Leopold Hoschander Mystery Update #records

AJ <the_ravaj@...>

The SSDI information I have found gives Leopold Hoschander's last address as the US Consulate in Moroni, Comoros. When Leopold emigrated to the US, he gave his profession as a salesman working in the field of egg produce. There is no record of his moving on into a diplomatic career. Can anyone kindly explain what this could mean?

Meanwhile, in trying to access more information about Leopold's death, having checked several years' worth of the reports online of the deaths of US citizens, I then sent an inquiry to the National Archives, and was informed that death-related information must be sought from the place where he died, i.e., the "appropriate state, territory, or local bureau of vital statistics". They kindly gave me this link http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/w2w.htm to begin that search. However, there does not seem to be an option to request anything about deaths that occurred outside US sovereign territory. All suggestions for further research options gratefully received!

AJ Friedlander.

you are cordially invited over to my blog http://ravaj.blogspot.com


Hi AJ, 

Here are some thoughts, 

- the fact that Leopold gave his address as the US consulate in Moroni does not necessarily mean that he was a diplomat. Most probably he gave that address for contact while he was residing there. 
- the Comoros in 1971 were still part of France. That means that maybe you will have to search in French records in order to find more information about his death. 
-According to his sister's obituary dated from 1965 Leopold's permanent residence was in Austria. It is more probable that his wife made the arrangements to have him buried there. Maybe search also Austrian records. 

Good luck with your research. 
Giannis Daropoulos 



You might want to look at this webpage where the US National Archives discusses death notices for US citizens who died abroad.
Miriam Alexander Baker

Sherri Bobish


I believe that the death of an American citizen abroad is routinely reported to the American Consulate in the country where the U.S. citizen passed away.

It does not mean that he had any other connection to the consulate or embassy.

The following information from this site may be helpful to you:

Death of an American Abroad

U.S. Embassies and Consulates help family members in the unfortunate event of the death of an American citizen in a foreign country by:

The Consular Report of Death is required in U.S. legal proceedings instead of the foreign death certificate. You may get up to 20 certified copies of this document at no charge from the U.S. Embassy or consulate in the country where the death occurred. To request a Consular Report of Death for a specific country, select "Death of a U.S. Citizen" under U.S. Citizen Services on the embassy's website. For additional copies, contact the Passport Services Vital Records Office at 1-202-485-8300


Sherri Bobish