German reparations #germany

Lewis, Megan

Many times the office handling a reparations claim would submit a search request to what is now the Arolsen Archives.  The request would indicate which office handled the claim.  I don't know if a search would have been conducted for your grandparents since they were able to escape in 1938, but it cannot hurt to check the records on the Arolsen Archives' website

Megan Lewis, reference librarian
United States Holocaust Memorial Museum

David Seldner

They are ususally in the State Archives. But there can be a few locations for Rheinland-Pfalz, it seems they are in Koblenz.

Check here: and search for "Wiedergutmachung"

Good luck.
David Seldner, Karlsruhe, Germany


Try the Claims Conference in New York or Frankfurt

Evelyne Haendel

Bernard Flam

Hi from Paris,
I manage the Jewish genealogy workshop for Medem Center.
One of our attendees asked same question a few weeks ago, but she had one of last documents received from BEG by her mother in 2002.
For her, German administration in charge of her mother's payment is in Dusseldorf :
Here is the list of persons in charge of administration and of archives :

I guess , even if your grandparents payments weren't not managed by this office, but by another from another "land' (German county), a person from Dusseldorf will be able to give you the good address.
More directly, you could contact BEG offices, as listed by Claims conference web site :

Bernard Flam
Archives & History of Medem Center - Arbeter Ring ( Bund Workmen Circle of France)

Peter Heilbrunn



I think records may be kept at the Finance Ministry in Berlin. Alternatively they may be housed in the local State archive – Rhineland Pfalz I think. I found my father’s 500 page records in the NRW archive.






Peter Heilbrunn

Amersham England


Melissa Kahn

My grandparents left Rockenhausen, Germany in 1938 and came to NYC, and they later received reparations payments from the German government.  How can I find details of the payments, e.g., their application for payments, approval letter, and when the payments started?
Thank you,
Melissa Kahn