Date   

Re: Working Backwards from Certificate of Naturalization #general

Peter Zavon <pzavon@...>
 

The copies of the Petitions that were filed with the federal government are
*not* at NARA, they are still under the control of Citizenship and Immigration
Service (formerly Immigration and Naturalization Service). To access them
you need to make a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request. You cannot
get personal, direct access.

What you find in various NARA Branch Archives (*not* in Washington) are mostly
records of Federal Courts that performed Naturalizations (i.e. the Petitions
and such that were filed in the courts' records, copies of which were sent
to Washington at the time they were created.) Since some naturalizations
were done by non-federal courts whose records were not deposited with NARA,
NARA Branches do not have records on All naturalizations. But what they do
have is usually indexed by surname and so reasonably easy to check, even
though they are organized first by court, and so not fully integrated.
Thosw indexes may also be available (they are on microfilm) through the
Mormons.

Peter Zavon

Penfield, NY

PZAVON@...


"Stan Goodman" <SPAM_FOILER@...> wrote


This is more like what I had understood. And the copies of the
Petitions are at NARA, so I could see them in Washington, once I can
define the date and court.

Stan Goodman, Qiryat Tiv'on, Israel


Re: Working Backwards from Certificate of Naturalization #general

Adelle Gloger
 

Dear Genners,

Howie Axelrod < highwind1@... > wrote:

I have in hane a copy of my Grandfather's "Certificate of
Naturalization".
I am attempting to find his Mother's maiden name, but it is not on
this document. I believe that the actual filing certificate and
associated paperwork would have this. Is this correct?
There is a certificate number, a Petition number, and volume number on
the document. It was issued Albany, Albany County, NY, in 1920.
What is easiet route to get the filing paperwork asssociated with
this?
** Albany County, NY has a naturalization index online. This is for
Albany County only. There is also a printable form to request information. The
website is:

http://www.albanycounty.com/departments/achor/naturalizationindexes.asp?id=856


Adelle Weintraub Gloger
Cleveland, Ohio
agloger@...


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen Re: Working Backwards from Certificate of Naturalization #general

Peter Zavon <pzavon@...>
 

The copies of the Petitions that were filed with the federal government are
*not* at NARA, they are still under the control of Citizenship and Immigration
Service (formerly Immigration and Naturalization Service). To access them
you need to make a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request. You cannot
get personal, direct access.

What you find in various NARA Branch Archives (*not* in Washington) are mostly
records of Federal Courts that performed Naturalizations (i.e. the Petitions
and such that were filed in the courts' records, copies of which were sent
to Washington at the time they were created.) Since some naturalizations
were done by non-federal courts whose records were not deposited with NARA,
NARA Branches do not have records on All naturalizations. But what they do
have is usually indexed by surname and so reasonably easy to check, even
though they are organized first by court, and so not fully integrated.
Thosw indexes may also be available (they are on microfilm) through the
Mormons.

Peter Zavon

Penfield, NY

PZAVON@...


"Stan Goodman" <SPAM_FOILER@...> wrote


This is more like what I had understood. And the copies of the
Petitions are at NARA, so I could see them in Washington, once I can
define the date and court.

Stan Goodman, Qiryat Tiv'on, Israel


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen Re: Working Backwards from Certificate of Naturalization #general

Adelle Gloger
 

Dear Genners,

Howie Axelrod < highwind1@... > wrote:

I have in hane a copy of my Grandfather's "Certificate of
Naturalization".
I am attempting to find his Mother's maiden name, but it is not on
this document. I believe that the actual filing certificate and
associated paperwork would have this. Is this correct?
There is a certificate number, a Petition number, and volume number on
the document. It was issued Albany, Albany County, NY, in 1920.
What is easiet route to get the filing paperwork asssociated with
this?
** Albany County, NY has a naturalization index online. This is for
Albany County only. There is also a printable form to request information. The
website is:

http://www.albanycounty.com/departments/achor/naturalizationindexes.asp?id=856


Adelle Weintraub Gloger
Cleveland, Ohio
agloger@...


Re: Working Backwards from Certificate of Naturalization #general

Gladys Paulin <paulin@...>
 

<"Doug Cohen" dmc@... wrote:
:Subject: Re: Working Backwards >from Certificate of Naturalization
<Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 01:02:35 GMT
<After 1906, all naturalizations were in the federal district court.
<You need to find the archives of the district court in Albany (nearest NARA
<branch -- either Pittsfield or Varick St. in Manhattan, I would assume)
<and ask them for the naturalization petition. In the petition file, there will
<also be a certificate showing the ship on which he arrived. Many NARA
<branches have the ship manifests, whcih will show, among other things,
<nearest relative left behind in the old country. Both of these documents
<will be interesting to you!!"

Under the "New Law" copies of all naturalizations had to be sent to
Washington, DC and can be accessed >from the BCIS under the Freedom of
Information ACT (FOIA).

However, NOT all were handled by a federal district court. Such courts are
only available in certain select cities around the country. Many immigrants
were naturalized in state, county and circuit courts as well.

The naturalization file should include the Certificate of Arrival for any
immigrant who arrived after September 1906, although this requirement was
not strictly adhered to until several years later and may not appear in a
state or county court file. When requesting the file, one should always ask
for the complete naturalization file, not just the petition which was
the final paper. Some clerks may decide that is all you want and "forget"
to include the Declaration of Intent (first papers), certificate of
arrival, later record of a name change, etc.

RE Passenger lists: the question about the nearest relative in the old
country was not added until 1907 so do not expect to see it on earlier
lists, and if the shipping company was using up its old form supply,
maybe not until a year or two later.

Gladys
Gladys Friedman Paulin, CG
Winter Springs, FL

Editor "OnBoard the Newsletter of the Board for Certification of Genealogists"
CG, Certified Genealogist, is a Service Mark of the Board for Certification
of Genealogists and is used under license by Board-certified persons who
meet program standards and periodic rigorous evaluations.


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen Re: Working Backwards from Certificate of Naturalization #general

Gladys Paulin <paulin@...>
 

<"Doug Cohen" dmc@... wrote:
:Subject: Re: Working Backwards >from Certificate of Naturalization
<Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 01:02:35 GMT
<After 1906, all naturalizations were in the federal district court.
<You need to find the archives of the district court in Albany (nearest NARA
<branch -- either Pittsfield or Varick St. in Manhattan, I would assume)
<and ask them for the naturalization petition. In the petition file, there will
<also be a certificate showing the ship on which he arrived. Many NARA
<branches have the ship manifests, whcih will show, among other things,
<nearest relative left behind in the old country. Both of these documents
<will be interesting to you!!"

Under the "New Law" copies of all naturalizations had to be sent to
Washington, DC and can be accessed >from the BCIS under the Freedom of
Information ACT (FOIA).

However, NOT all were handled by a federal district court. Such courts are
only available in certain select cities around the country. Many immigrants
were naturalized in state, county and circuit courts as well.

The naturalization file should include the Certificate of Arrival for any
immigrant who arrived after September 1906, although this requirement was
not strictly adhered to until several years later and may not appear in a
state or county court file. When requesting the file, one should always ask
for the complete naturalization file, not just the petition which was
the final paper. Some clerks may decide that is all you want and "forget"
to include the Declaration of Intent (first papers), certificate of
arrival, later record of a name change, etc.

RE Passenger lists: the question about the nearest relative in the old
country was not added until 1907 so do not expect to see it on earlier
lists, and if the shipping company was using up its old form supply,
maybe not until a year or two later.

Gladys
Gladys Friedman Paulin, CG
Winter Springs, FL

Editor "OnBoard the Newsletter of the Board for Certification of Genealogists"
CG, Certified Genealogist, is a Service Mark of the Board for Certification
of Genealogists and is used under license by Board-certified persons who
meet program standards and periodic rigorous evaluations.


searching: SOLOMON, PIZER, CREMER #general

Karen Gorrie <kazg_001@...>
 

I am hoping that somoene on this list may be able to point me in the right
direction.
I am trying to trace my family who came to Australia via South Africa
originally >from the UK. So far I have had no luck finding them on any ships lists.
All that I know of their details follows.

Family Name: SOLOMON
Isaac Joseph :Born : Manchester 1850
Parents: Joseph SOLOMON and Rebecca SOLOMON (Possibly married Manchester
1857 I have found a marriage for _a_ Joseph and Rebecca in Manchester in
1857 but I am not yet sure if this is _my_ Joseph and Rebecca.)
Spouse: Pauline PIZER Born: Birmingham 1864
Parents: Joseph PIZER and Annie CREMER

I have been unable to find a marriage for them, although their death
certificates state that they were married in South Africa in the 1890's.
(One says Capetown and the other states Johannesburg)
Certainly their children were all born in South Africa.

Children:
Nathan Reuben Solomon (according to his Australian Army records he was born
in Pretoria) 1898
Josephine Solomon B:1899
Louis Solomon B: 1901
Louise Solomon (my Grandmother) Born 1903 (said to have been born in Capetown)
Evelyn Solomon B: 1905
Henrietta Solomon B: 1906

If anyone could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.

Many thanks
Karen Gorrie


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen searching: SOLOMON, PIZER, CREMER #general

Karen Gorrie <kazg_001@...>
 

I am hoping that somoene on this list may be able to point me in the right
direction.
I am trying to trace my family who came to Australia via South Africa
originally >from the UK. So far I have had no luck finding them on any ships lists.
All that I know of their details follows.

Family Name: SOLOMON
Isaac Joseph :Born : Manchester 1850
Parents: Joseph SOLOMON and Rebecca SOLOMON (Possibly married Manchester
1857 I have found a marriage for _a_ Joseph and Rebecca in Manchester in
1857 but I am not yet sure if this is _my_ Joseph and Rebecca.)
Spouse: Pauline PIZER Born: Birmingham 1864
Parents: Joseph PIZER and Annie CREMER

I have been unable to find a marriage for them, although their death
certificates state that they were married in South Africa in the 1890's.
(One says Capetown and the other states Johannesburg)
Certainly their children were all born in South Africa.

Children:
Nathan Reuben Solomon (according to his Australian Army records he was born
in Pretoria) 1898
Josephine Solomon B:1899
Louis Solomon B: 1901
Louise Solomon (my Grandmother) Born 1903 (said to have been born in Capetown)
Evelyn Solomon B: 1905
Henrietta Solomon B: 1906

If anyone could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.

Many thanks
Karen Gorrie


A Haven in America #austria-czech

E. Randol Schoenberg
 

In case you have any interest in attending, I am coming to Washington, DC
for a concert at the Washington National Cathedral featuring music by both
of my grandfathers (Arnold SCHOENBERG and Eric ZEISL) on November 13, 2005
at 4:00pm. There is a pre-concert discussion at 2:30pm.

See http://www.cathedralchoralsociety.org/season.htm#Haven

Simultaneously there is an exhibit on my grandfather SCHOENBERG at the
Austrian Embassy. See
http://www.austria.org/culture/Events/October/Schoenberg.htm.

Hope to see you there,

Randy Schoenberg
Los Angeles, CA


Austria-Czech SIG #Austria-Czech A Haven in America #austria-czech

E. Randol Schoenberg
 

In case you have any interest in attending, I am coming to Washington, DC
for a concert at the Washington National Cathedral featuring music by both
of my grandfathers (Arnold SCHOENBERG and Eric ZEISL) on November 13, 2005
at 4:00pm. There is a pre-concert discussion at 2:30pm.

See http://www.cathedralchoralsociety.org/season.htm#Haven

Simultaneously there is an exhibit on my grandfather SCHOENBERG at the
Austrian Embassy. See
http://www.austria.org/culture/Events/October/Schoenberg.htm.

Hope to see you there,

Randy Schoenberg
Los Angeles, CA


Re: Lodz Cemetery #general

Shaw, Ruth <RShaw@...>
 

Hi Nicki - This has been my question, as well. My grandmother is buried
in the Lodz Ghetto Field, but the administrator *did* find her 'address'
and there is an unmarked grave that I would like to get a headstone for.
That was my first request. My aunt who is buried in the 'regular'
cemetery in Lodz has a headstone there but I need a clear photo of all
of the text. My 2 uncles have yet to be found, and they also died
(within a month of each other) in 1942 in the Lodz Ghetto, with no known
markings or 'addresses'. I cannot find any information about them either.

-----Original Message-----
From: Nicki Chodnoff - On The Go Publishing =
[mailto:nicki@...]
Sent: Monday, October 24, 2005 6:01 PM

I've hit a stumbling block. I've been trying to find my grandparents =
(Wolf
and Hudes Rozental) grave sites in the new Lodz Jewish cemetery.

I know Wolf and Hudes are buried there. My aunt told me that directly =
after
the war she visited her father's grave (Wolf). Wolf died in the Lodz =
Ghetto
in 1942. He was prominent in his synagogue in Lodz and after the war the
remaining synogague members secured a grave and put up a headstone.

My grandmother, who also died in the Lodz Ghetto in 1942, is buried in =
the
Ghetto Field, so my aunt couldn't find the exact location.

I've searched the Lodz cemetery database online at
http://www.jewishlodzcemetery.org and couldn't find their names. =
However,
only a small portion of the people buried in the cemetery are listed so =
far.

I've contacted the Jewish Community of Lodz and asked about my =
grandparents
graves and their location. They responded that neither of my =
grandparents
are buried in the cemetery, which I know is not true.

Is there a place where all the people buried in the cemetery are listed,
other than actually visiting the cemetery? Any and all suggestions on =
how to
proceed and find the burial spots will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Nicki Chodnoff
Columbus, Ohio
researching ROZENTAL >from Dabie, Lodz and Bialystock; ORCHAN >from Lodz,
Dabie and Poddebice; and PARZENCZEWSKA(SKI) >from Lodz and Ozorkow.

[MODERATOR NOTE: For information about the new Lodz Cemetery and where
records
may be found, visit the Lodz ShtetLinks web site at
http://www.shtetlinks.jewishgen.org/lodz/newcem.htm .]


Lodz Area Research Group #Lodz #Poland RE: Lodz Cemetery #poland #lodz

Shaw, Ruth <RShaw@...>
 

Hi Nicki - This has been my question, as well. My grandmother is buried
in the Lodz Ghetto Field, but the administrator *did* find her 'address'
and there is an unmarked grave that I would like to get a headstone for.
That was my first request. My aunt who is buried in the 'regular'
cemetery in Lodz has a headstone there but I need a clear photo of all
of the text. My 2 uncles have yet to be found, and they also died
(within a month of each other) in 1942 in the Lodz Ghetto, with no known
markings or 'addresses'. I cannot find any information about them either.

-----Original Message-----
From: Nicki Chodnoff - On The Go Publishing =
[mailto:nicki@...]
Sent: Monday, October 24, 2005 6:01 PM

I've hit a stumbling block. I've been trying to find my grandparents =
(Wolf
and Hudes Rozental) grave sites in the new Lodz Jewish cemetery.

I know Wolf and Hudes are buried there. My aunt told me that directly =
after
the war she visited her father's grave (Wolf). Wolf died in the Lodz =
Ghetto
in 1942. He was prominent in his synagogue in Lodz and after the war the
remaining synogague members secured a grave and put up a headstone.

My grandmother, who also died in the Lodz Ghetto in 1942, is buried in =
the
Ghetto Field, so my aunt couldn't find the exact location.

I've searched the Lodz cemetery database online at
http://www.jewishlodzcemetery.org and couldn't find their names. =
However,
only a small portion of the people buried in the cemetery are listed so =
far.

I've contacted the Jewish Community of Lodz and asked about my =
grandparents
graves and their location. They responded that neither of my =
grandparents
are buried in the cemetery, which I know is not true.

Is there a place where all the people buried in the cemetery are listed,
other than actually visiting the cemetery? Any and all suggestions on =
how to
proceed and find the burial spots will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Nicki Chodnoff
Columbus, Ohio
researching ROZENTAL >from Dabie, Lodz and Bialystock; ORCHAN >from Lodz,
Dabie and Poddebice; and PARZENCZEWSKA(SKI) >from Lodz and Ozorkow.

[MODERATOR NOTE: For information about the new Lodz Cemetery and where
records
may be found, visit the Lodz ShtetLinks web site at
http://www.shtetlinks.jewishgen.org/lodz/newcem.htm .]


Recording Of Deaths In Galicia #galicia

Alan Weiser <alanboy@...>
 

As Coordinator of the Kolomea Research Group I frequently receive
questions about facts of life in Galicia. In many instances I am able
to either answer the questions or direct the inquirers to sources that
would provide an answer. I received an inquiry >from a member of the
Jewish Genealogy Society of New York that stumped me. I asking for
your help towards coming to a satisfactory answer to the question.

His question: What was the elapse time between a person's death and
the recording in the civil register?

While I could not provide a definite elapse time, I went into
discussing some variables which could affect the elapse time. These
are the variables I identified:

1. Elapse time of reporting of the death to authorities.
I assumed that if the person died in a hospital with a primary
care physician or otherwise under the care of a physician outside the
hospital, the physician would report the death to authorities using a
death certificate. I know of no law that existed in Galicia that
required such reporting be made within a given time period. There was
no computers or Fax to expedite such reporting.
If the person died in a remote village/chattel or even in a Town like
Kolomea with no primary care physician, who would then report the
death and how much time would elapse before reporting? Would the fact
that Jews enter into several periods/levels of mourning, the first 7
days, the first 30 days and then for the first year have an affect on
when reporting of the death would be accomplished? Would the funeral
director/mortician be the one to make a formal report of death to the
authorities? In the cases of a Jewish marriage only, where the civil
government did not recognize the marriage, would the surviving spouse
be reluctant to report a spouse's death or delay such reporting?

2. Elapse time between receipt of death notice and actual recording
in government register.
Again the absence of computers and fax certainly increased the
workload on clerks. >from AGAD and other records I have seen, it
appears that the entries were handwritten. During periods of an
epidemic when many children and others died, did this have an affect
on the elapse time between receipt of death notice and recording? How
can we determine to what extent delays occurred due to clerk
workloads.

If any one can shed light on an answer to this question or cares to
comment on the variables that I have suggested, which makes it
improbable that a fixed elapsed time can be defined, please submit
your inputs.

Thanks.
Alan Weiser, Coordinator
Kolomea Research Group & Web Site
alanboy@...
Silver Spring, MD


Gesher Galicia SIG #Galicia Recording Of Deaths In Galicia #galicia

Alan Weiser <alanboy@...>
 

As Coordinator of the Kolomea Research Group I frequently receive
questions about facts of life in Galicia. In many instances I am able
to either answer the questions or direct the inquirers to sources that
would provide an answer. I received an inquiry >from a member of the
Jewish Genealogy Society of New York that stumped me. I asking for
your help towards coming to a satisfactory answer to the question.

His question: What was the elapse time between a person's death and
the recording in the civil register?

While I could not provide a definite elapse time, I went into
discussing some variables which could affect the elapse time. These
are the variables I identified:

1. Elapse time of reporting of the death to authorities.
I assumed that if the person died in a hospital with a primary
care physician or otherwise under the care of a physician outside the
hospital, the physician would report the death to authorities using a
death certificate. I know of no law that existed in Galicia that
required such reporting be made within a given time period. There was
no computers or Fax to expedite such reporting.
If the person died in a remote village/chattel or even in a Town like
Kolomea with no primary care physician, who would then report the
death and how much time would elapse before reporting? Would the fact
that Jews enter into several periods/levels of mourning, the first 7
days, the first 30 days and then for the first year have an affect on
when reporting of the death would be accomplished? Would the funeral
director/mortician be the one to make a formal report of death to the
authorities? In the cases of a Jewish marriage only, where the civil
government did not recognize the marriage, would the surviving spouse
be reluctant to report a spouse's death or delay such reporting?

2. Elapse time between receipt of death notice and actual recording
in government register.
Again the absence of computers and fax certainly increased the
workload on clerks. >from AGAD and other records I have seen, it
appears that the entries were handwritten. During periods of an
epidemic when many children and others died, did this have an affect
on the elapse time between receipt of death notice and recording? How
can we determine to what extent delays occurred due to clerk
workloads.

If any one can shed light on an answer to this question or cares to
comment on the variables that I have suggested, which makes it
improbable that a fixed elapsed time can be defined, please submit
your inputs.

Thanks.
Alan Weiser, Coordinator
Kolomea Research Group & Web Site
alanboy@...
Silver Spring, MD


Galizien German Descendants website #galicia

Ganot <o_ganot@...>
 

Dear Gesher Galicia SIGgers,

While Googling for my ancestors' village Lipowice, I came across the
following website:

http://www.galiziengermandescendants.org/

The Website is named GGD (= Galizien German Descendants).
Among the rest, this website includes: Maps of Galicia, villages maps, Photo
albums, family stories, 1939 Resettlement records and many more.

Kind regards,

Ilan Ganot
Holon, Israel

Researching: SPIEGEL, LUSTIG >from Dolina and Skole area
(Lipowice, Suchodil, Zakla, Weldzirz, Synewodzko Wizne), East Galicia


Gesher Galicia SIG #Galicia Galizien German Descendants website #galicia

Ganot <o_ganot@...>
 

Dear Gesher Galicia SIGgers,

While Googling for my ancestors' village Lipowice, I came across the
following website:

http://www.galiziengermandescendants.org/

The Website is named GGD (= Galizien German Descendants).
Among the rest, this website includes: Maps of Galicia, villages maps, Photo
albums, family stories, 1939 Resettlement records and many more.

Kind regards,

Ilan Ganot
Holon, Israel

Researching: SPIEGEL, LUSTIG >from Dolina and Skole area
(Lipowice, Suchodil, Zakla, Weldzirz, Synewodzko Wizne), East Galicia


Ben Bernanke - serch for the roots #galicia

Alexander Sharon
 

Dear Galitzyaners,

The newly- appointed Chairman of the Federal Reserve, Ben Bernanke writes in
his biographical sketch:

"....All four of my grandparents were foreign-born, coming >from Europe to
the United States either just before or directly after the First World
War--a period, incidentally, that represented a high-water mark of
immigration to the United States.

My grandfather Jonas, who came to the United States >from Austria after a
stint in the army of the Emperor Franz Josef, was probably the most
entrepreneurial member of my family".
------------------------------------------------------

Warren Blatt pointed to me that Ben Bernanke's family has originated from
Boryslaw.

Search for the roots.

1. Jonas Bernanke, clerk, age 30 and his wife Pauline, medical doctor, age
25 have arrived at Ellis Island in 1921.
Their last residence outside the US - Przemysl, Poland.
Relatives left in Poland - Moses Bernanke, Rynek, Przemysl.
Jonas was born in Boryslaw,
Pauline was born in Zamosc.
Destination: David Hyden, uncle, 704 Caldwell Ave, NYC

2. Uncle David Hyden,

A misspelled surname, shall read "Heiden"
David Heiden, age 24, single, tailor, arrived at Ellis Island in 1899
How David Heiden is related to Jonas Bernanke?

Possible connections:
Golda Bernanke >from Boryslaw, Galicia, age 18, seamstress arrived at Ellis
Island also in 1899 to join her brother, Israel Bernanke in NYC. Perhaps she
wed David Heiden.
Families Heiden and Bernanke were also intermarried in Boryslaw.

---------------

The Chairman of the Federal Reserve is one of us.

Best,

Alexander Sharon
Calgary, Ab


Gesher Galicia SIG #Galicia Ben Bernanke - serch for the roots #galicia

Alexander Sharon
 

Dear Galitzyaners,

The newly- appointed Chairman of the Federal Reserve, Ben Bernanke writes in
his biographical sketch:

"....All four of my grandparents were foreign-born, coming >from Europe to
the United States either just before or directly after the First World
War--a period, incidentally, that represented a high-water mark of
immigration to the United States.

My grandfather Jonas, who came to the United States >from Austria after a
stint in the army of the Emperor Franz Josef, was probably the most
entrepreneurial member of my family".
------------------------------------------------------

Warren Blatt pointed to me that Ben Bernanke's family has originated from
Boryslaw.

Search for the roots.

1. Jonas Bernanke, clerk, age 30 and his wife Pauline, medical doctor, age
25 have arrived at Ellis Island in 1921.
Their last residence outside the US - Przemysl, Poland.
Relatives left in Poland - Moses Bernanke, Rynek, Przemysl.
Jonas was born in Boryslaw,
Pauline was born in Zamosc.
Destination: David Hyden, uncle, 704 Caldwell Ave, NYC

2. Uncle David Hyden,

A misspelled surname, shall read "Heiden"
David Heiden, age 24, single, tailor, arrived at Ellis Island in 1899
How David Heiden is related to Jonas Bernanke?

Possible connections:
Golda Bernanke >from Boryslaw, Galicia, age 18, seamstress arrived at Ellis
Island also in 1899 to join her brother, Israel Bernanke in NYC. Perhaps she
wed David Heiden.
Families Heiden and Bernanke were also intermarried in Boryslaw.

---------------

The Chairman of the Federal Reserve is one of us.

Best,

Alexander Sharon
Calgary, Ab


Re: searching jewish people from the village of Podciemno #galicia

Alexander Sharon
 

Anat Shilansky wrote:

The village of Podciemno is situated not far >from lwow (lviv). My g-g
father was born there (the Freundlich family).
Since it is so small and not many jews living it is never mentioned.
If someone knows something about the village and/or people that used to
live there - please let me know.
Dear Anat,

It was small village indeed, just 414 residents (1921 Poland's National
Census data). It is not clear how large was Jewish population of this
shtetls since Pinkas Hakehilot (Yad vaShem's gazetteer) doesn't list the
locality.

Nowadays town is known as Pidtemnoye at 4940 2403, which is an Ukrainian
equivalent of Podciemno - and in both languages it means literally "under
the dark" or "in the darkness".

from the four local business listed in this shttel (refer to 1929 Poland
Business Directory) 50% or two people are Jewish - probably your gfather
FREUNDLICH is identified as the tobaco shop owner and F. HIRSZFELD as the
water mill owner.

http://data.jewishgen.org/jri-pl/1929/loadtop.htm?0752

Through "All Poland" database you can identify names of Jewish folks
associated with Podciemno:

http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/Poland/

There are six records:

1. MISCHEL Chaja Debora, born in 1881 >from town Krasow/Podciemno daughter of
Eisig and Taube nee FREUNDLICH

This is obviously your family connection - please note that Debora record is
registered in town Szczerzec

Another five records are listed in town Nawariya

2. FREINDLICH Frimet, born in 1883, daughter of Moses FREINDLICH >from
Podciemno and Beila FREINDLICH nee SCHMIR >from Bobrka

3 & 4. STEINER Aron, born in 1885 and Rubin, born in 1889, sons of Siesman
STEINER and Rebeca STEINER nee SOBEL both >from Podciemno

5 and 6. There appears to be a bit of confusion:
Josef SOBEL is listed as born and decesed at the same time - year is 1901,
son of Lejb and Rachel nee EHRENPREIS Sobels.

-------------

If you search All Poland database by surname FREINDLICH you will see that
Frimet listed above under 2. had sister Rebeka born in 1891. There are
other 16 FREINDLICH listed in Lwow, Mosty Wielkie, Strzeliska Nowe and Rawa
Ruska. They all related since all those towns are in Lwow vicinity.

You should order records on line to investigate connections of all
FREINDLICH mishpukhe.

Good luck with your search

Alexander Sharon
Calgary, Ab


Gesher Galicia SIG #Galicia Re: searching jewish people from the village of Podciemno #galicia

Alexander Sharon
 

Anat Shilansky wrote:

The village of Podciemno is situated not far >from lwow (lviv). My g-g
father was born there (the Freundlich family).
Since it is so small and not many jews living it is never mentioned.
If someone knows something about the village and/or people that used to
live there - please let me know.
Dear Anat,

It was small village indeed, just 414 residents (1921 Poland's National
Census data). It is not clear how large was Jewish population of this
shtetls since Pinkas Hakehilot (Yad vaShem's gazetteer) doesn't list the
locality.

Nowadays town is known as Pidtemnoye at 4940 2403, which is an Ukrainian
equivalent of Podciemno - and in both languages it means literally "under
the dark" or "in the darkness".

from the four local business listed in this shttel (refer to 1929 Poland
Business Directory) 50% or two people are Jewish - probably your gfather
FREUNDLICH is identified as the tobaco shop owner and F. HIRSZFELD as the
water mill owner.

http://data.jewishgen.org/jri-pl/1929/loadtop.htm?0752

Through "All Poland" database you can identify names of Jewish folks
associated with Podciemno:

http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/Poland/

There are six records:

1. MISCHEL Chaja Debora, born in 1881 >from town Krasow/Podciemno daughter of
Eisig and Taube nee FREUNDLICH

This is obviously your family connection - please note that Debora record is
registered in town Szczerzec

Another five records are listed in town Nawariya

2. FREINDLICH Frimet, born in 1883, daughter of Moses FREINDLICH >from
Podciemno and Beila FREINDLICH nee SCHMIR >from Bobrka

3 & 4. STEINER Aron, born in 1885 and Rubin, born in 1889, sons of Siesman
STEINER and Rebeca STEINER nee SOBEL both >from Podciemno

5 and 6. There appears to be a bit of confusion:
Josef SOBEL is listed as born and decesed at the same time - year is 1901,
son of Lejb and Rachel nee EHRENPREIS Sobels.

-------------

If you search All Poland database by surname FREINDLICH you will see that
Frimet listed above under 2. had sister Rebeka born in 1891. There are
other 16 FREINDLICH listed in Lwow, Mosty Wielkie, Strzeliska Nowe and Rawa
Ruska. They all related since all those towns are in Lwow vicinity.

You should order records on line to investigate connections of all
FREINDLICH mishpukhe.

Good luck with your search

Alexander Sharon
Calgary, Ab