI ZISELMAN had at least 3 sons: Yeruchem, Faibish, (who ALSO died
at the tender age of 28 in 1820!) and Aron. Mordechai's wife was KUNA, born
in 1774. MORDECHAI was the son of BORUCH.

Question about census: The censuses list additional "relatives". Does this
suggest that these people lived together in the same house? There were two
relative in both the census of 1814 and 1834. Why are their deaths recorded
for the census of 1837 and 1844??!

Regards,
David Goldman, the great-great-great-great-great-grandson of BORUCH
ZISELMAN (1734-1814?)!!


Re: The Politics of Censuses in Russia #belarus

Sharon Ferguson <sferguson@...>
 

question: How would I go about finding census records in Minsk? I am new
to this forum and fairly new in my search. While I do have the name of my
ggf and ggm both >from Minsk I am unsure of original surnames and do not
have the names of their parents. Please pardon if my questions seem simple
in light of how experienced most of those who post here are.
Sincerely,

Sharon Ferguson

David Goldman wrote:

I just glanced again at the research and was surprised that the individual
living with both MORDECHAI and his son SHMUEL ZISELMAN, Aron Abramovitch
Rashkind was listed as 40 years old in 1834 in one document, and 56 years
old in another, both called census record (revision list). Hirsha Slevitch
in one list is described as 18 in 1816, and 25 in 1834!!


Belarus SIG #Belarus Re: The Politics of Censuses in Russia #belarus

Sharon Ferguson <sferguson@...>
 

question: How would I go about finding census records in Minsk? I am new
to this forum and fairly new in my search. While I do have the name of my
ggf and ggm both >from Minsk I am unsure of original surnames and do not
have the names of their parents. Please pardon if my questions seem simple
in light of how experienced most of those who post here are.
Sincerely,

Sharon Ferguson

David Goldman wrote:

I just glanced again at the research and was surprised that the individual
living with both MORDECHAI and his son SHMUEL ZISELMAN, Aron Abramovitch
Rashkind was listed as 40 years old in 1834 in one document, and 56 years
old in another, both called census record (revision list). Hirsha Slevitch
in one list is described as 18 in 1816, and 25 in 1834!!


Re: Puzzled about my GGM #hungary

PGergay@...
 

Dear Ed,
As you probably surmised, the date of issuance on the Registry Extract is,
normally, insignificant and irrelevant. The only exception is when it provides
the audit trail for name changes, such as one occuring due to remarriage.
The explanation for a different name for the mother of one of the sisters
(Cecilia) probably lies in a very common error of those times. Usually, the
births were reported by a mid-wife, whose name frequently (and, of course,
mistakenly) was entered as the mother's name. You can very easily determine
now if this was the case---if you need any guidance on how to go about it ,
please contact me privately, through my E-mail (preferrably not until mid-
November).
By the way, I assume that you know that the names Katalin and Katharina
are interchangeable (usually, primarily depending on the nationality of the
Registrar, rather than the names actually given....)
Regards,
Peter A. Gergay
San Francisco, CA


Hungary SIG #Hungary Re: Puzzled about my GGM #hungary

PGergay@...
 

Dear Ed,
As you probably surmised, the date of issuance on the Registry Extract is,
normally, insignificant and irrelevant. The only exception is when it provides
the audit trail for name changes, such as one occuring due to remarriage.
The explanation for a different name for the mother of one of the sisters
(Cecilia) probably lies in a very common error of those times. Usually, the
births were reported by a mid-wife, whose name frequently (and, of course,
mistakenly) was entered as the mother's name. You can very easily determine
now if this was the case---if you need any guidance on how to go about it ,
please contact me privately, through my E-mail (preferrably not until mid-
November).
By the way, I assume that you know that the names Katalin and Katharina
are interchangeable (usually, primarily depending on the nationality of the
Registrar, rather than the names actually given....)
Regards,
Peter A. Gergay
San Francisco, CA


The Politics of Censuses in Russia #belarus

David Goldman <davic@...>
 

I just glanced again at the research and was surprised that the individual
living with both MORDECHAI and his son SHMUEL ZISELMAN, Aron Abramovitch
Rashkind was listed as 40 years old in 1834 in one document, and 56 years
old in another, both called census record (revision list). Hirsha Slevitch
in one list is described as 18 in 1816, and 25 in 1834!!

Either these were errors of the census taker, or somebody was pulling someone's leg. Can anybody shed some light on this?

David Goldman
davic@erols.com


Belarus SIG #Belarus The Politics of Censuses in Russia #belarus

David Goldman <davic@...>
 

I just glanced again at the research and was surprised that the individual
living with both MORDECHAI and his son SHMUEL ZISELMAN, Aron Abramovitch
Rashkind was listed as 40 years old in 1834 in one document, and 56 years
old in another, both called census record (revision list). Hirsha Slevitch
in one list is described as 18 in 1816, and 25 in 1834!!

Either these were errors of the census taker, or somebody was pulling someone's leg. Can anybody shed some light on this?

David Goldman
davic@erols.com