Date   

Interested in David Gorodek #belarus

DSzumowski@...
 

I am interested in connecting with anyone else who is researching families
from the town of David Gorodek (DG) and surrounding villages. I am also
interested in sharing responsibility for Yizkor book translation costs.

I am researching the RESNICK family that emigrated >from DG to Jersey City, NJ.
One sister Lena (Lipa) RESNICK was married to a Morris (Mowsche) ROSENFELD of
Turev, Pinsk uezed, Minsk gub. Another sister Jennie (Scheindel) was married
to a Hyman STROM of Jersey City, NJ. Scheindel travelled >from Libau with her
brother-in-law Mowsche Rosenfeld in 1913, landing in NYC.

Don Szumowski
Washington, DC
DSzumowski@aol.com

Researching BRAYER (Tsenyuv, Ukraine)
HOCHBERG (Zolochiv, Ukraine)
RESNICK (David Gorodek, Belarus)
ROSENFELD (Turev, Belarus)
MOSKOWITZ (Zolochiv, Ukraine)


Belarus SIG #Belarus Interested in David Gorodek #belarus

DSzumowski@...
 

I am interested in connecting with anyone else who is researching families
from the town of David Gorodek (DG) and surrounding villages. I am also
interested in sharing responsibility for Yizkor book translation costs.

I am researching the RESNICK family that emigrated >from DG to Jersey City, NJ.
One sister Lena (Lipa) RESNICK was married to a Morris (Mowsche) ROSENFELD of
Turev, Pinsk uezed, Minsk gub. Another sister Jennie (Scheindel) was married
to a Hyman STROM of Jersey City, NJ. Scheindel travelled >from Libau with her
brother-in-law Mowsche Rosenfeld in 1913, landing in NYC.

Don Szumowski
Washington, DC
DSzumowski@aol.com

Researching BRAYER (Tsenyuv, Ukraine)
HOCHBERG (Zolochiv, Ukraine)
RESNICK (David Gorodek, Belarus)
ROSENFELD (Turev, Belarus)
MOSKOWITZ (Zolochiv, Ukraine)


Archives for the shetl of Bykhov (Mogilev Gobernia) ?? #belarus

AGeffner@...
 

Hello,
I have had very little luck in getting any research information out of the
Minsk Historical Archives. A search was done on the info >from the Bykhov
Jewish residents, alphabetical lists, of 1861. Nothing was found. The
Bykhov District Tax census of 1870 was also reviewed, and the information
was sparce.....
Where do I go >from here? Are there any archives I can contact directly? I
have names and birth dates.. searching: ZMUDIK, ZIMOV, EHUDIN, DRIGANT,
ZEROKIN - Bykhov... Mogilev Gubernia

Thanks
Doris Becker Geffner
Long Island, N.Y.
E-mail address: ageffner@aol.com


Belarus SIG #Belarus Archives for the shetl of Bykhov (Mogilev Gobernia) ?? #belarus

AGeffner@...
 

Hello,
I have had very little luck in getting any research information out of the
Minsk Historical Archives. A search was done on the info >from the Bykhov
Jewish residents, alphabetical lists, of 1861. Nothing was found. The
Bykhov District Tax census of 1870 was also reviewed, and the information
was sparce.....
Where do I go >from here? Are there any archives I can contact directly? I
have names and birth dates.. searching: ZMUDIK, ZIMOV, EHUDIN, DRIGANT,
ZEROKIN - Bykhov... Mogilev Gubernia

Thanks
Doris Becker Geffner
Long Island, N.Y.
E-mail address: ageffner@aol.com


Re: Gwyneth PALTROW #general

mpfreed@...
 

In article <36C97F5A.8D8B1272@mediaone.net>,
mjb@mediaone.net (Michael J. Bohnen) wrote:
The London Jewish Chronicle reports that Gwyneth Paltrow is descended
from a distinguished rabbinical dyansty. Does anyone have the details?
Michael J. Bohnen
Yes. The JC issue of January 29 carried much information. Through her
father Bruce (her mother, I believe stems >from a Quaker background), she
is descended >from a Rabbi Simcha PALTROWITCH who had two brothers, both
rabbis, all in turn descended >from rabbis. Rabbi Simcha was in Buffalo NY
from 1890 to 1914. One brother Rabbi Meir went to Leeds, England, from
where I write.
At variance with the information in the JC, this brother was known as
PALTEROVITCH or PALTEROVITZ, he served in the Mariempol Synagogue in New
York City for four years in the early 1880's after which he came to England
and Leeds where he was not associated with any particular synagogue. He
died in 1899 and his wife Deborah some six years later. Both are buried in
Leeds.
Apparently the late Lord Chief Justice Taylor was a cousin as is writer and
journalist Simon Sebag- Montefiore whose recent marriage to Santa
Palmer-Tomkinson was attended by Prince Charles.


Murray Freedman
mpfreed@bigfoot.com


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen Re: Gwyneth PALTROW #general

mpfreed@...
 

In article <36C97F5A.8D8B1272@mediaone.net>,
mjb@mediaone.net (Michael J. Bohnen) wrote:
The London Jewish Chronicle reports that Gwyneth Paltrow is descended
from a distinguished rabbinical dyansty. Does anyone have the details?
Michael J. Bohnen
Yes. The JC issue of January 29 carried much information. Through her
father Bruce (her mother, I believe stems >from a Quaker background), she
is descended >from a Rabbi Simcha PALTROWITCH who had two brothers, both
rabbis, all in turn descended >from rabbis. Rabbi Simcha was in Buffalo NY
from 1890 to 1914. One brother Rabbi Meir went to Leeds, England, from
where I write.
At variance with the information in the JC, this brother was known as
PALTEROVITCH or PALTEROVITZ, he served in the Mariempol Synagogue in New
York City for four years in the early 1880's after which he came to England
and Leeds where he was not associated with any particular synagogue. He
died in 1899 and his wife Deborah some six years later. Both are buried in
Leeds.
Apparently the late Lord Chief Justice Taylor was a cousin as is writer and
journalist Simon Sebag- Montefiore whose recent marriage to Santa
Palmer-Tomkinson was attended by Prince Charles.


Murray Freedman
mpfreed@bigfoot.com


Searching: SALAMONCZYK #general

MAX HIMEL
 

Am looking for descendants of David and Henry SALAMONCZYK who came
to Toronto >from Piotrkow Poland. They likely came prior to 1920.
Max Himel


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen Searching: SALAMONCZYK #general

MAX HIMEL
 

Am looking for descendants of David and Henry SALAMONCZYK who came
to Toronto >from Piotrkow Poland. They likely came prior to 1920.
Max Himel


thanks for help #general

Joyce Peck <Joycekp@...>
 

Thanks to all who responded to my request (for a friend) for help in
locating information on a deceased NYC firefighter. He is still looking
but has some good leads now. He previously had called the NYC public
library for help, but the library charges $50 per look up he was told!!
Joyce


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen thanks for help #general

Joyce Peck <Joycekp@...>
 

Thanks to all who responded to my request (for a friend) for help in
locating information on a deceased NYC firefighter. He is still looking
but has some good leads now. He previously had called the NYC public
library for help, but the library charges $50 per look up he was told!!
Joyce


Posting Messages for "Lost" Relatives #general

Daniel Kazez <dkazez@...>
 

I know that some of the big sites for family history and genealogy
have places that people can post messages for "lost" relatives.

Do any of you know any of these site url's??


Daniel Kazez
Prof of Music / Wittenberg Univ / Ohio
kazez@wittenberg.edu

researching:
Ashkenazic--OBERMAN, TALMAN, ENGLANDER, LISS, KEIFER
Sephardic--KAZEZ, ALHADEFF, FRESKO


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen Posting Messages for "Lost" Relatives #general

Daniel Kazez <dkazez@...>
 

I know that some of the big sites for family history and genealogy
have places that people can post messages for "lost" relatives.

Do any of you know any of these site url's??


Daniel Kazez
Prof of Music / Wittenberg Univ / Ohio
kazez@wittenberg.edu

researching:
Ashkenazic--OBERMAN, TALMAN, ENGLANDER, LISS, KEIFER
Sephardic--KAZEZ, ALHADEFF, FRESKO


Re: Gerts as a given name?? #general

Adam Katzeff <adam.katzeff@...>
 

Maria Krane wrote:

I've been looking for any leads as to the name Gerts. (A new name to our
family tree). I can't seem to find it anywhere. It is a male name but
I've not seen it before.
If he was >from somewhere in the Russian empire maybe his name was a
misspelling, depending on the lack of the letter H in Russian, of the
name Hertz, in itself a variant of the common name Hirsch (Tzvi in
Hebrew).

Hope this helps

Best regards

Adam Katzeff
Malmoe, Sweden

adam.katzeff@mail.bip.net

Searching:
GOLDBERG: Lithuania; Pärnu+Tallinn, Estonia; Stockholm, Sweden
KARSON: Glasgow, Scotland KATZEFF: Lithuania; Cesis, Latvia;
Pärnu+Tallinn+Dorpat, Estonia; Stockholm+Gothenburg, Sweden;
Copenhagen, Denmark; Glasgow, Scotland; Boston, MA, USA; South Africa
NEMZOFF: Belarus; Pärnu, Estonia; Stockholm+Gothenburg, Sweden;
Copenhagen, Denmark; St Petersburg, Russia


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen SV: Gerts as a given name?? #general

Adam Katzeff <adam.katzeff@...>
 

Maria Krane wrote:

I've been looking for any leads as to the name Gerts. (A new name to our
family tree). I can't seem to find it anywhere. It is a male name but
I've not seen it before.
If he was >from somewhere in the Russian empire maybe his name was a
misspelling, depending on the lack of the letter H in Russian, of the
name Hertz, in itself a variant of the common name Hirsch (Tzvi in
Hebrew).

Hope this helps

Best regards

Adam Katzeff
Malmoe, Sweden

adam.katzeff@mail.bip.net

Searching:
GOLDBERG: Lithuania; Pärnu+Tallinn, Estonia; Stockholm, Sweden
KARSON: Glasgow, Scotland KATZEFF: Lithuania; Cesis, Latvia;
Pärnu+Tallinn+Dorpat, Estonia; Stockholm+Gothenburg, Sweden;
Copenhagen, Denmark; Glasgow, Scotland; Boston, MA, USA; South Africa
NEMZOFF: Belarus; Pärnu, Estonia; Stockholm+Gothenburg, Sweden;
Copenhagen, Denmark; St Petersburg, Russia


Re: passenger list indexes #general

Warren Blatt <wblatt@...>
 

Sheri Prager <iguana@cerf.net> wrote:

Is there a list somewhere (preferably online) that gives the volume
numbers and years that are found on the passenger list index cards?
Yes there is. See the JewishGen FAQ ("Frequently Asked Questions")
document at <http://www.jewishgen.org/infofiles/faq.html>.

Go to the section on Passenger Lists, and see the National Archives
Publication "Immigrant and Passenger Arrivals: A Select Catalog of
National Archives Microfilm Publications", a 192-page catalog,
available for $3.50 >from the National Archives.

The catalog is also available on line. Click on the on-line link
in the FAQ, and >from there, click on the port and time period of
your interest. That will lead you to a complete list of microfilm
reels, and the dates and volume numbers covered by each reel number.

Warren

Warren Blatt
Boston, MA
<wblatt@jewishgen.org>


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen re: passenger list indexes #general

Warren Blatt <wblatt@...>
 

Sheri Prager <iguana@cerf.net> wrote:

Is there a list somewhere (preferably online) that gives the volume
numbers and years that are found on the passenger list index cards?
Yes there is. See the JewishGen FAQ ("Frequently Asked Questions")
document at <http://www.jewishgen.org/infofiles/faq.html>.

Go to the section on Passenger Lists, and see the National Archives
Publication "Immigrant and Passenger Arrivals: A Select Catalog of
National Archives Microfilm Publications", a 192-page catalog,
available for $3.50 >from the National Archives.

The catalog is also available on line. Click on the on-line link
in the FAQ, and >from there, click on the port and time period of
your interest. That will lead you to a complete list of microfilm
reels, and the dates and volume numbers covered by each reel number.

Warren

Warren Blatt
Boston, MA
<wblatt@jewishgen.org>


Burial or death cert from Haifa - British Mandate #general

Barbara Murrant
 

I hope to obtain the death or burial certificate for my g grandfather, who
died in the Haifa area, Israel around 1938-1940. I have e-mailed the
Population Registry Office of the Ministy of the Interior, as suggested in
the archive, and the reply was that I should direct questions to my local
Israeli Embassy.

I would be very grateful for an address in Israel. Would a certificate
give info on parentage and birth place?

Barbara Murrant
Watford, England
barbara@murrant.freeserve.co.uk


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen Burial or death cert from Haifa - British Mandate #general

Barbara Murrant
 

I hope to obtain the death or burial certificate for my g grandfather, who
died in the Haifa area, Israel around 1938-1940. I have e-mailed the
Population Registry Office of the Ministy of the Interior, as suggested in
the archive, and the reply was that I should direct questions to my local
Israeli Embassy.

I would be very grateful for an address in Israel. Would a certificate
give info on parentage and birth place?

Barbara Murrant
Watford, England
barbara@murrant.freeserve.co.uk


Surname: LISKER #general

Hardor1@...
 

I have in my possession, a LISKER family tree >from Germany that dates
back to 1840.
Perhaps one of our Jewishgenners can assist me. It was supplied to me
by a LISKER family who profess to be non-Jews. I have no problem with
that and neither do they. Our research is to determine the origin of our
name and they are very cooperative. My main question for this forum is:
The name Gottlieb is associated with this and another LISKER family's tree
from Germany and it's a good possibility that they are related without
knowing it. Could Gottlieb be first or last name of the persons
grandfather?
There is a Christian Gottlieb LISKER, born in 1812...and what appears to
be brother#1, Johann Friedrich Gottlieb Kirsche born in 1808. #2 brother
appears to be named Johann Friedrich Rosenhahn with no mention of the name
LISKER.
Another is Johann Gottlieb Ludwig, again with no mention of the name
LISKER. I need to know why there are so many names to a Male. Does it have
anything to do with different fathers? Do German Males carry all their
father's names if there are more than one? If I can solve this mystery,
perhaps I can make more progress searching for missing Mishpoche decendants
of 1500 era Gaon Meyer LISKER of Kracow.

Any and all help greatly appreciated.
Please write to me via E mail

Hardor1@aol.com
Harvey A. Lisker
Surfside,FL USA


JewishGen Discussion Group #JewishGen Surname: LISKER #general

Hardor1@...
 

I have in my possession, a LISKER family tree >from Germany that dates
back to 1840.
Perhaps one of our Jewishgenners can assist me. It was supplied to me
by a LISKER family who profess to be non-Jews. I have no problem with
that and neither do they. Our research is to determine the origin of our
name and they are very cooperative. My main question for this forum is:
The name Gottlieb is associated with this and another LISKER family's tree
from Germany and it's a good possibility that they are related without
knowing it. Could Gottlieb be first or last name of the persons
grandfather?
There is a Christian Gottlieb LISKER, born in 1812...and what appears to
be brother#1, Johann Friedrich Gottlieb Kirsche born in 1808. #2 brother
appears to be named Johann Friedrich Rosenhahn with no mention of the name
LISKER.
Another is Johann Gottlieb Ludwig, again with no mention of the name
LISKER. I need to know why there are so many names to a Male. Does it have
anything to do with different fathers? Do German Males carry all their
father's names if there are more than one? If I can solve this mystery,
perhaps I can make more progress searching for missing Mishpoche decendants
of 1500 era Gaon Meyer LISKER of Kracow.

Any and all help greatly appreciated.
Please write to me via E mail

Hardor1@aol.com
Harvey A. Lisker
Surfside,FL USA