Date   

need help #latvia

Sabrina Rabinovich
 

MODERATOR: This list is not the right one for the
below message. However, as I can see that Sabrina
posted it to both Lithuania and Belarus mailing
lists, I found that I should let it pass - mainly
because of the overlap between the countries due
to the many changes of borders over time.
----------------------------------------------------

Dear list

I'm new on the Jewishgen and need some advice. I was
looking a list of researchers but did not find any.
Maybe some of you knows a good one who works in
Vilna. I have many family names to search in the
region of Smorgany (Lithuania) and Druya (Belarus).
Can any of you confirm the availability of Druya
documents in Lithuanian archives?
Many thanks in advance.

Sabrina Rabinovich
sabrina_rab@yahoo.com
France

Researching: Milmann, Levy, Rabinovich (Smorgany),
Jofe, Grinin (Druya)


Latvia SIG #Latvia need help #latvia

Sabrina Rabinovich
 

MODERATOR: This list is not the right one for the
below message. However, as I can see that Sabrina
posted it to both Lithuania and Belarus mailing
lists, I found that I should let it pass - mainly
because of the overlap between the countries due
to the many changes of borders over time.
----------------------------------------------------

Dear list

I'm new on the Jewishgen and need some advice. I was
looking a list of researchers but did not find any.
Maybe some of you knows a good one who works in
Vilna. I have many family names to search in the
region of Smorgany (Lithuania) and Druya (Belarus).
Can any of you confirm the availability of Druya
documents in Lithuanian archives?
Many thanks in advance.

Sabrina Rabinovich
sabrina_rab@yahoo.com
France

Researching: Milmann, Levy, Rabinovich (Smorgany),
Jofe, Grinin (Druya)


Castle Garden immigration records and history #germany

Christopher Massur <cmassur@...>
 

Last week someone brought this web-site to my attention:

http://www.castlegarden.org/

it contains the early arrivals to New York >from the 1830's until the Ellis
Island data base takes over. Good luck

Christopher Massur, Curaçao

MOD NOTE: Castle Garden was used as an entry point for immigrants for some time
prior to the opening of the Ellis Island facility. The structure had been a
fort defending the New York colony. The cannons sheltered within its massive
walls gave that part of Manhattan its name, "The Battery". (Also Battery Park
and Battery Park City. The fort was originally on an island south of the colony
but was later connected to Manhattan's mainland by landfill.

In addition to being an immigration station and a fortress, it housed
an aquarium and, I believe, now serves as a museum. According to Robert Caro's
biography of New York's "Master Builder", Robert Moses, Moses attempted to have
the structure destroyed as revenge against historic preservation advocates who
blocked a proposed Moses building plan.

When you come to NYC for the 2006 IAJGS Conference,
stop by Castle Garden in Battery Park on your way to
the nearyby Museum of the Jewish Heritage, Ellis Island,
and the Statue of Liberty. John Paul Lowens - GerSIG MOD1


German SIG #Germany Castle Garden immigration records and history #germany

Christopher Massur <cmassur@...>
 

Last week someone brought this web-site to my attention:

http://www.castlegarden.org/

it contains the early arrivals to New York >from the 1830's until the Ellis
Island data base takes over. Good luck

Christopher Massur, Curaçao

MOD NOTE: Castle Garden was used as an entry point for immigrants for some time
prior to the opening of the Ellis Island facility. The structure had been a
fort defending the New York colony. The cannons sheltered within its massive
walls gave that part of Manhattan its name, "The Battery". (Also Battery Park
and Battery Park City. The fort was originally on an island south of the colony
but was later connected to Manhattan's mainland by landfill.

In addition to being an immigration station and a fortress, it housed
an aquarium and, I believe, now serves as a museum. According to Robert Caro's
biography of New York's "Master Builder", Robert Moses, Moses attempted to have
the structure destroyed as revenge against historic preservation advocates who
blocked a proposed Moses building plan.

When you come to NYC for the 2006 IAJGS Conference,
stop by Castle Garden in Battery Park on your way to
the nearyby Museum of the Jewish Heritage, Ellis Island,
and the Statue of Liberty. John Paul Lowens - GerSIG MOD1


Need help with SAIDE arrival #general

Lisa Dashman <ldashman@...>
 

Hello, Genners,
For over a year I have been trying to find the immigration record for
Eliezar/Lazar/Louis & Zlata Leah/Lena SAIDE. This couple, probably with a
very young daughter, left Russia and arrived in the US in the late 19th
century, settling in New York City. The 1910 Census states they arrived in
1890, so I've searched 1880-1900 in both Castle Garden and Ellis Island
databases. (I have not been able to locate them in the 1900 Census.) But it
is also possible they arrived through Canada as other members of that
family branch did later.

To complicate matters, besides SAIDE I've seen records with the name
spelled SUIDE, SEIDE, and ZIDE.

Can anyone suggest where else to search?

Best wishes,
Lisa Dashman
New York


hatter #general

sulamitb <sulamitb@...>
 

Dear Genners,
Many members of my family >from the town Tarnow were hatters. Part of them
moved to the States and worked as hatters in their new home.
Does anybody know if this was a typical Jewish profession? How was the
situation in other Galician cities? What is the "hatter decease"?
I will appreciate your answers.

Sulamith Beith Yannai
Jerusalem


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen Need help with SAIDE arrival #general

Lisa Dashman <ldashman@...>
 

Hello, Genners,
For over a year I have been trying to find the immigration record for
Eliezar/Lazar/Louis & Zlata Leah/Lena SAIDE. This couple, probably with a
very young daughter, left Russia and arrived in the US in the late 19th
century, settling in New York City. The 1910 Census states they arrived in
1890, so I've searched 1880-1900 in both Castle Garden and Ellis Island
databases. (I have not been able to locate them in the 1900 Census.) But it
is also possible they arrived through Canada as other members of that
family branch did later.

To complicate matters, besides SAIDE I've seen records with the name
spelled SUIDE, SEIDE, and ZIDE.

Can anyone suggest where else to search?

Best wishes,
Lisa Dashman
New York


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen hatter #general

sulamitb <sulamitb@...>
 

Dear Genners,
Many members of my family >from the town Tarnow were hatters. Part of them
moved to the States and worked as hatters in their new home.
Does anybody know if this was a typical Jewish profession? How was the
situation in other Galician cities? What is the "hatter decease"?
I will appreciate your answers.

Sulamith Beith Yannai
Jerusalem


About Viewmate-too short extracts #general

Stephane Toublanc <toublanc@...>
 

Hello

I will repeat here, some general observations we gave since long. Usually
persons who require translations on viewmate are showing too short extracts,
only few words. We never must forgive that it is very important to recognize
caracters to get larger extracts of a whole, to be abble to compare
caracters. This because how a cracter is written depends of the manner used
in each country and time first, and also depends of the person who has
written. So to recognize somethng with only one or two words, out of its
context, make the work more difficult if not impossible.
Thanks

Stephane Toublanc
Paris-France
toublanc@alicemail.fr

MODERATOR NOTE: ViewMate FAQs are available at:
http://data.jewishgen.org/viewmate/faq.html


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen About Viewmate-too short extracts #general

Stephane Toublanc <toublanc@...>
 

Hello

I will repeat here, some general observations we gave since long. Usually
persons who require translations on viewmate are showing too short extracts,
only few words. We never must forgive that it is very important to recognize
caracters to get larger extracts of a whole, to be abble to compare
caracters. This because how a cracter is written depends of the manner used
in each country and time first, and also depends of the person who has
written. So to recognize somethng with only one or two words, out of its
context, make the work more difficult if not impossible.
Thanks

Stephane Toublanc
Paris-France
toublanc@alicemail.fr

MODERATOR NOTE: ViewMate FAQs are available at:
http://data.jewishgen.org/viewmate/faq.html


Re: Preservation of electronic records #germany

Nick <tulse04-news@...>
 

"Keith Martin" < keithmart@talktalk.net > wrote:


whilst I agree with the sentiments of preserving electronic information,
the idea of using a "universal" language has been tried before. As no-one
has a crystal ball that can know which way technology will go, the
universal language approach fails.

Good old pieces of paper last through the centuries, and computers can
print out their information on paper.

It is still the best approach to future proof in my opinion
There are also serious problems of storage of paper - space, envioronment,
the quality of the paper etc, the documentataion.

Of course, the amount of information expands exponentially with computers -
just think of the amount of output that computers generate - so much for the
paperless office!

But see the UK National Archive website about standards for storage of
records.

The fact is that there are problems with the storage of records - both paper
and electronic.

Organisations need to have constant review on their record storage. There is
going to be a problem if records are kept for ever without any review of the
necessity for their retention.

I recently heard of a hospital where the employment records were kept in a
basement which was flooded and there were rats, and so they had to throw out
the records because they were a health danger.

Any serious organisation in the UK has to have a Records Management Policy.
The aspect of proper method of storage will be considered in such a policy.

Long-term storage will be in an Archive. They will have rules about method
of storage.

I do know that electronic computer tapes which were archived used to be
recopied every year in case there was any loss of quality in the data
stored.

--
Nick Landau
London, UK

COHNREICH (Anklam, Germany Krajenka, Poland) ATLAS (Wielkie Oczy (near
Lvov/Lemberg), Poland)
WECHSLER(Schwabach, Germany) KOHN (Wallerstein and Kleinerdlingen,Germany)
LANDAU/FREDKIN(Gomel, Mogilev, Belarus)


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen Re: Preservation of electronic records #general

Nick <tulse04-news@...>
 

"Keith Martin" < keithmart@talktalk.net > wrote:


whilst I agree with the sentiments of preserving electronic information,
the idea of using a "universal" language has been tried before. As no-one
has a crystal ball that can know which way technology will go, the
universal language approach fails.

Good old pieces of paper last through the centuries, and computers can
print out their information on paper.

It is still the best approach to future proof in my opinion
There are also serious problems of storage of paper - space, envioronment,
the quality of the paper etc, the documentataion.

Of course, the amount of information expands exponentially with computers -
just think of the amount of output that computers generate - so much for the
paperless office!

But see the UK National Archive website about standards for storage of
records.

The fact is that there are problems with the storage of records - both paper
and electronic.

Organisations need to have constant review on their record storage. There is
going to be a problem if records are kept for ever without any review of the
necessity for their retention.

I recently heard of a hospital where the employment records were kept in a
basement which was flooded and there were rats, and so they had to throw out
the records because they were a health danger.

Any serious organisation in the UK has to have a Records Management Policy.
The aspect of proper method of storage will be considered in such a policy.

Long-term storage will be in an Archive. They will have rules about method
of storage.

I do know that electronic computer tapes which were archived used to be
recopied every year in case there was any loss of quality in the data
stored.

--
Nick Landau
London, UK

COHNREICH (Anklam, Germany Krajenka, Poland) ATLAS (Wielkie Oczy (near
Lvov/Lemberg), Poland)
WECHSLER(Schwabach, Germany) KOHN (Wallerstein and Kleinerdlingen,Germany)
LANDAU/FREDKIN(Gomel, Mogilev, Belarus)


Re: Publishing Genealogies #general

Nick <tulse04-news@...>
 

"Hilary Henkin" < hilary@proppersource.com > wrote:

I'd like to offer a differing opinion about this topic, in total
agreement with Stan Goodman.
snip

If I list someone as "daughter, living", how can this lead to identity
theft? Even if I list "Ann, still living", how can this lead to identity
theft???? And how many cases of identity theft have you heard of which
began with info >from a genealogy website????
Well, my ISP (Internet Service Provider) BT Yahoo uses my mother's maiden
name as a way of accessing the Internet if I have forgotten my password.

There is lots of information that is obviously available on the Internet.
One person who posts on this newsgroup referred to me half-jokingly as
"spying" on her when I looked up her name and then when I wrote to her I
referred to some information I had found out about her.

I think I have referred previously to "data warehousing" which is used by
marketing companies. If they have a number of databases containing
information collected independently about people, they can then pool the
information >from the different databases to build up a much more detailed
picture of individuals.

In effect, the Internet is a intersecting set of a vast number of
independent databases.

Genealogical researchers are able to use this facility to build up a picture
of their ancestors.

Whilst noone minds this about people who are no longer alive, but people are
quite right to be concerned about the information about themselves available
on the Internet.

As in other areas of public interest, the fact that something is interesting
doesn't necessarily mean that such things are in the public interest.
--
Nick Landau
London, UK

COHNREICH (Anklam, Germany Krajenka, Poland) ATLAS (Wielkie Oczy (near
Lvov/Lemberg), Poland)
WECHSLER(Schwabach, Germany) KOHN (Wallerstein and Kleinerdlingen,Germany)
LANDAU/FREDKIN(Gomel, Mogilev, Belarus)


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen Re: Publishing Genealogies #general

Nick <tulse04-news@...>
 

"Hilary Henkin" < hilary@proppersource.com > wrote:

I'd like to offer a differing opinion about this topic, in total
agreement with Stan Goodman.
snip

If I list someone as "daughter, living", how can this lead to identity
theft? Even if I list "Ann, still living", how can this lead to identity
theft???? And how many cases of identity theft have you heard of which
began with info >from a genealogy website????
Well, my ISP (Internet Service Provider) BT Yahoo uses my mother's maiden
name as a way of accessing the Internet if I have forgotten my password.

There is lots of information that is obviously available on the Internet.
One person who posts on this newsgroup referred to me half-jokingly as
"spying" on her when I looked up her name and then when I wrote to her I
referred to some information I had found out about her.

I think I have referred previously to "data warehousing" which is used by
marketing companies. If they have a number of databases containing
information collected independently about people, they can then pool the
information >from the different databases to build up a much more detailed
picture of individuals.

In effect, the Internet is a intersecting set of a vast number of
independent databases.

Genealogical researchers are able to use this facility to build up a picture
of their ancestors.

Whilst noone minds this about people who are no longer alive, but people are
quite right to be concerned about the information about themselves available
on the Internet.

As in other areas of public interest, the fact that something is interesting
doesn't necessarily mean that such things are in the public interest.
--
Nick Landau
London, UK

COHNREICH (Anklam, Germany Krajenka, Poland) ATLAS (Wielkie Oczy (near
Lvov/Lemberg), Poland)
WECHSLER(Schwabach, Germany) KOHN (Wallerstein and Kleinerdlingen,Germany)
LANDAU/FREDKIN(Gomel, Mogilev, Belarus)


Re: "GRMY PRWR" + "RSA PRWR" on 1910 Census Miracode index cards #germany

DonnDevine@...
 

Michael Wendel wrote:

The end result, as researched by a Librarian/Researcher for the Great Falls
Genealogical Society, is that it most likely "has no valuable meaning
for genealogists".
While the librarian-researcher's information was correct, I disagree with the
conclusion. The notations "GRMY PRWR" and "RSA PRWR" on 1910 Census Miracode
index cards were added during indexing and are not information >from the
orginal census schedules. They are, however, valuable as a clear warning to users
that the nativity information was based on pre-war (pre-World War I) boundaries,
and could well apply to birth in Poland as it existed either between World
Wars, or in 1962, when the index was compiled by the Age-Search unit of the
Census Bureau.

Donn Devine Wilmington DE USA


German SIG #Germany Re: "GRMY PRWR" + "RSA PRWR" on 1910 Census Miracode index cards #germany

DonnDevine@...
 

Michael Wendel wrote:

The end result, as researched by a Librarian/Researcher for the Great Falls
Genealogical Society, is that it most likely "has no valuable meaning
for genealogists".
While the librarian-researcher's information was correct, I disagree with the
conclusion. The notations "GRMY PRWR" and "RSA PRWR" on 1910 Census Miracode
index cards were added during indexing and are not information >from the
orginal census schedules. They are, however, valuable as a clear warning to users
that the nativity information was based on pre-war (pre-World War I) boundaries,
and could well apply to birth in Poland as it existed either between World
Wars, or in 1962, when the index was compiled by the Age-Search unit of the
Census Bureau.

Donn Devine Wilmington DE USA


Publication of Pinkas ha-Kehillot Romania, Chapter of Iasi #general

Robert Sherins <rsherins@...>
 

Dear Genners,

The English translation of the chapter about the Jewish community
(Kehillah) of Iasi, Romania, has just been published on the
Jewishgen.org/Yizkor Book Translations website
< http://www.jewishgen.org/yizkor/pinkas_romania/rom1_00141.html >. It is
a very lengthy (66 pages/contained on two webpages) and scholarly
document, which summarizes the history of the Kehillah of Iasi since
the 16th century. The details of the history contained in this article
encompass the most important facts that are relevant to the history of
the other Jewish communities located elsewhere in Moldavia.

Most importantly, there was a vital trading relationship between Brody,
Galicia, and Iasi, Moldavia, since the 1500s, when the exports >from
Brody and other Eastern European states required the transport of goods
for shipment to the Moldavian port of Galati, which was located in the
delta leading to the Black Sea. Many Polish and Russian Jews immigrated
to Moldavia during the18-19th centuries, when the Romanian government
offered tax free privileges (they were known as sudits) to merchants,
businessmen, and skilled craftsmen, to encourage the development of
Moldavia. The extensive pre-existing trading relationships between Iasi
and Brody, Galicia, was another reason why Jewish merchants immigrated
to Iasi and other towns in Moldavia.

We have published the English translations of the history of the
Kehillah >from the Pinkas ha-Kehillot, Romania, of eleven towns in
Moldavia, which include: Botosani, Frumusica, Galati, Hirlau, Husi,
Iasi, Negresti, Podul Iloaiei, Pungesti, Roman, and Vaslui. To access
the translations, search the following url link
< http://www.jewishgen.org/Yizkor/translations.html >.

These translations >from the Pinkas ha-Kehillot Romania were made by the
donations of Robert S. Sherins, M.D., Richard J. Sherins, M.D., and
Beryle Solomon Buchman, and the English translations of Ziva Yavin,
Ph.D., and Rabbi Jack H Bloom, Ph.D. We encourage other "Genners" to
contribute to the Jewishgen.org/Yizkor Book Project and translate the
remaining chapters.

Robert S. Sherins, M.D.
Pacific Palisades, California


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen Publication of Pinkas ha-Kehillot Romania, Chapter of Iasi #general

Robert Sherins <rsherins@...>
 

Dear Genners,

The English translation of the chapter about the Jewish community
(Kehillah) of Iasi, Romania, has just been published on the
Jewishgen.org/Yizkor Book Translations website
< http://www.jewishgen.org/yizkor/pinkas_romania/rom1_00141.html >. It is
a very lengthy (66 pages/contained on two webpages) and scholarly
document, which summarizes the history of the Kehillah of Iasi since
the 16th century. The details of the history contained in this article
encompass the most important facts that are relevant to the history of
the other Jewish communities located elsewhere in Moldavia.

Most importantly, there was a vital trading relationship between Brody,
Galicia, and Iasi, Moldavia, since the 1500s, when the exports >from
Brody and other Eastern European states required the transport of goods
for shipment to the Moldavian port of Galati, which was located in the
delta leading to the Black Sea. Many Polish and Russian Jews immigrated
to Moldavia during the18-19th centuries, when the Romanian government
offered tax free privileges (they were known as sudits) to merchants,
businessmen, and skilled craftsmen, to encourage the development of
Moldavia. The extensive pre-existing trading relationships between Iasi
and Brody, Galicia, was another reason why Jewish merchants immigrated
to Iasi and other towns in Moldavia.

We have published the English translations of the history of the
Kehillah >from the Pinkas ha-Kehillot, Romania, of eleven towns in
Moldavia, which include: Botosani, Frumusica, Galati, Hirlau, Husi,
Iasi, Negresti, Podul Iloaiei, Pungesti, Roman, and Vaslui. To access
the translations, search the following url link
< http://www.jewishgen.org/Yizkor/translations.html >.

These translations >from the Pinkas ha-Kehillot Romania were made by the
donations of Robert S. Sherins, M.D., Richard J. Sherins, M.D., and
Beryle Solomon Buchman, and the English translations of Ziva Yavin,
Ph.D., and Rabbi Jack H Bloom, Ph.D. We encourage other "Genners" to
contribute to the Jewishgen.org/Yizkor Book Project and translate the
remaining chapters.

Robert S. Sherins, M.D.
Pacific Palisades, California


address in Manhattan in 1917 - DUHAN, ZIMMER? #general

Barbara Zimmer <bravo.zulu@...>
 

In 1917 Max DUHAN, age 37, born in Russia, registered for the World
War I draft and said that he was a cap maker. The name and address
of the employer is only partially legible in my copy (>from a paid
website) but seems to be " ..mmer's + Co" located at 25 W 25th
Street NY NY. Can anyone tell me what the name of the firm was?
Since the DUHAN family is somehow related to my ZIMMER family, I want
to know if one of my relatives owned the cap company. If so, who was
the owner??
(Yes, I will work my way through all the Zimmers in the WWI Draft
Registry looking for others working at the cap company, but maybe
there is someone with a directory who can help me....)

Barbara Zimmer
Norfolk VA


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen address in Manhattan in 1917 - DUHAN, ZIMMER? #general

Barbara Zimmer <bravo.zulu@...>
 

In 1917 Max DUHAN, age 37, born in Russia, registered for the World
War I draft and said that he was a cap maker. The name and address
of the employer is only partially legible in my copy (>from a paid
website) but seems to be " ..mmer's + Co" located at 25 W 25th
Street NY NY. Can anyone tell me what the name of the firm was?
Since the DUHAN family is somehow related to my ZIMMER family, I want
to know if one of my relatives owned the cap company. If so, who was
the owner??
(Yes, I will work my way through all the Zimmers in the WWI Draft
Registry looking for others working at the cap company, but maybe
there is someone with a directory who can help me....)

Barbara Zimmer
Norfolk VA