Date   

TURANSKI/ZOPPA - Storozhinets, Bukovina #romania

don.mcarthur@...
 

Seeking information on my family that immigrated to Canada in 1911 >from
Storozhinets, Bukovina. Leon Turanski, my grandfather, b. 1880 in Bukovina;
his wife Caroline (nee (Engiovski) Jendrzeiovsky) Turanski, b. 1890 in
Bukovina; along with their son John and daughter Lena.

Also Gheorghe (George) Zoppa, b. 1890 in Bukovina also immigrated 1911 with
the Turanski family.

Info. on Leon Turanski is as follows:

Army Book showed these dates for Leon Turanski:

1902 either joined or called up to 3rd field company

Infantry Reg 41 (22 years old)

Reserve 1905-1912

Czernowitz 18/1905

Czernowitz 26/8/1909

Red Seal Stamp 15/5/1911

Any/all information would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Don McArthur
Port Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
MODERATOR NOTE: Don't forget to enter your family names/towns in the JewishGen
Family Finder. This town is mostly Galicia and Ukraine; however it belonged to
Romania after WWI.





------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3webLD gives you the lowest long distance rates out there...Canada calling
as low as 2 cents/min...U.S. as low as 4 cents/min...visit www.get3web.com for
details


Romania SIG #Romania TURANSKI/ZOPPA - Storozhinets, Bukovina #romania

don.mcarthur@...
 

Seeking information on my family that immigrated to Canada in 1911 >from
Storozhinets, Bukovina. Leon Turanski, my grandfather, b. 1880 in Bukovina;
his wife Caroline (nee (Engiovski) Jendrzeiovsky) Turanski, b. 1890 in
Bukovina; along with their son John and daughter Lena.

Also Gheorghe (George) Zoppa, b. 1890 in Bukovina also immigrated 1911 with
the Turanski family.

Info. on Leon Turanski is as follows:

Army Book showed these dates for Leon Turanski:

1902 either joined or called up to 3rd field company

Infantry Reg 41 (22 years old)

Reserve 1905-1912

Czernowitz 18/1905

Czernowitz 26/8/1909

Red Seal Stamp 15/5/1911

Any/all information would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Don McArthur
Port Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
MODERATOR NOTE: Don't forget to enter your family names/towns in the JewishGen
Family Finder. This town is mostly Galicia and Ukraine; however it belonged to
Romania after WWI.





------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3webLD gives you the lowest long distance rates out there...Canada calling
as low as 2 cents/min...U.S. as low as 4 cents/min...visit www.get3web.com for
details


Re: Lodgings in Riga #latvia

lisa.newman.a@...
 

I stayed in Riga in June 2004, and since I wanted to stay in the Old City
[much more picturesque, interesting] and since all the hotels were full at
the time [none of the hotels are very large in Riga's Old City], I was able
to rent a very adequate furnished apartment for myself and 2 others. Kitchen
was equipped with appliances, washer and dryer even had detergent. It was
immaculately clean. Can't remember how I found it - through the Riga tourist
board I think, on the internet. They sent me several options, with digital
photos of the buildings. As I remember, it cost less than hotel would have.

Good luck!

Lisa Newman
Toronto, Canada
researching SAMUEL, SEBBA, ZELDOVICH, PINES

-------------------------------------------------------
Subject: Lodgings in Riga
From: joan goldstein <robertg@netvision.net.il>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 15:11:25 +0300

I am planning a trip to Riga for the last week of June.
I would appreciate suggestions for clean quiet lodgings.
--------------------------------------------------------


Latvia SIG #Latvia Re: Lodgings in Riga #latvia

lisa.newman.a@...
 

I stayed in Riga in June 2004, and since I wanted to stay in the Old City
[much more picturesque, interesting] and since all the hotels were full at
the time [none of the hotels are very large in Riga's Old City], I was able
to rent a very adequate furnished apartment for myself and 2 others. Kitchen
was equipped with appliances, washer and dryer even had detergent. It was
immaculately clean. Can't remember how I found it - through the Riga tourist
board I think, on the internet. They sent me several options, with digital
photos of the buildings. As I remember, it cost less than hotel would have.

Good luck!

Lisa Newman
Toronto, Canada
researching SAMUEL, SEBBA, ZELDOVICH, PINES

-------------------------------------------------------
Subject: Lodgings in Riga
From: joan goldstein <robertg@netvision.net.il>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 15:11:25 +0300

I am planning a trip to Riga for the last week of June.
I would appreciate suggestions for clean quiet lodgings.
--------------------------------------------------------


Re: problem with my Ellis Island files #general

Hilary Henkin <hilary@...>
 

I thought Evan was referring to the data stored at ellisisland.org. They offer
an option to save images to your own personal "Ellis Island file" on their
website.

When I checked my own file, the single actual manifest image I'd saved was not
available: "Image not available". Two other entries I'd saved as the passenger
data were still accessible.

So maybe there's a time limit or they changed their website.

Hilary Henkin
Atlanta, Georgia


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen Re: problem with my Ellis Island files #general

Hilary Henkin <hilary@...>
 

I thought Evan was referring to the data stored at ellisisland.org. They offer
an option to save images to your own personal "Ellis Island file" on their
website.

When I checked my own file, the single actual manifest image I'd saved was not
available: "Image not available". Two other entries I'd saved as the passenger
data were still accessible.

So maybe there's a time limit or they changed their website.

Hilary Henkin
Atlanta, Georgia


Re: images of yizkor books online #general

Diane Jacobs <thegenie@...>
 

You should also be aware that the NYPL at 5th Avenue & 42nd Street has a Jewish
Division in Room 84 with many, many yizkor books, Jewish books and newspapers,
etc, etc.

Diane Jacobs
Somerset, NJ

Leah Aharoni wrote

I have found digital images of several dozen Yizkor books on the NY
Public Library website. Most books are either in Hebrew or in Yiddish.
http://yizkor.nypl.org/


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen RE: images of yizkor books online #general

Diane Jacobs <thegenie@...>
 

You should also be aware that the NYPL at 5th Avenue & 42nd Street has a Jewish
Division in Room 84 with many, many yizkor books, Jewish books and newspapers,
etc, etc.

Diane Jacobs
Somerset, NJ

Leah Aharoni wrote

I have found digital images of several dozen Yizkor books on the NY
Public Library website. Most books are either in Hebrew or in Yiddish.
http://yizkor.nypl.org/


Re: Further query regarding QUACHIK spelling, does the letter Q #general

Judith Romney Wegner
 

Michelle C wrote:

In my original posting I asked if anyone knew if the surnames
CHAVATSIK & QUACHIK were typical Jewish/Russian names. With regards
CHAVATSIK the consensus of opinion seems to be that it most probably
began, originally, with the letter K instead of CH. This indeed
seems very feasible. I noted however that nobody commented on
QUACHIK. In all the records I have found relating to my great
grandmother this surname crops up the most, but through my own
research and taking note of the fact that nobody had any info on
this version of the name, am I right in thinking this means that
there arn't any Jewish/Russian surnames beginning with this
particular letter? To help me clarify the situation in my own mind,
could any genners confirm for me whether the letter Q is part of the
Russian language?
Dear Michelle,

The letter Q is not a Russian consonant as such In fact the "qu" combination
with the "kw" sound appears only in Romance languages, not Slavic or any other
language group. In the case of your relatives' surnames they probably began with
the sound "KV" and should never have been transliterated by "QU." For purposes
of Jewishgen, it is worth nothing that if "qu" does appear in a non-Romance
language that employs the Latin alphabet (such as German or Polish) that is
usually because the word was "borrowed" >from another language (usually >from
French or Latin) . The combination "qu" is not native to any other language
group so far as I know.

The other principal case in which a q (without "u") is used in non-Romance
languages is in transliterations >from semitic languages. Scholars of semitic
languages use the "q" to represent the letter Qof in Hebrew, Arabic etc.
In order to distinguish it >from the letter kaf -- which likewise occurs in
Semitic languages and is transliterated by a "k." In fact, as some readers
may have noticed the symbol "q" is simply the Hebrew letter Qof written
backwards. (The art of writing developed originally in the East about 3,000 BCE
and moved gradually westward -- so the shapes of letters became modified in
various ways in various alphabets.

It is important to know that whenever "q" is used in transliterations >from
Hebrew and Arabic, etc., it should never (repeat *never*) be automatically
followed by a letter "u. " This is a common error. If a Hebrew or Arabic word
in transliteration does have "q" followed by "u", that is because the "q"
represents the consonant "qof" while the "u" represents the vowel s pronounced
"oo" -- "the most obvious example being the word Qur'an.

Judith Romney Wegner
jrw@brown.edu


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen Re: Further query regarding QUACHIK spelling, does the letter Q #general

Judith Romney Wegner
 

Michelle C wrote:

In my original posting I asked if anyone knew if the surnames
CHAVATSIK & QUACHIK were typical Jewish/Russian names. With regards
CHAVATSIK the consensus of opinion seems to be that it most probably
began, originally, with the letter K instead of CH. This indeed
seems very feasible. I noted however that nobody commented on
QUACHIK. In all the records I have found relating to my great
grandmother this surname crops up the most, but through my own
research and taking note of the fact that nobody had any info on
this version of the name, am I right in thinking this means that
there arn't any Jewish/Russian surnames beginning with this
particular letter? To help me clarify the situation in my own mind,
could any genners confirm for me whether the letter Q is part of the
Russian language?
Dear Michelle,

The letter Q is not a Russian consonant as such In fact the "qu" combination
with the "kw" sound appears only in Romance languages, not Slavic or any other
language group. In the case of your relatives' surnames they probably began with
the sound "KV" and should never have been transliterated by "QU." For purposes
of Jewishgen, it is worth nothing that if "qu" does appear in a non-Romance
language that employs the Latin alphabet (such as German or Polish) that is
usually because the word was "borrowed" >from another language (usually >from
French or Latin) . The combination "qu" is not native to any other language
group so far as I know.

The other principal case in which a q (without "u") is used in non-Romance
languages is in transliterations >from semitic languages. Scholars of semitic
languages use the "q" to represent the letter Qof in Hebrew, Arabic etc.
In order to distinguish it >from the letter kaf -- which likewise occurs in
Semitic languages and is transliterated by a "k." In fact, as some readers
may have noticed the symbol "q" is simply the Hebrew letter Qof written
backwards. (The art of writing developed originally in the East about 3,000 BCE
and moved gradually westward -- so the shapes of letters became modified in
various ways in various alphabets.

It is important to know that whenever "q" is used in transliterations >from
Hebrew and Arabic, etc., it should never (repeat *never*) be automatically
followed by a letter "u. " This is a common error. If a Hebrew or Arabic word
in transliteration does have "q" followed by "u", that is because the "q"
represents the consonant "qof" while the "u" represents the vowel s pronounced
"oo" -- "the most obvious example being the word Qur'an.

Judith Romney Wegner
jrw@brown.edu


Rochester City Directories online #general

Martha LEV-ZION <martha@...>
 

The City Directories of Rochester, New York are online at this URL:
http://www.libraryweb.org/rochcitydir/citydirectories.html

They have digitalised directories >from the 1820's to the 1890's and are working
on getting through to the 1930 directory, where their efforts will stop.

Martha Levinson Lev-Zion
Israel Genealogical Society - Negev


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen Rochester City Directories online #general

Martha LEV-ZION <martha@...>
 

The City Directories of Rochester, New York are online at this URL:
http://www.libraryweb.org/rochcitydir/citydirectories.html

They have digitalised directories >from the 1820's to the 1890's and are working
on getting through to the 1930 directory, where their efforts will stop.

Martha Levinson Lev-Zion
Israel Genealogical Society - Negev


ITS Files in Arolsen, Germany #general

Sherry Kisos <smwwk770@...>
 

Dear All,

I would like to make a comment regarding the ITS files in Arolsen, Germany.
They are not Nazi files per se and it is wrong to call them that. There are
captured Nazi files within the ITS files (concentation camps records, etc.),
but the origial purpose of the ITS or International Tracing Service was just
that - to try and help people find friends and relatives in the aftermath of
the Shoah.

I might add that it was the Allied Forces that began the tracing service before
the end of the war.

Sincerely yours,
Sherry Kisos
Petach Tikvah, Israel


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen ITS Files in Arolsen, Germany #general

Sherry Kisos <smwwk770@...>
 

Dear All,

I would like to make a comment regarding the ITS files in Arolsen, Germany.
They are not Nazi files per se and it is wrong to call them that. There are
captured Nazi files within the ITS files (concentation camps records, etc.),
but the origial purpose of the ITS or International Tracing Service was just
that - to try and help people find friends and relatives in the aftermath of
the Shoah.

I might add that it was the Allied Forces that began the tracing service before
the end of the war.

Sincerely yours,
Sherry Kisos
Petach Tikvah, Israel


Re: KEWACZ = KWASNY or KWASNEY? #general

tom klein <jewishgen@...>
 

KWASNY is pure Polish (at least one online source indicates that it originates
form the Polish word for "sour"), whereas KEWACZ is a Polish spelling of the
Hungarian name KOVACS (pronounced koh-vahtch), which means "smith" (and is
exactly as common a surname). Since they originate >from different words and
from different languages, I don't think we can consider them as connected in
any way, except by a similar sound.

It is quite possible that a KOVACS (which might have once been KOHN) may have
changed it first to the Polish spelling KEWACZ and ultimately to the Polish
KWASNY, perhaps in order to be less conspicuous. But this is all hypothetical,
until you can find documentary evidence that supports it.

Unless there is a more likely Polish given name, I would guess that "Anhaly" is
probably a misspelling (or misreading) of "Mihaly", a common Hungarian male
given name. The best way to tell for sure is to look at the microfilm.

........ Tom Klein, Toronto

adamsny@f2s.com wrote:

[snip!]
Nevertheless, I located the following information via a popular subscription web
site and just wonder if these records could well be my great-grandparents and
would appreciate opinions >from subscribers, once they have reviewed grandpa's
birth record..

Name: Helena Kewacz
Arrival Date: 1 May 1890
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1862
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Port of Departure: Bremen, Germany
Destination: United States of America
Place of Origin: Hungary
Ship Name: Hermann
Port of Arrival: New York
Line: 51
Microfilm Serial: M237
Microfilm Roll: 547
List Number: 571
Port Arrival State: New York
Port Arrival Country: United States

Name: Anhaly Kewacz
Arrival Date: 15 Aug 1891
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1856
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Port of Departure: Bremen, Germany and Southampton, England
Destination: United States of America
Place of Origin: Hungary
Ship Name: Elbe
Port of Arrival: New York
Line: 18
Microfilm Serial: M237
Microfilm Roll: 573
List Number: 1238
Port Arrival State: New York Port Arrival Country: United States [snip!]


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen Re: KEWACZ = KWASNY or KWASNEY? #general

tom klein <jewishgen@...>
 

KWASNY is pure Polish (at least one online source indicates that it originates
form the Polish word for "sour"), whereas KEWACZ is a Polish spelling of the
Hungarian name KOVACS (pronounced koh-vahtch), which means "smith" (and is
exactly as common a surname). Since they originate >from different words and
from different languages, I don't think we can consider them as connected in
any way, except by a similar sound.

It is quite possible that a KOVACS (which might have once been KOHN) may have
changed it first to the Polish spelling KEWACZ and ultimately to the Polish
KWASNY, perhaps in order to be less conspicuous. But this is all hypothetical,
until you can find documentary evidence that supports it.

Unless there is a more likely Polish given name, I would guess that "Anhaly" is
probably a misspelling (or misreading) of "Mihaly", a common Hungarian male
given name. The best way to tell for sure is to look at the microfilm.

........ Tom Klein, Toronto

adamsny@f2s.com wrote:

[snip!]
Nevertheless, I located the following information via a popular subscription web
site and just wonder if these records could well be my great-grandparents and
would appreciate opinions >from subscribers, once they have reviewed grandpa's
birth record..

Name: Helena Kewacz
Arrival Date: 1 May 1890
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1862
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Port of Departure: Bremen, Germany
Destination: United States of America
Place of Origin: Hungary
Ship Name: Hermann
Port of Arrival: New York
Line: 51
Microfilm Serial: M237
Microfilm Roll: 547
List Number: 571
Port Arrival State: New York
Port Arrival Country: United States

Name: Anhaly Kewacz
Arrival Date: 15 Aug 1891
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1856
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Port of Departure: Bremen, Germany and Southampton, England
Destination: United States of America
Place of Origin: Hungary
Ship Name: Elbe
Port of Arrival: New York
Line: 18
Microfilm Serial: M237
Microfilm Roll: 573
List Number: 1238
Port Arrival State: New York Port Arrival Country: United States [snip!]


Re: problem with my Ellis Island files #general

tom klein <jewishgen@...>
 

It's hard to tell >from your message, but I suspect that "capacity to view" was
never the issue, but rather the way the images were "saved":

If you just bookmark the search results page, the temporary file containing the
results gets released (deleted) by the server (which normally happens soon after
you stop viewing it, as other people's requests get processed).

To be able to refer back to a graphic, you need to either save it as a file (not
as a bookmark or a shortcut) on your hard disk, or print it out on paper. Paper
is somewhat old-fashioned, but it has the advantage of not being susceptible to
future computer failure or upgrade, and can be read "without apparatus". It
also provides an immediate confirmation that it was actually saved.


....... Tom Klein

"Evan Fishman" <ebf2001@comcast.net> wrote:

After a long hiatus I reviewed the personal records I had saved at the Ellis
Island website. When I tried to retrieve the various manifests associated
with particular family members, I got the message: "no image available."
However, when I redid my searches, I was able to actually view those same
manifests.

Has anyone else experienced this or did I do something to lose my capacity
to view supposedly saved manifests?


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen Re: problem with my Ellis Island files #general

tom klein <jewishgen@...>
 

It's hard to tell >from your message, but I suspect that "capacity to view" was
never the issue, but rather the way the images were "saved":

If you just bookmark the search results page, the temporary file containing the
results gets released (deleted) by the server (which normally happens soon after
you stop viewing it, as other people's requests get processed).

To be able to refer back to a graphic, you need to either save it as a file (not
as a bookmark or a shortcut) on your hard disk, or print it out on paper. Paper
is somewhat old-fashioned, but it has the advantage of not being susceptible to
future computer failure or upgrade, and can be read "without apparatus". It
also provides an immediate confirmation that it was actually saved.


....... Tom Klein

"Evan Fishman" <ebf2001@comcast.net> wrote:

After a long hiatus I reviewed the personal records I had saved at the Ellis
Island website. When I tried to retrieve the various manifests associated
with particular family members, I got the message: "no image available."
However, when I redid my searches, I was able to actually view those same
manifests.

Has anyone else experienced this or did I do something to lose my capacity
to view supposedly saved manifests?


Re: Seeking informatiom on Romanian family members listed below #general

Rosanne Leeson <rdleeson@...>
 

This question should also be posted to the Romanian Special Interest
Group (ROM-SIG)of JewishGen!
In addition there is an All-Romanian database on JewishGen , which you
should also check. Several of the names you mention are fairly common,
and you need to give us more information about the localities >from which
they might have come, if you hope for any success in your research

Rosanne Leeson
Co-Coordinator
ROM-SIG
Rennie and Jack Salz wrote:

I am seeking information about the families of the persons mentioned below:

Zalman VEXLER married to Reiza TUCHERMAN 1885
Simon VEXLER married toReiza Marcu 1871
Marcu MARCUVIC imarried to Sura Creinta GROSSMAN 1868
Leiba sin Oizer DESCALU married to a Golda MARCOVICI in 1870
Nathaniel MARCOVICI


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen Re: Seeking informatiom on Romanian family members listed below #general

Rosanne Leeson <rdleeson@...>
 

This question should also be posted to the Romanian Special Interest
Group (ROM-SIG)of JewishGen!
In addition there is an All-Romanian database on JewishGen , which you
should also check. Several of the names you mention are fairly common,
and you need to give us more information about the localities >from which
they might have come, if you hope for any success in your research

Rosanne Leeson
Co-Coordinator
ROM-SIG
Rennie and Jack Salz wrote:

I am seeking information about the families of the persons mentioned below:

Zalman VEXLER married to Reiza TUCHERMAN 1885
Simon VEXLER married toReiza Marcu 1871
Marcu MARCUVIC imarried to Sura Creinta GROSSMAN 1868
Leiba sin Oizer DESCALU married to a Golda MARCOVICI in 1870
Nathaniel MARCOVICI