Date   

Translation: Polish to English #general

edblo@...
 

In response to my enquiry, I received a reply >from the Polish Archives
( "Centralnego Osrodka Informatictji Archivalnej"] in Warsaw.

I need this letter translated, and would very grateful if someone
could do this for me. Its contents only occupy about three quarters
of a page.

Edmond Bloch
ebloch@nc.rr.com


Donn/Buchman/Kushner #ukraine

David Donn <ddonn@...>
 

Thanks for the help :)

I am entered in JGFF
I am seeking both contemporaries and info on ancestors. Contemporaries if
they exsist would be nice.
I have checked the Jewish Gen archives
I have checked FTJP
I have checked the Hamburg Passenger indexes
I have checked the Social Security Death Index
I have read the JewishGen FAQ

However, where might I find the US census records? Are they available
online?

Thanks again for all of the help and suggestions. It really is appreciated.


David Donn
Researching:
Donn (>from Ukraine and Lithuania) Buchman (Belarus), Kushner (from
Austria, Siberia, Ukraine)


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen Translation: Polish to English #general

edblo@...
 

In response to my enquiry, I received a reply >from the Polish Archives
( "Centralnego Osrodka Informatictji Archivalnej"] in Warsaw.

I need this letter translated, and would very grateful if someone
could do this for me. Its contents only occupy about three quarters
of a page.

Edmond Bloch
ebloch@nc.rr.com


Ukraine SIG #Ukraine Donn/Buchman/Kushner #ukraine

David Donn <ddonn@...>
 

Thanks for the help :)

I am entered in JGFF
I am seeking both contemporaries and info on ancestors. Contemporaries if
they exsist would be nice.
I have checked the Jewish Gen archives
I have checked FTJP
I have checked the Hamburg Passenger indexes
I have checked the Social Security Death Index
I have read the JewishGen FAQ

However, where might I find the US census records? Are they available
online?

Thanks again for all of the help and suggestions. It really is appreciated.


David Donn
Researching:
Donn (>from Ukraine and Lithuania) Buchman (Belarus), Kushner (from
Austria, Siberia, Ukraine)


Re: Need help with translation #belarus

mpfreed28315861@...
 

Barbara" <bdimunno@pioneeris.net> wrote:

I just posted my ancestor's signature at http://www.jewishgen.org/viewmate/
This signature appeared on a land deed in Augusta Co., VA October
1781.

Can anyone tell me if this is 'Old Hebrew' handwriting and translate
Yes this is Hebrew.
It reads "Noson son of reb Yosef" which means Nathan the son of (Mr.)
Joseph.

Murray Freedman
Leeds UK


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen Re: Need help with translation #general

mpfreed28315861@...
 

Barbara" <bdimunno@pioneeris.net> wrote:

I just posted my ancestor's signature at http://www.jewishgen.org/viewmate/
This signature appeared on a land deed in Augusta Co., VA October
1781.

Can anyone tell me if this is 'Old Hebrew' handwriting and translate
Yes this is Hebrew.
It reads "Noson son of reb Yosef" which means Nathan the son of (Mr.)
Joseph.

Murray Freedman
Leeds UK


Re: Occupation "Krovelschik"--in Russian #general

MarkGrekin <markgrekin@...>
 

Maria,
"Krovel'shchik" = a worker who does roofing, be it Roofing iron, slate
roofing or tiling.
Mark Grekin


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen Re: Occupation "Krovelschik"--in Russian #general

MarkGrekin <markgrekin@...>
 

Maria,
"Krovel'shchik" = a worker who does roofing, be it Roofing iron, slate
roofing or tiling.
Mark Grekin


Re: London - Looking for burial place. Where to start? #general

mpfreed28315861@...
 

"Yaacov Slizak" <yslizak@nospam.eircom.net> wrote:

Hi,

How can I locate my G-G-Grandfather's burial site ?. He died in London in
1924, but I don't have any idea where exactly did he lived.

I've got his Death Certificate >from the General Register Office. The
registration District was the "Mile End Old Town, South Western, County of
London". The informant was registered as "Deputy Coroner for theEastern
District of London". These are the only clues I have about his residence...

I will spend a week in London next month and I'd like to have any advise
about how to locate his grave.
It is probable that he lived in the East End and buried in one of the
cemeteries belonging to a synagogue situated there at the time.
All I can suggest is that you look at a recent copy of the Jewish Year
Book which will list the addresses of London Jewish cemeteries and
contact each of them. My suggestion is to try those of the Federation
of Synagogues first.

Murray Freedman


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen Re: London - Looking for burial place. Where to start? #general

mpfreed28315861@...
 

"Yaacov Slizak" <yslizak@nospam.eircom.net> wrote:

Hi,

How can I locate my G-G-Grandfather's burial site ?. He died in London in
1924, but I don't have any idea where exactly did he lived.

I've got his Death Certificate >from the General Register Office. The
registration District was the "Mile End Old Town, South Western, County of
London". The informant was registered as "Deputy Coroner for theEastern
District of London". These are the only clues I have about his residence...

I will spend a week in London next month and I'd like to have any advise
about how to locate his grave.
It is probable that he lived in the East End and buried in one of the
cemeteries belonging to a synagogue situated there at the time.
All I can suggest is that you look at a recent copy of the Jewish Year
Book which will list the addresses of London Jewish cemeteries and
contact each of them. My suggestion is to try those of the Federation
of Synagogues first.

Murray Freedman


Are Others Interested In Your Hobby? was Re: Jewish bootleggers #general

The Kendrick's <kendrickkreation@...>
 

Rochelle Nameroff wrote:

Another question: Are many of you finding that you are the only one in
your family interested in the past, and receive a "Don't bother me/who
cares?" response or ones >from anger/suspicion to complete disinterest.
In most cases, yes. I am finding that the younger generations of my
BLOCH, DZIEKIEWICZ, RINGGOLD, RING links are more interested. More
specifically, four of us in our late 30's and early 40's are working
on either the above names or maternal lineage. Outside of this
generation only two older family members in the next generation seem
interested. Thankfully, one is a subscriber to this list.

I've been so excited about all my discoveries, as well as thrilled to
hear of other family's searchs--thrilled to the point where I feel such
a deep Jewish identity!
My emotions exactly in the beginning. Now, after four years of research
and four years of very little interest >from my parents and other
relatives, I don't even tell them much anymore.

--that it's beginning to hurt me not to be able to
share these discoveries with the remaining living members of my family.
An irony or just another familiar story? Maybe I'm just upset about
what "family" is. Or isn't.
Remember one crucial thing, this is a hobby. This is *your* hobby. Just as
you may not be interested in one of your relatives hobbies, they might not
be interested in yours. Not everyone wants to know about family. Granted,
it's hard for us to understand that, but it might be just as hard for others
to understand why in the world we spend out time doing this. Always put
yourself in their position before judging them or their responses.

I have adopted a question anytime I want to "announce" a new find to
members of my family; "did you start researching for yourself or to
announce things to others?" My feeling is if other family members were
interested, they would have begun their own research. As a result, when
someone in your family responds negatively, remember this is something
you want to learn. If they wanted to, it's up to them to persue it.

One last thing, don't "push" your interests on others. Let them know you
have new information via letter, e-mail, i.e. communication but don't
"force it on them." Close the communication with, "if you are interested in
more information and specifics, please contact me and I will be happy to
share it with you." Leave it up to them to decide and request the info.
Nancy Ring-Kendrick
Daytona Beach, FL
Searching: BLOCH /BUGEN /DZIEKIEWICZ /GROSS /GROSSMAN /KISH /RING /RINGGOLD
http://www.familytreemaker.com/users/k/e/n/Nancy-R-Kendrick/
Updated November 22, 2000


Re: "Occupation 'Krovelschhik'-in Russian" #general

NFatouros@...
 

In her message of 11-24-00 Maria Krane asked what "Krovelschik" means in
Russian. I checked my big Oxford Russian-English Dictionary and I think
it means "roof maker." So I've not only learned a new Russian word but a
Russian word which is not related to the Revolution, its newspapers and
periodicals, and its various factions!

Naomi Fatouros (nee FELDMAN)
Bloomington, Indiana
NFatouros@aol.com
Researching: BELKOWSKY, Odessa, Berdichev; FELDMAN, Pinsk; SHUTZ, SCHUTZ,
Shcherets; LEVY, Mulhouse;SAS, Podwolochisk; RAPOPORT, Tarnopol.


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen Are Others Interested In Your Hobby? was Re: Jewish bootleggers #general

The Kendrick's <kendrickkreation@...>
 

Rochelle Nameroff wrote:

Another question: Are many of you finding that you are the only one in
your family interested in the past, and receive a "Don't bother me/who
cares?" response or ones >from anger/suspicion to complete disinterest.
In most cases, yes. I am finding that the younger generations of my
BLOCH, DZIEKIEWICZ, RINGGOLD, RING links are more interested. More
specifically, four of us in our late 30's and early 40's are working
on either the above names or maternal lineage. Outside of this
generation only two older family members in the next generation seem
interested. Thankfully, one is a subscriber to this list.

I've been so excited about all my discoveries, as well as thrilled to
hear of other family's searchs--thrilled to the point where I feel such
a deep Jewish identity!
My emotions exactly in the beginning. Now, after four years of research
and four years of very little interest >from my parents and other
relatives, I don't even tell them much anymore.

--that it's beginning to hurt me not to be able to
share these discoveries with the remaining living members of my family.
An irony or just another familiar story? Maybe I'm just upset about
what "family" is. Or isn't.
Remember one crucial thing, this is a hobby. This is *your* hobby. Just as
you may not be interested in one of your relatives hobbies, they might not
be interested in yours. Not everyone wants to know about family. Granted,
it's hard for us to understand that, but it might be just as hard for others
to understand why in the world we spend out time doing this. Always put
yourself in their position before judging them or their responses.

I have adopted a question anytime I want to "announce" a new find to
members of my family; "did you start researching for yourself or to
announce things to others?" My feeling is if other family members were
interested, they would have begun their own research. As a result, when
someone in your family responds negatively, remember this is something
you want to learn. If they wanted to, it's up to them to persue it.

One last thing, don't "push" your interests on others. Let them know you
have new information via letter, e-mail, i.e. communication but don't
"force it on them." Close the communication with, "if you are interested in
more information and specifics, please contact me and I will be happy to
share it with you." Leave it up to them to decide and request the info.
Nancy Ring-Kendrick
Daytona Beach, FL
Searching: BLOCH /BUGEN /DZIEKIEWICZ /GROSS /GROSSMAN /KISH /RING /RINGGOLD
http://www.familytreemaker.com/users/k/e/n/Nancy-R-Kendrick/
Updated November 22, 2000


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen Re: "Occupation 'Krovelschhik'-in Russian" #general

NFatouros@...
 

In her message of 11-24-00 Maria Krane asked what "Krovelschik" means in
Russian. I checked my big Oxford Russian-English Dictionary and I think
it means "roof maker." So I've not only learned a new Russian word but a
Russian word which is not related to the Revolution, its newspapers and
periodicals, and its various factions!

Naomi Fatouros (nee FELDMAN)
Bloomington, Indiana
NFatouros@aol.com
Researching: BELKOWSKY, Odessa, Berdichev; FELDMAN, Pinsk; SHUTZ, SCHUTZ,
Shcherets; LEVY, Mulhouse;SAS, Podwolochisk; RAPOPORT, Tarnopol.


Re: Graveston... #general

cohen ziv <cohenziv@...>
 

1.mem - vav - tsadee yod - vav- faf neans at the end of Yom Cipur
the night the holiday end or Shabot end call "motsaey..." and in short
"mits'" Yom Cipur is written in short "yoc" the tow letters of the words
"yom" and the first letter of "cipur".
2. bet vav I don know what that means, the other word : "shin bet... means
"tow weeks" - one week we say in Hebrew "shavoa" tow weeks we say "
shvoayim"
3. the first line I have no idea
Ziv Cohen


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen re:Graveston... #general

cohen ziv <cohenziv@...>
 

1.mem - vav - tsadee yod - vav- faf neans at the end of Yom Cipur
the night the holiday end or Shabot end call "motsaey..." and in short
"mits'" Yom Cipur is written in short "yoc" the tow letters of the words
"yom" and the first letter of "cipur".
2. bet vav I don know what that means, the other word : "shin bet... means
"tow weeks" - one week we say in Hebrew "shavoa" tow weeks we say "
shvoayim"
3. the first line I have no idea
Ziv Cohen


ADLER FAMILY - Nagyvarad #hungary

assaph caspi <mcaspi@...>
 

Am interested to find relatives or anyone who may know about my father's
family >from Nagyvarad:

ADLER: Michael (my father) , Arpad, Samu, Rose, Yolan Birthdates c. l900.
Grandfather's name: Matias Adler, Grandmother's name: Helen SCHWARTZ.
Other relatives name: ENGLANDER
Some of the family lived in the Chicago area Any information would be
greatly appreciated.

Marsha Caspi
Savyon, Israel


Hungary SIG #Hungary ADLER FAMILY - Nagyvarad #hungary

assaph caspi <mcaspi@...>
 

Am interested to find relatives or anyone who may know about my father's
family >from Nagyvarad:

ADLER: Michael (my father) , Arpad, Samu, Rose, Yolan Birthdates c. l900.
Grandfather's name: Matias Adler, Grandmother's name: Helen SCHWARTZ.
Other relatives name: ENGLANDER
Some of the family lived in the Chicago area Any information would be
greatly appreciated.

Marsha Caspi
Savyon, Israel


Re: Help - goldmine of info from Slovakia #hungary

korman3 <korman3@...>
 

I sent a request for information relating to my grandmother's youngest
brother, Markus Roth, born in 1915 in eastern Slovakia. He was drafted
into the Czech army, disappeared during the Shoah, and was said to have
been killed after the war trying to cross the border back into Slovakia.
We actually don't know what happened to him.

I received about 8 pages of documents (no charge!). Some, I believe, are
school records. But there is one entry, and a pararaph, that I would
love to have translated by one of you out there:

Konec r. 1942 byv. cet. asp. v. zal. - zemrel usmercen v
koncentracnim tabore v. Oswecime. Vynos MNO cj. 480-I/3.oddel. 1939
ze dne 12.1.49. /cj. 42 898/49/VSU.

V zmysle zakona c. 305/1999 Z. z. o zmierneni niektorych krivd osobam
deportovanym do nascistyckych koncentracnych a zajateckych taborov Vam
potvrdzujem, ze v mennom zozane zaradencov VI. robotneho praporu
(,,zidovskeho") Vychodnej pracovnej skupiny Pracovneho zboru MNO SR c
233387 Dov. 1941 z 24.3. 1941 je vyssie menovany uvedeny pod poradovym
cislom 1591 ako Markus Roth, rocnik narodenia 1915, prislusny do DOV
Michalovce.

Many thanks in advance.


Hungary SIG #Hungary Re: Help - goldmine of info from Slovakia #hungary

korman3 <korman3@...>
 

I sent a request for information relating to my grandmother's youngest
brother, Markus Roth, born in 1915 in eastern Slovakia. He was drafted
into the Czech army, disappeared during the Shoah, and was said to have
been killed after the war trying to cross the border back into Slovakia.
We actually don't know what happened to him.

I received about 8 pages of documents (no charge!). Some, I believe, are
school records. But there is one entry, and a pararaph, that I would
love to have translated by one of you out there:

Konec r. 1942 byv. cet. asp. v. zal. - zemrel usmercen v
koncentracnim tabore v. Oswecime. Vynos MNO cj. 480-I/3.oddel. 1939
ze dne 12.1.49. /cj. 42 898/49/VSU.

V zmysle zakona c. 305/1999 Z. z. o zmierneni niektorych krivd osobam
deportovanym do nascistyckych koncentracnych a zajateckych taborov Vam
potvrdzujem, ze v mennom zozane zaradencov VI. robotneho praporu
(,,zidovskeho") Vychodnej pracovnej skupiny Pracovneho zboru MNO SR c
233387 Dov. 1941 z 24.3. 1941 je vyssie menovany uvedeny pod poradovym
cislom 1591 ako Markus Roth, rocnik narodenia 1915, prislusny do DOV
Michalovce.

Many thanks in advance.