Date   

Re: POLISH PHOTO ID #poland

Andrew Blumberg <andrew.blumberg@...>
 

I don't know when they started, but my grandmother's Polish passport =
from 1921 had her picture in it. You can view it at
http://www.geocities.com/himmelfarbcousins/passport1.html.

Regards,

Andrew Blumberg
ablumberg at yahoo.com

Searching
BLUMBERG - Bielsk Podlaski or Bransk, Poland; EDELSTEIN / ADELSTEIN - in
or near Bessarabia; EIDUS / EIDUSS / AIDUS / AIDUSS / ADUS / EDUS - Dvinsk
& Riga, Latvia; GOLDMAN - Kolki, Ukraine; GERMAN / GURMAN - Bessarabia;
GILMAN - Ukraine (Kolki); KAPLAN - Bielsk Podlaski or Bransk,, Poland; KAPLAN -Kolki, Ukraine; LASKOWITZ - near Vilnius, Lithuania; RICHMAN -
Radomyshl, Ukraine; RITZ / RITS - Drissa & Miori, Belarus; HIMELFARB / HIMMELFARB /GIMELFARB - Kovel, Ukraine; KIPELMAN / KIPPELMAN / KIPILMAN - Kolki, Ukraine, and Lutsk (Luck), Poland


JRI Poland #Poland RE: POLISH PHOTO ID #poland

Andrew Blumberg <andrew.blumberg@...>
 

I don't know when they started, but my grandmother's Polish passport =
from 1921 had her picture in it. You can view it at
http://www.geocities.com/himmelfarbcousins/passport1.html.

Regards,

Andrew Blumberg
ablumberg at yahoo.com

Searching
BLUMBERG - Bielsk Podlaski or Bransk, Poland; EDELSTEIN / ADELSTEIN - in
or near Bessarabia; EIDUS / EIDUSS / AIDUS / AIDUSS / ADUS / EDUS - Dvinsk
& Riga, Latvia; GOLDMAN - Kolki, Ukraine; GERMAN / GURMAN - Bessarabia;
GILMAN - Ukraine (Kolki); KAPLAN - Bielsk Podlaski or Bransk,, Poland; KAPLAN -Kolki, Ukraine; LASKOWITZ - near Vilnius, Lithuania; RICHMAN -
Radomyshl, Ukraine; RITZ / RITS - Drissa & Miori, Belarus; HIMELFARB / HIMMELFARB /GIMELFARB - Kovel, Ukraine; KIPELMAN / KIPPELMAN / KIPILMAN - Kolki, Ukraine, and Lutsk (Luck), Poland


needed help in finding where my ggggrand father is buired and where he died #general

moose <schaeffer@...>
 

Hello all
I need help in finding where my great great
great grandfather is buried and where he died.

I have a newspaper article >from 1913 >from a
Yiddish newspaper i belive it is called das pollack.
the article says " Ninety three year old elder
David Hershowitz killed by a car - At 7:30AM,
in the 2nd police (district) the driver of
automobile #120, Carl Blumenfeed gave this account
At 7:30, driving on Asposia Boulevard, corner
of Weber street he noticed an elderly man, whom he
did not recognize, trying to cross the street.
He gave several warning signals, but the
stranger paid no attention. He was unable to stop
the car and ran over the old man and
severely inured him. The driver drove the
unfortunate man to the city hospital
there were no documents on the injured man
and it was only later discovered that this
was the 93 year old David Herschowitz the
father-in-law of the well-known local resident
Leib Kadish the outlook was very grim.
The doctors held outlittle hope of being
able to help the unfortunate one. The latest
news we received is that the elder Hershowitz
died at 10:30 last night in the hospital -
daughter Yetta Kadish."=

Any help would be appreciated. I think this was
in New York some where.

thank you for your help

moshe schaeffer
schaeffer@barak-online.net=0D

MODERATOR NOTE: Please respond privately


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen needed help in finding where my ggggrand father is buired and where he died #general

moose <schaeffer@...>
 

Hello all
I need help in finding where my great great
great grandfather is buried and where he died.

I have a newspaper article >from 1913 >from a
Yiddish newspaper i belive it is called das pollack.
the article says " Ninety three year old elder
David Hershowitz killed by a car - At 7:30AM,
in the 2nd police (district) the driver of
automobile #120, Carl Blumenfeed gave this account
At 7:30, driving on Asposia Boulevard, corner
of Weber street he noticed an elderly man, whom he
did not recognize, trying to cross the street.
He gave several warning signals, but the
stranger paid no attention. He was unable to stop
the car and ran over the old man and
severely inured him. The driver drove the
unfortunate man to the city hospital
there were no documents on the injured man
and it was only later discovered that this
was the 93 year old David Herschowitz the
father-in-law of the well-known local resident
Leib Kadish the outlook was very grim.
The doctors held outlittle hope of being
able to help the unfortunate one. The latest
news we received is that the elder Hershowitz
died at 10:30 last night in the hospital -
daughter Yetta Kadish."=

Any help would be appreciated. I think this was
in New York some where.

thank you for your help

moshe schaeffer
schaeffer@barak-online.net=0D

MODERATOR NOTE: Please respond privately


Re: Hebrew Sheltering or Shielding Arms, NYC #general

MSpearssol@...
 

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, NJ55TURTLE@aol.com wrote:
I am seeking any info on the Hebrew Sheltering or Shielding Arms,
which in 1893 was located at 210 Madison Ave., NYC.
What was it? Where are it's records located today?
Anything about it?

Steve Pickholtz
Tabernacle. New Jersey>>



The Hebrew Shielding Arms at 210 Madison Street,
though mentioned in some abstracts of orphans
and foundlings buried at various NYC area
Jewish cemetaries,I'm not sure exactly what is was.
I have no listing for it as an orphanage.

The Hebrew Sheltering Guardian Society, was
founded in 1879 to serve destitute children,
orphaned or not, since the Hebrew Orphan
Asylum had limited services to the orphaned.
It opened its first facility at 57th Street
and First Avenue; five years later had
five buildings in the neighborhood.

In 1887 moved to 150th Street and Broadway.

In 1912 it established the Pleasantville
Cottage School, in Westchester, one
of the first cottage-style orphanages, closing
its Broadway institution.

In 1913 HSGS opened Fellowship House as a separate
agency to serve alumni who needed vocational
guidance and counseling. (See below)*

In 1918 it established the Foster Home Bureau
to provide foster family care for young children,
as a result of growing conviction that
family life better for children's social and
emotional development than congregate
institutional living.

*The Hebrew Sheltering Guardian Society of
New York, became the Fellowship House
for Boys in 1913.

1916-1919:Fellowship House, located at 32 W.
15th St, NYC was aftercare and home-finding for
children over 16, who have been discharged by Hebrew
Sheltering Guardian Society of NY.
1921: Same name, located at 1192 Lexington Ave, NYC
1935: Same name and address
1940: Located at 71 W. 47th St, NYC,
aftercare and home-finding for children over 16
who have been discharged by Hebrew Sheltering
Guardian Society of NY Pleasantville, NY
1954: 216 E 20 th St, NYC, Residence for boys,
operated by JCCA (formerly Hebrew Sheltering
Guardian Society of NY)
1962-1965: Same address, residential treatment
center for 16 boys, ages 16-21 (or 15-18).

All records should be archived at the JCCA which
became the successor to most NYC area
Jewish orphanages.

Jewish Child Care Association
120 Wall Street
New York, NY 10005
Tel: (212)425-3333 * Fax: (212)425-9397
Attn: Leona M. Ferrer, Disclosure Coordinator

Marge Spears-Soloff
MSpearssol@aol.com
Orlando, FL
HNOHalumni@aol.com
HNOH Welcome - Jewish Orphanages in the United States
http://shell4.bayarea.net/~elias/hnoh/=20


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen Re: Hebrew Sheltering or Shielding Arms, NYC #general

MSpearssol@...
 

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, NJ55TURTLE@aol.com wrote:
I am seeking any info on the Hebrew Sheltering or Shielding Arms,
which in 1893 was located at 210 Madison Ave., NYC.
What was it? Where are it's records located today?
Anything about it?

Steve Pickholtz
Tabernacle. New Jersey>>



The Hebrew Shielding Arms at 210 Madison Street,
though mentioned in some abstracts of orphans
and foundlings buried at various NYC area
Jewish cemetaries,I'm not sure exactly what is was.
I have no listing for it as an orphanage.

The Hebrew Sheltering Guardian Society, was
founded in 1879 to serve destitute children,
orphaned or not, since the Hebrew Orphan
Asylum had limited services to the orphaned.
It opened its first facility at 57th Street
and First Avenue; five years later had
five buildings in the neighborhood.

In 1887 moved to 150th Street and Broadway.

In 1912 it established the Pleasantville
Cottage School, in Westchester, one
of the first cottage-style orphanages, closing
its Broadway institution.

In 1913 HSGS opened Fellowship House as a separate
agency to serve alumni who needed vocational
guidance and counseling. (See below)*

In 1918 it established the Foster Home Bureau
to provide foster family care for young children,
as a result of growing conviction that
family life better for children's social and
emotional development than congregate
institutional living.

*The Hebrew Sheltering Guardian Society of
New York, became the Fellowship House
for Boys in 1913.

1916-1919:Fellowship House, located at 32 W.
15th St, NYC was aftercare and home-finding for
children over 16, who have been discharged by Hebrew
Sheltering Guardian Society of NY.
1921: Same name, located at 1192 Lexington Ave, NYC
1935: Same name and address
1940: Located at 71 W. 47th St, NYC,
aftercare and home-finding for children over 16
who have been discharged by Hebrew Sheltering
Guardian Society of NY Pleasantville, NY
1954: 216 E 20 th St, NYC, Residence for boys,
operated by JCCA (formerly Hebrew Sheltering
Guardian Society of NY)
1962-1965: Same address, residential treatment
center for 16 boys, ages 16-21 (or 15-18).

All records should be archived at the JCCA which
became the successor to most NYC area
Jewish orphanages.

Jewish Child Care Association
120 Wall Street
New York, NY 10005
Tel: (212)425-3333 * Fax: (212)425-9397
Attn: Leona M. Ferrer, Disclosure Coordinator

Marge Spears-Soloff
MSpearssol@aol.com
Orlando, FL
HNOHalumni@aol.com
HNOH Welcome - Jewish Orphanages in the United States
http://shell4.bayarea.net/~elias/hnoh/=20


Re: be'la FARKAS or volvi GRUN #general

tom klein <jewishgen@...>
 

for what it's worth, the connection between "volvi".
("velvel" is a nickname for yiddish "vulf") and
"farkas" (hungarian for "wolf) is pretty obvious.
my guess is that his hungarian name was
"be'la GRU:N" (one "l" and an apostrophe on the
"e", umlaut over the "u") and his hebrew name was
"volvi" (velvel). he probably changed GRUN (one
of the most stereotypical jewish names in hungary) to
FARKAS in order to be less obviously jewish,
quite common in those days, and ironically
fooled no one but himself.

regards,

....... tom klein, toronto


"dani inbar" <dani_inbar@hotmail.com> wrote:

Deaf and mute >from Dez Romania was Bela Farkas. With that name he
came to Israel in 1947 and build a very nice family with two
daughters and two grandsons.Now he passed away and his daughter Tsila
Farkas want to Know what happened to all his 16 brothers and sisters
during w.w 2 and after it.Did some survived the Holocaust ?

After a lot of researches we know that his parents were Izrael and
Cecilia (or Roza).a few very old men >from Dez tolled us that he was
known in Dez as Volvi Grun (Grin),the son of Izrael Grun and not as
BELA FARKAS. So we have a man with two different names.


LDS #general

Tony Hausner
 

Many thanks to all those who have given
me advice on using the LDS.

Tony Hausner
Silver Spring, MD


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen Re: be'la FARKAS or volvi GRUN #general

tom klein <jewishgen@...>
 

for what it's worth, the connection between "volvi".
("velvel" is a nickname for yiddish "vulf") and
"farkas" (hungarian for "wolf) is pretty obvious.
my guess is that his hungarian name was
"be'la GRU:N" (one "l" and an apostrophe on the
"e", umlaut over the "u") and his hebrew name was
"volvi" (velvel). he probably changed GRUN (one
of the most stereotypical jewish names in hungary) to
FARKAS in order to be less obviously jewish,
quite common in those days, and ironically
fooled no one but himself.

regards,

....... tom klein, toronto


"dani inbar" <dani_inbar@hotmail.com> wrote:

Deaf and mute >from Dez Romania was Bela Farkas. With that name he
came to Israel in 1947 and build a very nice family with two
daughters and two grandsons.Now he passed away and his daughter Tsila
Farkas want to Know what happened to all his 16 brothers and sisters
during w.w 2 and after it.Did some survived the Holocaust ?

After a lot of researches we know that his parents were Izrael and
Cecilia (or Roza).a few very old men >from Dez tolled us that he was
known in Dez as Volvi Grun (Grin),the son of Izrael Grun and not as
BELA FARKAS. So we have a man with two different names.


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen LDS #general

Tony Hausner
 

Many thanks to all those who have given
me advice on using the LDS.

Tony Hausner
Silver Spring, MD


Re: Benveniste/Epstein connection #belarus

Shlomo Gurevich <shl2gur@...>
 

On 12 Dec 2003 Martin Epstein MEEpstein@aol.com wrote:

“Does anyone know of a connection between a Sephardic family( probably >from
Portugal)named Benveniste and the Epstein family >from Zhetl/Dyatlovo. They
left Portugal during the inquisition and headed east.They than broke up into
2 groups one taking the name Horowitz and the other taking the name Epstein”

According to our family tradition, the Horowitz family descends >from a
famous Spanish Rabbinical dynasty (11 generatiopns), of whom R. Benveniste
Ha-Levi, a grandson of R. Zerachyah Ha-Levi, author of “Ha-maor”, was the
seventh generation. Benveniste was his first name. More information about
the Horowitz family history can be found at the Horowitz Families
Association’s website at http://www.geocities.com/horowitzassociation, click
on “History”.

Shlomo Gurevich,
Horowitz Families Association
Hoshaya, Israel
shl2gur@yahoo.com


Belarus SIG #Belarus Re: Benveniste/Epstein connection #belarus

Shlomo Gurevich <shl2gur@...>
 

On 12 Dec 2003 Martin Epstein MEEpstein@aol.com wrote:

“Does anyone know of a connection between a Sephardic family( probably >from
Portugal)named Benveniste and the Epstein family >from Zhetl/Dyatlovo. They
left Portugal during the inquisition and headed east.They than broke up into
2 groups one taking the name Horowitz and the other taking the name Epstein”

According to our family tradition, the Horowitz family descends >from a
famous Spanish Rabbinical dynasty (11 generatiopns), of whom R. Benveniste
Ha-Levi, a grandson of R. Zerachyah Ha-Levi, author of “Ha-maor”, was the
seventh generation. Benveniste was his first name. More information about
the Horowitz family history can be found at the Horowitz Families
Association’s website at http://www.geocities.com/horowitzassociation, click
on “History”.

Shlomo Gurevich,
Horowitz Families Association
Hoshaya, Israel
shl2gur@yahoo.com


Narayev (Nazajow) #galicia

mhlcswc2@...
 

In which Gesher Galicia Research Group might Narayev fall? Also is it
possible that someone >from that area might alternately state that they were >from
Austria-Germany? Please forgive my possible ignorance. I've attempted to find
out the information on my own without success.

Thanks for reading and possible replying to this.

Marcia Hoffman - Baltimore, MD

FRIEDMAN, HAZELCORN, ODINS and derivatives, GREENBERG, MALEWITZ, GOODMAN
Galicia, Austria, Germany, Poland, Lithuania


Gesher Galicia SIG #Galicia Narayev (Nazajow) #galicia

mhlcswc2@...
 

In which Gesher Galicia Research Group might Narayev fall? Also is it
possible that someone >from that area might alternately state that they were >from
Austria-Germany? Please forgive my possible ignorance. I've attempted to find
out the information on my own without success.

Thanks for reading and possible replying to this.

Marcia Hoffman - Baltimore, MD

FRIEDMAN, HAZELCORN, ODINS and derivatives, GREENBERG, MALEWITZ, GOODMAN
Galicia, Austria, Germany, Poland, Lithuania


Looking for David ELLISON - Chicago #general

Jackye Sullins <jsullins@...>
 

I have just discovered that David Ellison
is my cousin and hope someone on the list
can help me find him. He was born in 1939 in
Chicago and is the son of Sam and Emily Ellison.
He has two brothers named Sam and Robert.

Please respond privately. Thank you in advance.

Jackye Sullins
San Diego


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen Looking for David ELLISON - Chicago #general

Jackye Sullins <jsullins@...>
 

I have just discovered that David Ellison
is my cousin and hope someone on the list
can help me find him. He was born in 1939 in
Chicago and is the son of Sam and Emily Ellison.
He has two brothers named Sam and Robert.

Please respond privately. Thank you in advance.

Jackye Sullins
San Diego


Town Tour addition to my Radzilow web page #general

Jose Gutstein
 

I've added a new section to my Radzilow web site:
Town Tour of major shtetls and villages in
the Radzilow area.

http://www.radzilow.com/towns/towntour.htm

The new section is designed as "web page within
a web page," to depict the major towns in
this area of northeastern Poland, in the former
Lomza gubernia, covering about 25 miles north
to south, and a similar distance
east to west.

The Town Tour uses my family as a typical
example of migration patterns in the area.
Most families >from the general area would
have a similar story,with roots and branches
in many of the same towns, since geographic
migration was greatly limited in one direction
by the huge Biebrza marshlands to the east.

Jose Gutstein
E-Mail: Gutstein@bellsouth.net
Radzilow web page: http://www.radzilow.com
Szczuczyn web page: http://www.szczuczyn.com
Wizna web page: http://www.wizna.com


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen Town Tour addition to my Radzilow web page #general

Jose Gutstein
 

I've added a new section to my Radzilow web site:
Town Tour of major shtetls and villages in
the Radzilow area.

http://www.radzilow.com/towns/towntour.htm

The new section is designed as "web page within
a web page," to depict the major towns in
this area of northeastern Poland, in the former
Lomza gubernia, covering about 25 miles north
to south, and a similar distance
east to west.

The Town Tour uses my family as a typical
example of migration patterns in the area.
Most families >from the general area would
have a similar story,with roots and branches
in many of the same towns, since geographic
migration was greatly limited in one direction
by the huge Biebrza marshlands to the east.

Jose Gutstein
E-Mail: Gutstein@bellsouth.net
Radzilow web page: http://www.radzilow.com
Szczuczyn web page: http://www.szczuczyn.com
Wizna web page: http://www.wizna.com


WEISENGREEN family, 1920s, NYC #general

jeremy frankel
 

I have just retrieved a marriage certificate for
Tina KOENIGSBERG to Louis WEISENGREEN. Tina was
my first cousin twice removed. They were married
in December, 1923, in New York City and were
divorced several years later. Tina then married
Maurice LESCHEN in June, 1930.

I wonder if anyone knows of Louis and what
became of him? Were there any children, as I
know Tina didn't get custody if there were?
His parents were Bernard and Leah (nee Kalken?),
and they lived at 124 2nd Avenue, NYC.

Jeremy G. Frankel
Oakland, CA, USA

MODERATOR NOTE: Please respond privately


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen WEISENGREEN family, 1920s, NYC #general

jeremy frankel
 

I have just retrieved a marriage certificate for
Tina KOENIGSBERG to Louis WEISENGREEN. Tina was
my first cousin twice removed. They were married
in December, 1923, in New York City and were
divorced several years later. Tina then married
Maurice LESCHEN in June, 1930.

I wonder if anyone knows of Louis and what
became of him? Were there any children, as I
know Tina didn't get custody if there were?
His parents were Bernard and Leah (nee Kalken?),
and they lived at 124 2nd Avenue, NYC.

Jeremy G. Frankel
Oakland, CA, USA

MODERATOR NOTE: Please respond privately