Topics

A new "names" database? #names


David Lewin
 

It is an old "custom" for jewishgen contributors to end their
messages with a name, location and "names researched

Would it be possible to create a database which captures these facts
? It would be such an advantage to be able to contact individuals
based on the names they seek.

David Lewin
London


Hilary Henkin
 

Well, there does exist the JewishGen Family Finder....


Hilary Henkin

Researching:
Mogilev - BERLIN;  BELIISKI;  HENKIN - GENKIN;  MESCENIKOV;  POZ - POZE
Ekaterinoslav - KATZ; LAPIDUS;  LAVROTIN - LAVRUTIN - AVRUTIN;  PESACHINSKY; SHIMERNITSKY - SEMERNITSKY;  STEINHART
Roumania:  DONNENFIELD;  DOLLINGER;  RINCOVER - HARINCOVER;  WISENTHAL - VIESENTAUL
Harbin, China:  FELDMAN;  PENZNER;  SREBERK - SCHRIEBER;
Lublin, Poland:  KATZ;  JARMUSZ


rv Kaplan
 

Isn't there already the JewishGen Family Finder?

Harvey Kaplan
Glasgow, Scotland

KAPLAN, FAYN, FEIN, FINE, BARSD, GRADMAN

- Ariogala, Josvainiai, Kedainiai, Krakes, Seta, Veliuona, Grinkiskis, Lithuania

FELMAN, MIL(L)ER, ROSENBLOOM - Kamenets-Podolsk, Shatava, Balyn, Ukraine

TROPP, STORCH - Kolbuszowa, Cmolas,Galicia

LINDERMAN, LINDEMAN, LOPATKA, SZLAKMAN – Kutno and  Plock, Poland



On Wed, 23 Sep 2020 at 10:17, David Lewin <david@...> wrote:
It is an old "custom" for jewishgen contributors to end their
messages with a name, location and "names researched

Would it be possible to create a database which captures these facts
? It would be such an advantage to be able to contact individuals
based on the names they seek.

David Lewin
London


Ezra Magid
 

Thank you David Lewin!!
IMO, a brilliant idea.
However, a new cadre of volunteers, and a coordinator, are needed to avoid reducing the currently donated hours donated for existing projects.
In this "Digest #1216", Joel Alpert seeks volunteers for HTML coding for The Yizkor Books Projects".

I've recently learned that many high schools in The USA have MANDATORY volunteer requirements for all students.
During "social distancing, HTML coding "from the comfort of [their] home[s]" could be an attractive opportunity for students.
How many of our members have children &/or grandchildren seeking volunteer projects?

Happy New Year,
Ezra Zalman Magid
Mitzpe Ramon, Israel
Ponte Vedra, Florida USA
Researching:
RUDNITSKY: Telchany, Belarus, England, Israel, Lithuania, and Ukraine
GOLDBERG: Telchany, Minsk, and Pinsk, Belarus, NY, NY, and Cleveland, Ohio
RAZOVSKY: Brest-Litovsk, Belarus, Kansas City Kansas, Israel, and Cleveland, Ohio
WEISBERG: Tetiyev, Ukraine, and Cleveland, Ohio
TITOVER: Tetiyev, Ukraine
MAGID: The Magid Surname Project at FTDNA, MAGID and all similar names everywhere
RAGOLER: Vilna, Lithuania
KLATZKO / KLATZKIN: Vilna, Lithuania


Joan A. Baronberg
 

I want to second David Lewin's suggestion in the item above.
I would also like to take this opportunity to remind ourselves that Jewishgen started years ago as a way to reinforce the sense of "community." These days, and especially for newcomers, it seems to have developed more as a data base and even a way for people to get paid to do what they previously saw as volunteering. I don't mean to underestimate the importance of "data" nor overemphasize the importance of us operating as a "community. Rather, I want to remind us to do both and to value both.This might be a good time (between Rosh haShanah and Yom Kippur) to examine such things.
Joan Baronberg, Denver, CO, USA
joanyaffa@...
Mester, Master, Weisser, Friedman, Gerstnblith
Suchostow, Strusov, Ukraine


rv Kaplan
 

But why duplicate a database which is already providing this function?

Harvey Kaplan

On Wed, 23 Sep 2020, 15:09 Joan A. Baronberg, <joanyaffa@...> wrote:
I want to second David Lewin's suggestion in the item above.
I would also like to take this opportunity to remind ourselves that Jewishgen started years ago as a way to reinforce the sense of "community." These days, and especially for newcomers, it seems to have developed more as a data base and even a way for people to get paid to do what they previously saw as volunteering. I don't mean to underestimate the importance of "data" nor overemphasize the importance of us operating as a "community. Rather, I want to remind us to do both and to value both.This might be a good time (between Rosh haShanah and Yom Kippur) to examine such things.
Joan Baronberg, Denver, CO, USA
joanyaffa@...
Mester, Master, Weisser, Friedman, Gerstnblith
Suchostow, Strusov, Ukraine


David Lewin
 

Family finder does not give

Family name    location                researcher
BERLIN            Mogilev                 "Hilary Henkin" <hilary@...>
DONNENFIELD; Roumania            "Hilary Henkin" <hilary@...>
FAYN,                                          rvlkaplan@...
GOLDBERG      Belarus                 "Ezra Magid" <gematria58@...>
KATZ               Ekaterinoslav        "Hilary Henkin" <hilary@...>

etc etc etc

Does this need  a myriad of volunteers - or could a computer program extract this from historical email?

David Lewin


At 11:59 23/09/2020, Hilary Henkin wrote:
Well, there does exist the JewishGen Family Finder....


Hilary Henkin

Researching:
Mogilev - BERLIN;  BELIISKI;  HENKIN - GENKIN;  MESCENIKOV;  POZ - POZE
Ekaterinoslav - KATZ; LAPIDUS;  LAVROTIN - LAVRUTIN - AVRUTIN;  PESACHINSKY; SHIMERNITSKY - SEMERNITSKY;  STEINHART
Roumania:  DONNENFIELD;  DOLLINGER;  RINCOVER - HARINCOVER;  WISENTHAL - VIESENTAUL
Harbin, China:  FELDMAN;  PENZNER;  SREBERK - SCHRIEBER;
Lublin, Poland:  KATZ;  JARMUSZ


shamue@...
 

It exist . If you search a family name the first answer you get is "JewishGen Family Finder" that list all that look for this family name per town or country or worldwide depend on your setting
Tzvika SHACHAM


btkerman@...
 

I think what you describe does already exist. Look for the Family Finder.
https://www.jewishgen.org/jgff/
Binyamin Kerman
Baltimore MD
 


sharon yampell
 

Not only do you see the last name you are looking for, but you get the member name or number and a link to contact them with.

 

No matter what the subject is, as soon as I am done reading a post to the group, if someone has a signature with the families and locations they are looking for, I read through and see if there is a chance we can be related …to me, the  key is being polite and respectful…  I always apologize to the poster telling them I am sorry I can’t answer their initial post but would be willing to explore any possible family connections based on their signature if they would like to…

 

Sharon f.yampell

GenealogicalGenie@...

Voorhees, NJ

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: shamue@...
Sent: Wednesday, September 23, 2020 1:27 PM
To: main@...
Subject: Re: [JewishGen.org] A new "names" database? #names

 

It exist . If you search a family name the first answer you get is "JewishGen Family Finder" that list all that look for this family name per town or country or worldwide depend on your setting
Tzvika SHACHAM

 


rv Kaplan
 

I think it does. If you search by a particular surname, it lists surname, town, researcher.

Harvey Kaplan

On Wed, 23 Sep 2020 at 18:26, David Lewin <david@...> wrote:
Family finder does not give

Family name    location                researcher
BERLIN            Mogilev                 "Hilary Henkin" <hilary@...>
DONNENFIELD; Roumania            "Hilary Henkin" <hilary@...>
FAYN,                                          rvlkaplan@...
GOLDBERG      Belarus                 "Ezra Magid" <gematria58@...>
KATZ               Ekaterinoslav        "Hilary Henkin" <hilary@...>

etc etc etc

Does this need  a myriad of volunteers - or could a computer program extract this from historical email?

David Lewin

At 11:59 23/09/2020, Hilary Henkin wrote:
Well, there does exist the JewishGen Family Finder....


Hilary Henkin

Researching:
Mogilev - BERLIN;  BELIISKI;  HENKIN - GENKIN;  MESCENIKOV;  POZ - POZE
Ekaterinoslav - KATZ; LAPIDUS;  LAVROTIN - LAVRUTIN - AVRUTIN;  PESACHINSKY; SHIMERNITSKY - SEMERNITSKY;  STEINHART
Roumania:  DONNENFIELD;  DOLLINGER;  RINCOVER - HARINCOVER;  WISENTHAL - VIESENTAUL
Harbin, China:  FELDMAN;  PENZNER;  SREBERK - SCHRIEBER;
Lublin, Poland:  KATZ;  JARMUSZ


Marlene Dobrin
 

It used to be that family names in capitalization were a required part
of our signatures. That requirement should still be in place so other
Jewish genners can discover new relatives. Recently when looking through
the JGFamily Finder data base it seemed very antiquated to me, People
who last were on JGFF were years ago and how many are still active,
alive or interested.

For all the new and current people using Jewishgen.org, your family
names will give you a better connection to all the people currently
active. For myself I make my own file of those who could be possible
relatives and contact them when I think their may be a family connection.

Marlene Kempner Dobrin - Arizona USA
Family names: KEMPNER, POKEMPNER, PAKEMPNER, MIRVIS, RIEF, WESTERMAN,
MELMAN, SHEINKER, KRECHMER, LUNTZ, SACHS/ZOX, LITT, FLEISCHMAN,
MEYERSON/MAROVICH, HILLMAN, KOBLINITZ, SEGALL, FRIEDMAN, DOBRIN,
DOBRINSKY, SCHUMAN, ITKIN, FIRESTONE, FEIRSTEIN, FOREMAN, FUXMAN
--
Marlene Kempner Dobrin - Arizona USA
Family names: KEMPNER, POKEMPNER, PAKEMPNER, MIRVIS, RIEF, WESTERMAN, MELMAN, SHEINKER, KRECHMER, LUNTZ, SACHS/ZOX, LITT, FLEISCHMAN, MEYERSON/MAROVICH, HILLMAN, KAMENETS, SEGALL, FRIEDMAN, DOBRIN, DOBRINSKY, SCHUMAN, ITKIN, FIRESTONE, FEIRSTEIN, FOREMAN, FUXMAN


Sarah L Meyer
 

I do use the JGFF, but I agree with the idea of cleaning it up.  So many of the researchers have not been on in the last 10 years.  I do know that they do add RD for the deceased researchers, when someone reports that fact.  But many of the older researchers may no longer be able to use email- or are not actively researching.  Perhaps a better project would be to have the emails sent to those who have not been on since before this date in 2010- and ask them if they are still interested in having their names and contact information on the JGFF.  Then each year after the first, there would only be a single year to check on.  Now that said - I have been teaching a beginning Jewish genealogy class - and two Sundays ago - showed my class how to use the JGFF.  One student has already reported that he had been in contact with a woman in England, who had not been on Jewishgen since 2018 - and he "hit the jackpot".  He knew he had family in England.  She did not know that she had family in the US, and they have already figured out their relationship.
--
Sarah L Meyer
Georgetown TX
ANK(I)ER, BIGOS, KARMELEK, PERLSTADT, STOKFISZ, SZPIL(T)BAUM, Poland
BIRGARDOVSKY, EDELBERG, HITE (CHAIT), PERCHIK Russia (southern Ukraine) and some Latvia or Lithuania
https://www.sarahsgenies.com


rich.meyersburg@...
 

I have observed that the "old timers" mostly listed their family names and towns in the Family Finder, but that people joining JewishGen more recently rarely do.  For example look at any fairly common name and you will find lots of entries with numbers under 100,000 and a smaller group of numbers between 100,000 and the approximately 800,000+ currently listed, even though the latter grouping contains about 8 times as many numbers. I don't know the reason why, but I would guess that part of the reason is that more researchers now have their databases online and don't see the need to list their research needs in the Family Finder.

I wish they would.  However, it also has been my observation that about half of the people I have attempted to correspond with about their family listings in the past year, do not reply, and I rarely try to reach anyone who has not been on JewishGen in the past 4 years.

Rich Meyersburg
Laurel, MD


Sally Bruckheimer
 

"It used to be that family names in capitalization were a required part
of our signatures."

This was never true. Surnames were required to be capitalized, and you were allowed to include 6 lines of surnames (and places) to your signature.

Sally Bruckheimer
Princeton, NJ


Avraham Groll
 

Thanks for everyone's comments about this. Of equal importance to our archival collections, is our community and network of researchers around the world who join together in support of our mission. With regards to the JewishGen Family Finder (JGFF), it is an absolutely vital tool, and continues to be responsible for countless family connections. If you are not currently registered, we encourage you to do so!

With regards to the actual signatures, we have formulated our guidelines to benefit the greatest number of people (both experience researchers, and those new to the JewishGen family. Here is the guideline:

Signature:
 Please “sign” your posts and replies by including your full name at the end of your email. It’s helpful, but optional, to include your city of residence under your name, but do not include street address or phone number. You may occasionally include under your name some of the surnames and towns you are researching, not to exceed four lines. We encourage you, however, to use JewishGen’s Family Finder for this purpose, instead. https://www.jewishgen.org/jgff/ 

Avraham Groll
Executive Director
JewishGen.org


David Lewin
 

Please would Harvey Kaplan use the program and send me a list of all researchers who study the name WEINSTEIN ( or have that name themselves)

David Lewin



At 15:30 23/09/2020, rv Kaplan via groups.jewishgen.org wrote:
But why duplicate a database which is already providing this function?

Harvey Kaplan



snordlinge@...
 

I recently tried to find FRIEDMANs in Poland in JGFF and found many, but I wanted to grab the data, condense it and sort it by locality or perhaps other things like the person submitting it. This would make it easier for me to print relevant data and choose whom to contact. I brought the data into Excel 365, but it was still hard to work with. Columns B and D seemed to have no data except in the title lines, but Sort wouldn't work because the column I wanted to sort by (Town) had some "adjacent" data. When I removed those columns, the towns still wouldn't sort A - Z because of an icon at the beginning of each town entry that provides a nice link to a map and town information. That icon should be at the end of the town name. Total: more than 1500 lines including unnecessary blank lines and a ZIP code line. Many people gave only their names, so if the link no longer worked, it would be very difficult to find them. If JGFF were formatted so that it could be more easily used for common surnames, that would help. Deceased Researcher should be a separate field (column) so that researchers could concentrate on probably living people.

Stephanie Nordlinger
Los Angeles, California