Date   

R. Leopold Lipot LOEW #general

Stephen T. Falk <sfalk81162@...>
 

I am looking for a genealogy of Rabbi Leopold LOEW of Hungary (1811-1875)
and/or his son Immanuel LOEW (1854-1944). According to the entries in the
Encyclopedia Judaica (1972), they were descended >from the Maharal, R. Judah
Loew b. Bezalel. I am interested in finding the details of that family
tree.

I recently received a letter >from a 10th cousin or so, who is descended
from the Maharal, through Leopold (Lipot). I would like to fill in the
gaps in that family connection.

Thank you,
Stephen Falk

Wayne, PA
sfalk81162@...

Searching: all in Breslau (and in)
FALK (Lissa) FREUND (Schmiegel) BACH (Inowroclaw-Tarnowitz-Myslowitz) PERL
(Kieferstadtel) IMMERWAHR (Brieg-Kreuzberg) SILBERSTEIN (Brieg)
KALISCHER (Lissa-Thorn-Kalisch)


SKULSKY or SKUSKIJ from Kovno #general

Stephen G. Esrati <stevsta@...>
 

We are looking for descendants of Mary SKULSKIJ or SKULSKY who came to
the United States >from Kovno in 1898 or later after attending her
brother's wedding in York, England.

Researching SKULSKY (MORRIS) of York and Leeds; WILDER of Horton and
Leeds; DEVENISHKY (DEVONS); COHEN of Wolverhampton, York, Leeds;
EDELSTEIN (Elston, Edelston). Also, MEIER or MEYER (Schoenlanke, Berlin;
HIRSCH (Berlin Dortmund); GOTTSCHALK (Orsoy).

--
Nina Esrati

Shaker Heights, OH


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen R. Leopold Lipot LOEW #general

Stephen T. Falk <sfalk81162@...>
 

I am looking for a genealogy of Rabbi Leopold LOEW of Hungary (1811-1875)
and/or his son Immanuel LOEW (1854-1944). According to the entries in the
Encyclopedia Judaica (1972), they were descended >from the Maharal, R. Judah
Loew b. Bezalel. I am interested in finding the details of that family
tree.

I recently received a letter >from a 10th cousin or so, who is descended
from the Maharal, through Leopold (Lipot). I would like to fill in the
gaps in that family connection.

Thank you,
Stephen Falk

Wayne, PA
sfalk81162@...

Searching: all in Breslau (and in)
FALK (Lissa) FREUND (Schmiegel) BACH (Inowroclaw-Tarnowitz-Myslowitz) PERL
(Kieferstadtel) IMMERWAHR (Brieg-Kreuzberg) SILBERSTEIN (Brieg)
KALISCHER (Lissa-Thorn-Kalisch)


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen SKULSKY or SKUSKIJ from Kovno #general

Stephen G. Esrati <stevsta@...>
 

We are looking for descendants of Mary SKULSKIJ or SKULSKY who came to
the United States >from Kovno in 1898 or later after attending her
brother's wedding in York, England.

Researching SKULSKY (MORRIS) of York and Leeds; WILDER of Horton and
Leeds; DEVENISHKY (DEVONS); COHEN of Wolverhampton, York, Leeds;
EDELSTEIN (Elston, Edelston). Also, MEIER or MEYER (Schoenlanke, Berlin;
HIRSCH (Berlin Dortmund); GOTTSCHALK (Orsoy).

--
Nina Esrati

Shaker Heights, OH


Beider's Dictionary of Jewish Surnames #general

Rlberliner@...
 

I think I have solved the mystery. Log on to the site below as posted.
Then, in the search bar, put in "surnames" (without the quote marks) and
it will take you to 19 views. Scroll down to see if you can find what
you're looking for.

Initially, when I put in a surname, I got zero results also. Today, with
so many postings on Jewishgen with negative results, I tried something
different. I did find my family surname, with a Russian spelling of course.

http://www.ancestry.com/search/rectype/inddbs/3173.htm

Good luck! I hope this works for you.

Rachelle Leaf Berliner
Savannah GA
rlberliner@...


Re: Organising a reunion #general

Joel Levinson <joell@...>
 

At 10:29 AM 9/11/00 +0100, Michael Scott wrote:
I have been asked by a distant side of my family to organise a reunion.
It seems there could be in excess of 100 people. We are thinking on the
lines of perhaps a tea party at a local hotel.

Does anyone have any advice about how to go about organising it. For
example identifying different family lines.

Do you think we should make an announcement in the press or should it be
by word of mouth.

Any advice would be welcome.

When we organised our reunion last year, we sent out invitations. Another
thing that everyone liked - I made up booklets for everyone that were
personalized. The booklet contained a kinship report, listing how each
person was related to the others, so each boooklet was personalized. The
booklets also contained family trees and family history reports, as well
as some of the more interesting documents of family history. Everyone
loved them, and I've received calls >from people who did not attend
wondering if I could sent them one.


Book from Turkey #general

Daniel Kazez <dkazez@...>
 

Have you ever wanted more information on a book published in Turkey?
This Bogazici University Online Catalog should be of great help:

http://seyhan.library.boun.edu.tr/search

Daniel Kazez <dkazez@...>
Springfield, Ohio USA
Poland: TALMAN, ENGLANDER, JURKIEWICZ, STRAUSBERG, KIFER, CZAPNIK
Ukraine: OBERMAN-HOBERMAN-GUBERMAN, LISS, SOBLE-SOBEL, STEIN, AXMAN
Turkey: KAZEZ-KAZES, FRESKO-FRESCO, ALHADEF-ELHADEF
http://userpages.wittenberg.edu/dkazez/fam/ent/fam.html


Re: given name Icchok #general

mpfreed28315861@...
 

In article <v03010d11b5e05a4af6e2@[128.148.44.163]>,
Judith Romney Wegner <jrw@...> wrote:
Can anyone tell me what the Hebrew and English equivalent
would be for the name Icchok?
No mystery here! " Ic-chok" is simply a phonetic
transliteration (in some language like Polish, which
pronounces the "c" like "ts" and the "ch" as a guttural "h")
for the biblical name Yitzhak -- in other words, Isaac!
there is no doubt it is Yitschok (note the Ashkenazi spelling)
It is interesting that amongst the medieval English Jewish community
(i.e.prior to the Expulsion in 1290) the name was shortemed to Cok in
documents.

Murray Freedman
Leeds UK


Re: Beider's Dictionary online #general

mpfreed28315861@...
 

In article <20000910222553.14351.00000700@...>,
bettejoy@... (BetteJoy) wrote:
Also having problems. Entered names in Beider's Dictionary.
Could not be found online.
I have also had similar problems.
For a very good source book (not on line) which I have recommended
before I suggest the Oxford "Dictionary of Surnames" by Hanks and
Hodges. This has a large Jewish input and should be found in most
libraries -
certainly in the UK.

Murray Freedman
Leeds UK


Re: KLEIN Family of "Litichev" #general

NFatouros@...
 

In part of his message of 9-10-00, Dan Cavalier asked about the town of
"Litichev, Russia." Only the day before yesterday I answered John
Zunino's inquiry about this shtetl, which he said sounded like "letachev."
I had written that:

"My 1962 Columbia Lippincott Gazetter has a entry for "Letichev," a town
which in 1926 had a population of 7,100. It is in the east Kamenets-
Podolski oblast, on the Southern Bug River, 28 miles east of Proskurov. It
did food processing and cotton milling.

Chester G. Cohen in his Shtetl Finder Gazetteer says that it is southwest
of Kiev and east of Proskurov. There is an article about the town
(probably a brief one), in the Encyclopedia Judaica."

Naomi Fatouros
NFatouros@...
Bloomington, Indiana


Re: Difficulties with Translating URL #general

Myron Chijner <mchijner@...>
 

Hi,
Carol Raspler mentioned that I sent her a personal translation of
the URL she had. This translation was not a personal one, but rather a
machine translation >from a personal program. The one I use is similar
to the one found at http://www.freetranslation.com

I appreciate the acknowledgement, but wanted to set the record
straight -- especially in this month of Elul.

Regards,
Myron

Myron Chijner
mchijner@...

Carol Raspler wrote:

Thanks to all who wrote in with suggestions and answers regarding a
URL I had found in my Bookmarks
that I couldn't interpret because it was in German. The best
suggestion came >from a personal friend
who recommended
http://babelfish.altavista.com/translate.dyn
which site did the job for me and I therefore, recommend to you all
for translations. . . A special
thanks to Myron Chijner who took time >from his own work to translate
the page in its entirety.


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen Beider's Dictionary of Jewish Surnames #general

Rlberliner@...
 

I think I have solved the mystery. Log on to the site below as posted.
Then, in the search bar, put in "surnames" (without the quote marks) and
it will take you to 19 views. Scroll down to see if you can find what
you're looking for.

Initially, when I put in a surname, I got zero results also. Today, with
so many postings on Jewishgen with negative results, I tried something
different. I did find my family surname, with a Russian spelling of course.

http://www.ancestry.com/search/rectype/inddbs/3173.htm

Good luck! I hope this works for you.

Rachelle Leaf Berliner
Savannah GA
rlberliner@...


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen Re: Organising a reunion #general

Joel Levinson <joell@...>
 

At 10:29 AM 9/11/00 +0100, Michael Scott wrote:
I have been asked by a distant side of my family to organise a reunion.
It seems there could be in excess of 100 people. We are thinking on the
lines of perhaps a tea party at a local hotel.

Does anyone have any advice about how to go about organising it. For
example identifying different family lines.

Do you think we should make an announcement in the press or should it be
by word of mouth.

Any advice would be welcome.

When we organised our reunion last year, we sent out invitations. Another
thing that everyone liked - I made up booklets for everyone that were
personalized. The booklet contained a kinship report, listing how each
person was related to the others, so each boooklet was personalized. The
booklets also contained family trees and family history reports, as well
as some of the more interesting documents of family history. Everyone
loved them, and I've received calls >from people who did not attend
wondering if I could sent them one.


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen Book from Turkey #general

Daniel Kazez <dkazez@...>
 

Have you ever wanted more information on a book published in Turkey?
This Bogazici University Online Catalog should be of great help:

http://seyhan.library.boun.edu.tr/search

Daniel Kazez <dkazez@...>
Springfield, Ohio USA
Poland: TALMAN, ENGLANDER, JURKIEWICZ, STRAUSBERG, KIFER, CZAPNIK
Ukraine: OBERMAN-HOBERMAN-GUBERMAN, LISS, SOBLE-SOBEL, STEIN, AXMAN
Turkey: KAZEZ-KAZES, FRESKO-FRESCO, ALHADEF-ELHADEF
http://userpages.wittenberg.edu/dkazez/fam/ent/fam.html


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen Re:given name Icchok #general

mpfreed28315861@...
 

In article <v03010d11b5e05a4af6e2@[128.148.44.163]>,
Judith Romney Wegner <jrw@...> wrote:
Can anyone tell me what the Hebrew and English equivalent
would be for the name Icchok?
No mystery here! " Ic-chok" is simply a phonetic
transliteration (in some language like Polish, which
pronounces the "c" like "ts" and the "ch" as a guttural "h")
for the biblical name Yitzhak -- in other words, Isaac!
there is no doubt it is Yitschok (note the Ashkenazi spelling)
It is interesting that amongst the medieval English Jewish community
(i.e.prior to the Expulsion in 1290) the name was shortemed to Cok in
documents.

Murray Freedman
Leeds UK


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen Re: Beider's Dictionary online #general

mpfreed28315861@...
 

In article <20000910222553.14351.00000700@...>,
bettejoy@... (BetteJoy) wrote:
Also having problems. Entered names in Beider's Dictionary.
Could not be found online.
I have also had similar problems.
For a very good source book (not on line) which I have recommended
before I suggest the Oxford "Dictionary of Surnames" by Hanks and
Hodges. This has a large Jewish input and should be found in most
libraries -
certainly in the UK.

Murray Freedman
Leeds UK


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen Re: KLEIN Family of "Litichev" #general

NFatouros@...
 

In part of his message of 9-10-00, Dan Cavalier asked about the town of
"Litichev, Russia." Only the day before yesterday I answered John
Zunino's inquiry about this shtetl, which he said sounded like "letachev."
I had written that:

"My 1962 Columbia Lippincott Gazetter has a entry for "Letichev," a town
which in 1926 had a population of 7,100. It is in the east Kamenets-
Podolski oblast, on the Southern Bug River, 28 miles east of Proskurov. It
did food processing and cotton milling.

Chester G. Cohen in his Shtetl Finder Gazetteer says that it is southwest
of Kiev and east of Proskurov. There is an article about the town
(probably a brief one), in the Encyclopedia Judaica."

Naomi Fatouros
NFatouros@...
Bloomington, Indiana


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen Re: Difficulties with Translating URL #general

Myron Chijner <mchijner@...>
 

Hi,
Carol Raspler mentioned that I sent her a personal translation of
the URL she had. This translation was not a personal one, but rather a
machine translation >from a personal program. The one I use is similar
to the one found at http://www.freetranslation.com

I appreciate the acknowledgement, but wanted to set the record
straight -- especially in this month of Elul.

Regards,
Myron

Myron Chijner
mchijner@...

Carol Raspler wrote:

Thanks to all who wrote in with suggestions and answers regarding a
URL I had found in my Bookmarks
that I couldn't interpret because it was in German. The best
suggestion came >from a personal friend
who recommended
http://babelfish.altavista.com/translate.dyn
which site did the job for me and I therefore, recommend to you all
for translations. . . A special
thanks to Myron Chijner who took time >from his own work to translate
the page in its entirety.


Re: Stein, Rosenberg from Daugavpils (Dvinsk) #latvia

David Edelman <pappapeach43@...>
 

Dear Barry;
I have a Benjamin Stein and Rachel Roenberg in my family. I know nothing
about their beginning, yet, but the children are:
Lillian (my maternal grandmother,); Helen; Julius; Rivka; Abe and Martha.
Benjamin was (in Brooklyn) owned a trucking company. Lillian was born in
Dvinsk, around 1900.
You say you are a certified geniologist. Are you looking for yourself, or
someone else? I might be able to get some further information.
David Edelman,
San Francisco.

MODERATOR NOTE: Please respond privately.

From: "BARRY SCHWARTZ" <schwartz.barry@...>
Reply-To: "Latvia SIG" <latvia@...>
To: "Latvia SIG" <latvia@...>
Subject: Stein, Rosenberg >from Daugavpils (Dvinsk)
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2000 17:03:37 -0400

I am researching Benjamin STEIN, born 1877in Daugavpils, and his wife,
Rachel ROSENBERG, born 1879 and died February 4, 1930, in Daugavpils.
Benjamin's father's name was Joseph; Rachel's father's name was Nison. The
y
were married in Daugavpils, around 1898-1899.

Can anyone help with tracking down birth and marriage records, or
suggestions? Thanks!

Barry A. Schwartz
Certified Professional Geologist
American Institute of Professional Geologists


Latvia SIG #Latvia Re: Stein, Rosenberg from Daugavpils (Dvinsk) #latvia

David Edelman <pappapeach43@...>
 

Dear Barry;
I have a Benjamin Stein and Rachel Roenberg in my family. I know nothing
about their beginning, yet, but the children are:
Lillian (my maternal grandmother,); Helen; Julius; Rivka; Abe and Martha.
Benjamin was (in Brooklyn) owned a trucking company. Lillian was born in
Dvinsk, around 1900.
You say you are a certified geniologist. Are you looking for yourself, or
someone else? I might be able to get some further information.
David Edelman,
San Francisco.

MODERATOR NOTE: Please respond privately.

From: "BARRY SCHWARTZ" <schwartz.barry@...>
Reply-To: "Latvia SIG" <latvia@...>
To: "Latvia SIG" <latvia@...>
Subject: Stein, Rosenberg >from Daugavpils (Dvinsk)
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2000 17:03:37 -0400

I am researching Benjamin STEIN, born 1877in Daugavpils, and his wife,
Rachel ROSENBERG, born 1879 and died February 4, 1930, in Daugavpils.
Benjamin's father's name was Joseph; Rachel's father's name was Nison. The
y
were married in Daugavpils, around 1898-1899.

Can anyone help with tracking down birth and marriage records, or
suggestions? Thanks!

Barry A. Schwartz
Certified Professional Geologist
American Institute of Professional Geologists