As mentioned previously, every month I post a listing of the IAJGS Records Access Alert topics from the previous month for you to see the variety of issues…some were posted on this discussion group but most were not—all postings are included below.
The following are the summaries for the month of June, 2022. In order not to miss out on important information it is worthwhile for you to be subscribed to the Records Access Alert.
Without records, genealogists cannot do genealogy –making certain that we retain access and gain access where it is impaired is every genealogists' responsibility.
- Today is International Archives Day!
- International Archives Day Guest Blog New IHRA Guidelines to Help Archivists with Focusing on Holocaust
- (Argentina-Google) Denegri v Google--Supreme Court Backs Google and Says "Right to be Forgotten" Can Infringe on Freedom of Information
- (Canada) Library and Archives Canada Ends Reservation System in Ottawa
- (Canada) New Privacy Reform Bill and Artificial Intelligence Bill Introduced
- (Europe-US-Google) Privacy Complaints Expected Against Google in Europe and USA
- (European Union) Court of Justice Decided Privacy Rights Above Requirements for Airlines to Provide Passenger Data to Nationals
- (European Union) EDPB Publishes Proposals for Harmonized Methodology Administrative Fees
- (European Union) Majority to Members of EU Parliament Rejected Digital Services Act After "Fine-Tuning"
- (European Union) While Not Records Access Most of Use USBs
- (European Union-United Kingdom) British Citizens Do Not Get to Keep Right to Vote in Local Elections once UK Left the Bloc
- (European Union- United Kingdom) EU Commission Launches Infringement Proceedings Against UK
- (France- Google) Google Ends French Copyright Dispute with Publishers
- (Germany-Koln) Digitized Versions of Some Holdings in Historical Archive of Köln No Longer Accessible Online
- (Ireland) Irish Watchdog Losses Appeal in CCTV Case
- (Italy-USA) Garante-the Italian Data Protection Agency Says Its A Crime to Use Google Analytics
- (Mexico, Australia, India, Google) Google Order to Pay $245 Million to Mexican Attorney
- (Netherlands) Amsterdam City Archives Has 50 Million Scans Online
- (Russia-Lithuania) Russia's Duma Legislation Nullifies Lithuanian Sovereignty
- (Russia-Ukraine) Yandex Removes National Boarders from Maps
- (Spain-Google) Google Reopens Google News in Spain After 8 Year Shut Down
- (United Nations-Ukraine) UNESCO Releases New List of Damaged Cultural Sites Across Ukraine
- (United Kingdom) Government Introduces New Data Law
- (US) S.4145 - Consumer Protection Remedies Act of 2022
- (US) Bipartisan Bill Draft Bill on Federal Data Privacy Negotiations
- (US) Federal Government Revising Race, Ethnic Terms on Census
- (US) FOIA Change Underway at DHS
- (US) Health and Location Data Protection Act Introduced
- (US) Honest Census Communications Act-HR 5815
- (US) National Archives FOIA Advisory Committee Nominations Open
- (US) Senators Asking for US to Follow EU on Mandating USB-C Charging Standard
- (US) USCIS Extends Time Period For Reply to Proposed Regulation-Request for Prem Processing Service
- (US) USCIS Revised Fee Schedule
- (US-Ukraine) USHMM Make Holocaust Related Ukrainian Archives Available Online
- (US-CA) SB 1149 Public Right to Know Act of 2022
- (US-CA) AB 1276 Live Birth Registration Chaptered
- (US-CA) Californians Can Pursue Action Over yearbook Photos Republished Without Permission
- (US-CA) Federal Jury Finds Hewlett Packard $30 M by Offering Software Updates Violating Oracle's Copyrights
- (US-NY-NYC) New York City Department of Records & Information Services Posted Notice of Adoption of Rules For Fee Schedules
- (Vatican City) Pope Orders Online Release of WWII-era Pius XII Jewish Files
The IAJGS Board of Directors approved opening the Records Access Alert to anyone who is interested in records access. This was announced previously. We now have subscribers from many genealogical organizations not previously able to subscribe.
To be on top of what is happening you are encouraged to register for the Records Access Alerts to receive the information in a timely manner. If you are interested in any of the above items, please register for the
IAJGS Records Access Alert and look at them in the archives. To register for the IAJGS Records Access Alert go to: http://lists.iajgs.org/mailman/listinfo/records-access-alerts and follow the instructions to enter your email address, full name and which
genealogical organization you belong to a society, SIG or a subscriber of JewishGen, AVOTAYNU, Legal Genealogist etc. You will receive an email response that you have to reply to, or the subscription will not be finalized.
The alerts are archived and once you register you may access the archives at: http://lists.iajgs.org/mailman/private/records-access-alerts/
The IAJGS Records Access Alert is not a daily announcement list. Depending on what happens worldwide, there may be no postings for several days and other times there may be several in one day.
These are listed alphabetically not chronologically. Each month the locales covered differ.
Jan Meisels Allen
Chairperson, IAJGS Public Records Access Monitoring Committee